CN Freight Train - 16th St. Chicago

  Contact RRT | Misc. | Locks | Keys | Home | Lanterns | Picture Gallery | Payment  

"a website for the railroad enthusiast"

All Key Sales are Final

Front Side: Macon-Dublin & Savannah Railroad Back Side: Macon-Dublin & Savannah Railroad MD&S Engine No.99   MD&S 4-4-0 No.99 passenger engine

Macon-Dublin & Savannah Railroad

Item: 2-M     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Attractive serif lettering and great patina.
The MD&S was nicknamed the "Vidalia Route."

History

The Macon & Dublin Railroad was chartered in 1885 with the modest aim of connecting its namesake towns. Construction began soon afterwards, but work came to an end in the spring of 1886 and would not be resumed until 1890. By that time the name of the company had been revised, adding "Savannah," perhaps to attract more investment in the enterprise.

Atlantic Coast Line gained control of the MD&S in 1904, possibly intending to add Macon to its service area. In 1907, Seaboard purchased a controlling interest in the MD&S. This had the advantage of preventing the smaller road from building a competing line to Savannah or becoming a Macon branch of rival ACL. It would continue as a feeder line to the SAL. This function it served for five more decades under its own name until 1958 when it was absorbed into the Seaboard.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Middlesex & Boston Street Railway Back Side: Middlesex & Boston Street Railway M&B car #137

Middlesex & Boston Street Railway

Item: 4-M     New Listing     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Deep stamp marks and superb copper like patina.

History

The Middlesex and Boston Street Railway (M&B) was a streetcar and later bus company in the area west of Boston, Massachusetts. Streetcars last ran in 1930, and in 1972 the company's operations were merged into the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA).

The company was first chartered as the Natick Electric Street Railway on August 10, 1891. The name was changed to the South Middlesex Street Railway in 1893. That company went bankrupt and a receiver was appointed May 6, 1903; the property was sold on August 15, 1907 to the newly formed Middlesex and Boston Street Railway. By 1910, Boston Suburban Electric Companies, a holding company, had bought the M&B.

There is one streetcar and one bus preserved from this railway, trolley No. 41, a former Lexington car, and bus No.192, a 1948 ACF Brill bus. They are both located at the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Michigan Central Back Side: Michigan Central Railroad MC R.R. Flag

Michigan Central Railroad

Item: 5-M     New Listing     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. 1800's-early 1900's. Stylish tapered barrel.
Superb serif lettering and patina. A early MC beauty!

History

The Michigan Central Railroad (MC) was originally incorporated in 1846 to establish rail service between Detroit, Michigan and St. Joseph, Michigan. The railroad later operated in the states of Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois in the United States, and the province of Ontario in Canada. After about 1867 the railroad was controlled by the New York Central Railroad, which later became part of Penn Central and then Conrail. After the 1998 Conrail breakup Norfolk Southern now owns much of the former Michigan Central trackage.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Michigan Central Railroad Back Side: Michigan Central Railroad MC R.R. No.7500-electric powered ALCO-GE.

Michigan Central Railroad

Item: 6-M     New Listing     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the FS/Hdw Co.
Elongated barrel. Superb serif lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

The line between Detroit and St. Joseph, Michigan was originally planned in 1830 to provide freight service between Detroit and Chicago by train to St. Joseph and via boat service on to Chicago. The Detroit & St. Joseph Railroad was chartered in 1831 with a capital of $1,500,000. The railroad actually began construction on May 18, 1836, starting at "King's Corner" in Detroit, which was the name by which the southeast corner of Jefferson and Woodward Avenue was then known.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Michigan Central Railroad Back Side: Michigan Central Railroad MC RR Flag

Michigan Central Railroad

Item: 7-M     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

A small private organization, known then as the Detroit and St. Joseph Railroad, quickly ran into problems securing cheap land in the private market, and abandonment of the project was discussed. The City of Detroit invested $50,000 in the project. The State of Michigan bailed out the railroad in 1837 by purchasing it and investing $5,000,000. The now state-owned company was renamed the Central Railroad of Michigan.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Michigan Central Railroad Back Side: Michigan Central Railroad MC R.R. wreck

Michigan Central Railroad

Item: 8-M     New Listing     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

The Michigan Central Railroad (MCR) operated mostly passenger trains between Chicago and Detroit. These trains ranged from locals to the Wolverine. In 1904, MCR began a long-term lease of Canada Southern Railway (CSR), which operated the most direct route between Detroit and New York. CSR's mainline cut through the heart of southwestern, Ontario, between Windsor and Fort Erie.

Click on image to view larger picture

Front Side: Michigan Central Railroad Back Side: Michigan Central Railroad MC R.R. wreck

Michigan Central Railroad

Item: 9-M     New Listing     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb block lettering and patina. Very nice MC key.

History - continued from above

A small private organization, known then as the Detroit and St. Joseph Railroad, quickly ran into problems securing cheap land in the private market, and abandonment of the project was discussed. The City of Detroit invested $50,000 in the project. The State of Michigan bailed out the railroad in 1837 by purchasing it and investing $5,000,000. The now state-owned company was renamed the Central Railroad of Michigan.

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Maine Central Railroad Back Side: Maine Central Railroad MC R.R. Flag

Maine Central Railroad

Item: 10-M     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged. Nice!
Superb block lettering and patina. Maine Central switch key.

History

The Maine Central Railroad Company was a former U. S. Class I railroad in central and southern Maine. It was chartered in 1856 and began operations in 1862. By 1884, Maine Central was the longest railroad in New England. Maine Central had expanded to 1,358 miles when the United States Railroad Administration assumed control in 1917. The main line extended from South Portland, Maine, east to the Canada - United States border with New Brunswick, and a Mountain Division extended west from Portland to Vermont and north into Quebec. The main line was double track from South Portland to Royal Junction, where it split into a "lower road" through Brunswick and Augusta and a "back road" through Lewiston which converged at Waterville into single track to Bangor and points east. Branch lines served the industrial center of Rumford, a resort hotel on Moosehead Lake, and coastal communities from Bath to Eastport.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Maine Central Railroad Back Side: Maine Central Railroad Maine Central (2-6-6-2)  No.1204

Maine Central Railroad

Item: 11-M     New Listing     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and patina. Possible car/refrigerator key.

History - continued from above

The Maine Central remained independent until 1981, when it became part of what is now the Pan Am Railways network in 1981.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: McKean & Buffalo Railroad Back Side: McKean & Buffalo Railroad PRR Flag

McKean & Buffalo Railroad

Item: 12-M     Price: $95.00

Remarks: Chartered 1874-1911. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and gold patina. A rarity.

History

In 1874 the McKean and Buffalo railroad (MB&R), was built from Larabee, PA into East Smethport, PA and then continued on to Clermont, PA. This railroad was mainly used for one purpose and that was to deliver coal. Once the coal was delivered it was then pressed and used for lamp oil.

In 1882 the Buffalo-New York & Philadelphia Railway, (BNY&P), purchased the McKean & Buffalo Railroad, and the 121 mile main line of the Western New York & Pennsylvania Railway in Pennsylvania. In 1883 as after purchasing a large amount of railroads earlier, emerged as the Buffalo-New York & Philadelphia Railroad Company. In late part 1887 the Western New York & Pennsylvania Railwa, (WNY&P.) purchased the Buffalo-New York & Philadelphia Railroad Company. The MB&R was then leased to the Pennsylvania Railroad, (PRR) in 1900, which the PRR finally bought on June 30, 1911. The tracks were finally taken up in the early 1970's after the line was abandoned in the late 1960's.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Maryland Central Railroad Back Side: Maryland Central Railroad Maryland Central R.R.

Maryland Central Railroad

Item: 14-M     Price: $125.00

Remarks: Chartered 1867. Early narrow gauge line.
Superb block lettering and patina.

History

The Maryland Central Railroad (MCRR) was a 19th-century 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge railroad in Maryland, with a small track section in Pennsylvania. It operated freight and passenger trains between Baltimore and Delta, Pennsylvania.

In 1889 the Maryland Central acquired control of the York and Peach Bottom Railway (Y&PB), the successor to the Peach Bottom Railway, and which terminated at Delta. Through-service trains between York, Pennsylvania and Baltimore began operation in May 1889. The Maryland Central owners were interested in expanding further north into Pennsylvania, and they made plans for a merger with the Y&PB. In 1891 the Y&PB and Maryland Central merged to form a new corporation, the Baltimore and Lehigh Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Maryland-Delaware & Virginia Railroad Back Side: Maryland-Delaware & Virginia Railroad Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company     After the Battle of Manassas     Train equipment being burned

Maryland-Delaware & Virginia Railway

Item: 15-M     Price: $195.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged?
Superb serif lettering and patina. Low serial number.


In reference to the pictures above: An estimated 56 locomotives-many weighing fifty tons-their tenders, 386 cars, 26 bridges, invaluable equipment and 36.5 miles of double track would be torn up or removed in the service of the Confederacy, the aggrieved courtesy of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company.

History

The carrier was incorporated on January 30, 1905, in the States of Maryland and Delaware, for the purpose of consolidating the properties of the Maryland-Delaware & Virginia Railroad Company of Delaware, and the Maryland-Delaware & Virginia Railroad Company. Its principal office is at Wilmington, Del. The two predecessor companies had been previously incorporated on January 28, 1905, for the purpose of acquiring the properties of the Quenn Anne's Railroad Company, The Weems Steamboat Company and the Chester River Steamboat Company, and had a paper existence for two days prior to their consolidation to form the carrier.

Controlled by the Baltimore-Chesapeake & Atlantic Railway Company the line extended from Love Point, Md., to Lewes, Del., a distance of 72.959 miles, with a branch from Queenstown, Md., to Centreville, Md., a distance of 5.385 miles, together with certain steamer lines operating out of Baltimore, Md.

From what little information I could gather, the PRR absorbed the MD&V in 1923.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Midland Railway of Canada Back Side: Midland Railway of Canada GT R.R. Flag

Midland Railway of Canada

Item: 16-M     Price: $165.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina. Low serial number.
Key is listed in the "American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History

The Midland Railway of Canada was a historical Canadian railway which ran from Port Hope, Ontario to Midland on Georgian Bay. The line was originally intended to run to Peterborough, but the competing Cobourg and Peterborough Railway was completed in 1854 and the owner's plans changed. Redirecting the line northward, it opened as the Port Hope-Lindsay & Beaverton Railway, a much longer line than originally planned. A further expansion launched in 1869 pushed the line westward towards Georgian Bay, and prompted renaming as the Midland Railway.

By the 1880s the area east of Toronto was over-served by a number of short and generally unprofitable lines. Merger plans between the various lines began in 1881, which resulted in the Midland adding a third rail to the Toronto & Nipissing Railway's (T&N) narrow-gauge line to allow Midland trains to follow the T&N lines into Scarborough. The merger was officially completed in 1881. On 10 March 1882 the company arranged an enormous merger of many of the smaller railways in the area, including the Whitby-Port Perry & Lindsay Railway, Victoria Railway, Toronto & Ottawa Railway and Grand Junction Railway to become a greatly expanded Midland Railway with 474 miles (763 km) of track. Only two years later the Grand Trunk Railway leased most of the lines in the area as part of a major expansion plan, and purchased them outright in 1893.

The Midland was one of the earliest examples of a rail trail conversion in Ontario, started as a Canadian Centennial project. Today, the Midland Railway mainline forms a major portion of the Ganaraska Hiking Trail, the majority of which was opened in 1969.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Mine Hill Railroad Back Side: Mine Hill Railroad P&R R.R. Flag     Life of a coal miner

Mine Hill Railroad

Item: 17-M     Price: $185.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Serial #4.
Superb block lettering and patina.
MH merged into the Reading. Nice eastern oldie!

History

The Mine Hill & Schuylkill Haven Railroad Company was incorporated under the laws of Pennsylvania on March 24, 1828, and was leased by the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company on May 12, 1864. It was extinguished by merger into the Reading Company on October 1, 1951.

The railroad of the Mine Hill & Schuylkill Haven Railroad Company, consisted of three main lines, all in Pennsylvania, extending from Schuylkill Haven to Mine Hill Gap, from Ashland to Locust Summit, and from Westwood to Tremont, with short branches reaching out to numerous coal mines along the line, comprising a total of 62.519 miles of road. The main lines between Schuykill Haven and Mine Hill Gap and between Ashland and Locust Summit were double track.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Mill Creek & Mine Hill Railroad Back Side: Mill Creek & Mine Hill Railroad P&R R.R. Flag

Mill Creek & Mine Hill Railroad

Item: 18-M     Price: $245.00

Remarks: ca. mid-late 1800's. Stylish ring barrel.
Superb serif lettering and two-tone patina. On July 25, 1861,
for a term of 999 years, this line was leased to the Philadelphia & Reading.
This key + Mine Hill key above = superb set!

History

The Mill Creek and Mine Hill was incorporated July 15, 1829, by special act of Pennsylvania. The owned mileage of the Mill Creek and Mine Hill, amounting to 5.637 miles, was originally constructed as a horse railroad in 1829. It was reconstructed to a standard-gage steam railroad in 1845 and 1846.

At the time of it's construction, it's 4 1/2 mile length made it the second longest railroad in the United States, exceeded only by the nine mile line that served the mines at Mauch Chunk. The railroad served the population of St. Clair and also a small rural clientele along the narrow, forested, hill-hemmed valley of Mill Creek, and its spurs ran to the coal workings.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Monongahela Railway Back Side: Monongahela Railway M Ry Flag

Monongahela Railway

Item: 19-M     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Fraim/Slaymaker Co.
Superb serif lettering and patina. Elongated barrel.

History

The Monongahela Railroad was a joint enterprise of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad (P&LE) and the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) and used for coal transportation throughout southwestern Pennsylvania and northern West Virginia. In 1927, the Baltimore & Ohio Railway (B&O) purchased a share of the Monongahela Railroad. This made them a partner in the Monongahela Railroad until its sale and absorption into the Conrail Corporation (CR) in 1993.

In 1915, while still owned by the PL&E and PRR, the Monongahela Railroad consolidated with the Buckhannon & Northern Railroad forming the Monongahela Railway Company (MRY).

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Montana Eastern Railroad Back Side: Montana Eastern Railroad GN R.R. Flag

Montana Eastern Railroad

Item: 20-M     Price: $245.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged.
Superb block lettering and patina. Operated 1913-28.
Financed by the GN, it's of little surprise the ME was merged into the GN.

History

The Montana Eastern was incorporated under the general laws of Montana on November 23, 1912, for a period of 40 years. The articles of incorporation were also filed in North Dakota on December 30, 1912. Its stated purpose was to acquire, construct, maintain, and operate a railroad beginning at or near Lewistown, Fergus County, Mont., in an easterly direction to a point at or near Fairview, Mont., thence easterly, to New Rockford, N. Dak., approximately 555 miles; also a line from Fairview, Mont., in a general northerly direction, to Snowden, Mont., about 24 miles.

The only trackage used solely by the Great Northern under agreement (formal lease executed July 1, 1915) is the railroad of Montana Eastern Railway Company, herein called the Montana Eastern, which is solely operated by the Great Northern. This is a single-track line extending southerly from Snowden to Fairview, Mont., with two branches. One branch extends from Fairview, Mont., easterly to Watford, N. Dak., and the other extends southwesterly from Fairview to Sidney, Mont., and from Newlon to Lambert, Mont. The portion between Sidney and Newlon is not owned, but the tracks of Northern Pacific Railway Company are used between these points by trackage rights, making one continuously operated branch between Fairview and Lambert. The total length of line owned by the Montana Eastern is 83.067 miles.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway Back Side: Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway MKT R.R. Flag

Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway

Item: 21-M     aka the "Katy"    Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Handsome wide tapered barrel.
Superb block lettering and two-tone patina.

History

The MKT was incorporated May 23, 1870. In its earliest days the MKT (the railroad's reporting mark) was commonly referred to as the "K-T," which was its stock exchange symbol; this common designation soon evolved into "the Katy."

The Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (reporting mark MKT) was a former Class I railroad company in the United States, with its last headquarters in Dallas. Established in 1865 under the name Union Pacific Railway, Southern Branch, it came to serve an extensive rail network in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri. In 1988, it merged with the Missouri Pacific Railroad and is now part of Union Pacific Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway Back Side: Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway MKT RR Engine No.142

Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway

Item: 22-M     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Wide tapered barrel.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

The Katy was the first railroad to enter Texas from the north. Eventually the Katy's core system would grow to link Kansas City and St. Louis, Missouri; Tulsa and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Dallas, Fort Worth, Waco, Temple, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Galveston, Texas. An additional mainline between Fort Worth and Salina, Kansas, was added in the 1980s after the collapse of the Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad; this line was operated as the Oklahoma-Kansas & Texas Railroad (OKKT).

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway Back Side: Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway Texas Special

Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway

Item: 23-M     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and patina. Nice Katy oldie!

History - continued from above

The Hollis & Eastern Railroad (H&E) was originally constructed by the Altus-Wichita Falls & Hollis Railway and the Wichita Falls & Northwestern Railway in 1912. Both of these predecessor railroads were part of the "Wichita Falls Route" and were soon purchased by the MKT.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway Back Side: Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway Movie epic Giant

Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway

Item: 24-M     New Listing     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged?
Superb serif lettering and rustic copper patina.

History - See 21-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway Back Side: Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway The Katy

Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway

Item: 25-M     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Elongated barrel. Nice block lettering and gold patina.
Key has a different style bit then the Katy keys listed above.
Possible post merger Katy/ Hollis & Eastern style key bit.

History - See 21-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Michigan Limestone & Chemical Co. Back Side: Michigan Limestone & Chemical Co. ML Switch Engines No.108 & No.109

Michigan Limestone & Chemical Co. Railroad

Item: 26-M     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History

Michigan Limestone and Chemical Company (a.k.a. "Michigan Limestone") operates the world's largest limestone quarry located near Rogers City, Michigan. It was founded in 1910, however production didn't begin until 1912. Ownership of the quarry has changed a number of times in recent years, but it is still one of the country's largest producers of limestone.The limestone which it uses is found in the limestone deposit underground in the northeastern part of Northern Michigan near Alpena just south of Rogers City along the shore of Lake Huron.

The railroad has just a couple engines two SW10's and possibly still a old Baldwin. This line is one of the most undershot railroads in Michigan and their operation's vary with the boats.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Michigan Midland Railroad Back Side: Maryland Mining Company MC R.R. train

Michigan Midland Railroad

Item: 27-M     New Listing     Price: $325.00

Remarks: ca. 1800's. Extra fine pocket wear. A very rare key.
Superb block lettering and patina. Stylish accent ring.
FAI initials = acronym for a particular YARD.

Key has the same style bit as a CPR key, which could indicate the key was also utilized on the Michigan Midland and Canada railroad.

History

In 1876 the Michigan Midland was purchased by the Michigan Midland and Canada Railroad. The stock of the company was controlled by the Canada Southern Railway, and the road was operated by the Michigan Central Railroad, the last named company having leased the entire Canada Southern System in 1883.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Milwaukee Northern Railway Back Side: Milwaukee Northern Railway MKT R.R. Flag

Milwaukee Northern Railway

Item: 28-M     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Nice block lettering and pocket wear. A great Milwaukee oldie!
Same style cut as MN RY key below.

History

The Milwaukee Northern Railway was incorporated in Ozaukee County on October 25, 1905.One of the founders was John E. Uselding of Port Washington, who was a County Judge from 1914 to 1931. The other 2 founders were from Sheboygan County. The main offices and shops were to be located in Cedarburg and the venture was to be financed through an initial offering of $100,000 in capital stock. Actual construction of the track for the interurban electric railway took place just northeast of Cedarburg on April 6, 1906. The first interurban from Milwaukee to Cedarburg was put into operation on October 28, 1907. About 10 days later, the track from Cedarburg to Port Washington was opened. On September 22, 1908, the entire 57 mile line from downtown Milwaukee to downtown Sheboygan was opened for service.

Service to Sheboygan was discontinued on Sept 23, 1940. This action probably was the beginning of the end. The interurban was heavily used during World War II, but the number of passengers began to dwindle after the war. March 28, 1948 marked the end of interurban service from Milwaukee to Port Washington. Service from downtown Milwaukee to Racine, Kenosha, Burlington, East Troy, Waukesha and Watertown also saw a decrease in ridership, and by 1951, the interurban "was no more."

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Milwaukee Northern Railway Back Side: Milwaukee Northern Railway MN RR Flag

Milwaukee Northern Railway

Item: 29-M     Car Key     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Attractive gold patina.
Deeply stamped block lettering and nice pocket wear.

History - See 26-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Montour Railroad Back Side: Montour Railroad Montour coal train     Montour R.R. Flag     Montour Railroad system map

Montour Railroad

Item: 30-M     Price: $135.00

Remarks: ca. very early 1900's. Forged by J.H.W. Climax Co.
Attractive serif lettering and gold patina.
Double accent rings nicely pocket worn.

History

Montour Railroad (reporting mark MTR) is a former short line railroad company operating passenger and freight service on standard gauge track in southwestern Pennsylvania. At its height in the 1930s, the railroad served 27 mines transporting nearly seven million tons of coal annually in Allegheny and Washington Counties.

The Montour Railroad Company was chartered in 1877 as a wholly owed subsidiary of the Imperial Coal Company. The first segment constructed extended from the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad line at Montour Junction, near Coraopolis, Pennsylvania to the Imperial Coal Company mines at Imperial, Pennsylvania. In 1901 the Pittsburgh Coal Company assumed control of the railroad. A major expansion was undertaken in 1912 to reach new coal mines and factories. By 1917 the town of West Mifflin, Pennsylvania on the Monongahela River was reached. The Montour Railroad became an important feeder line and eventually all five major truck carriers in the southwestern Pennsylvania market were linked to the Montour Railroad. In 1946 the Pittsburgh Coal Company sold the Montour Railroad to the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad, a subsidiary of the New York Central Railroad who operated it jointly. The P&LE acquired sole control of the Montour Railroad in 1975.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Montour Railroad Back Side: Montour Railroad Montour switcher No.80

Montour Railroad

Item: 31-M     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Attractive block lettering and copper patina.

History - See 29-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Montoursville Passenger Co Back Side: Montoursville Passenger Co Montoursville Passenger Company

Montoursville Passenger Co

Item: 32-M     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
A Pennsy interurban. Attractive serif lettering and two-tone patina.

History

Almost since the day electric cars were introduced, accidents had been a concern of some citizens. Most accidents were blamed on excessive speed, which reached about twenty miles per hour. Responding to public outrage over the problem, City Council passed an ordinance in 1895 limiting streetcar speed to eight-to-ten miles per hour.

In 1897, a second line running outside the city went into service. This was the Montoursville line, owned and operated by the Montoursville Passenger Railway Company, which in turn was owned by a Philadelphia firm, the Tennis Construction Company. The line connected with the Third Street line in Williamsport, and a passenger could travel from Montoursville to Market Square for ten cents. The cars ran every half-hour and the trip took 30 minutes, about half the time it had previously taken by horse-and-buggy or train.

In 1924 the Montoursville Railway Company, owned since 1909 by a group of local investors, was also sold to Pennsylvania Power and Light Company. At the time of the sale, the company was more than $80,000 in debt and had not shown a profit for nearly ten years. PP&L was only interested in the acquisition because of the power company which the railway owners also controlled. The streetcar interests were sold to the Lycoming Auto Transit Company, which brought in three new buses to replace the streetcars. The streetcars ran for the last time on August 7, 1924.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Montana Rail Link Back Side: Montana Rail Link Montana Rail Link Flag

Montana Rail Link

Item: 33-M     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. late 1900's. Keyline forged.
Nice block lettering and patina.

History

Montana Rail Link (reporting mark MRL) is a privately held Class II railroad in the United States. MRL, which operates on trackage originally built by the Northern Pacific Railway, is a unit of the Washington Companies, and is headquartered in Missoula, Montana.

The railroad runs between Huntley, Montana and Spokane, Washington, largely within Montana, and the main line passes through the towns of Missoula, Livingston, Bozeman, Billings, and Helena. Montana Rail Link connects with the BNSF Railroad on both ends and also in Garrison, Montana. The railroad has over 900 miles (1,400 km) of track, serves 100 stations, and employs approximately 1,000 personnel. The main yard is in Laurel, Montana, with smaller yards located in Missoula, Billings, and Helena.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad Back Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad MoPac R.R. Flag

Missouri Pacific Railroad

Item: 34-M     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Superb block lettering.
Very nice looking steel MOP key.

History

The Missouri Pacific Railroad, commonly abbreviated MoPac, was one of the first railroads in the United States west of the Mississippi River. MoPac was a Class I railroad growing from dozens of predecessors and mergers; Texas & Pacific Railway, Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad, St. Louis-Brownsville & Mexico Railway, Kansas-Oklahoma & Gulf Railway, Midland Valley Railroad, San Antonio, Uvalde & Gulf Railroad, Gulf Coast Lines, International-Great Northern Railroad, New Orleans-Texas & Mexico Railway Missouri-Illinois Railroad, as well as the small Central Branch Railway (an early predecessor of MP in Kansas and south central Nebraska), and joint ventures such as the Alton & Southern Railroad (AS).

On July 4, 1851, at St. Louis, ground was broken on the Pacific Railroad, the earlier predecessor of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. The first section of track was completed in 1852; in 1865, it was the first railroad in Kansas City, after construction was interrupted by the American Civil War. In 1872, the Pacific Railroad was reorganized as the Missouri Pacific Railway by new investors after a railroad debt crisis. Because of corporate ties extending back to the Pacific Railroad, Missouri Pacific at one time advertised itself as being - the First Railroad West of the Mississippi.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad Back Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad MoPac engine No.152 and crew

Missouri Pacific Railroad

Item: 35-M     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Attractive block lettering and superb two-tone patina.
The Kansas collector who owned this key, tagged and wrote,
that a MoPac conductor used this key from 1920 until he retired.

History - continued from above

From 1879 Missouri Pacific was under the control of successful but controversial New York financier Jay Gould until his death in 1892. Gould developed a system extending through Colorado, Nebraska, Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana. His son George Gould inherited control upon his father's death. The younger Gould lost control of the company after it declared bankruptcy in 1915. In 1917 the line was merged with the St. Louis-Iron Mountain & Southern Railway (SLIMS) and reorganized as the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Missouri Pacific later acquired or gained a controlling interest in other lines in Texas, including the Gulf Coast Lines, International-Great Northern Railroad and the Texas & Pacific Railway. MoPac declared bankruptcy again in 1933, during the Great Depression, and entered into trusteeship. The company was reorganized and the trusteeship ended in 1956.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad Back Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad MoPac R.R. Flag

Missouri Pacific Railroad

Item: 36-M     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Fraim/Slaymaker Co.
Dark serif lettering and superb patina.

History - continued from above

On January 8, 1980, the Union Pacific Railroad agreed to buy the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Lawsuits filed by competing railroads delayed approval of the merger until September 13, 1982. After the Supreme Court denied a trial to the Southern Pacific, the merger took effect on December 22, 1982. However, due to outstanding bonds of the Missouri Pacific, the merger with Union Pacific become official only on January 1, 1997.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad Back Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad San Antonio Southern locomotive

Missouri Pacific Railroad

Item: 37-M     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Fraim/Slaymaker Co.
Attractive serif lettering and superb patina.

History - See 34-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad Back Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad MoPac R.R. Flag

Missouri Pacific Railroad

Item: 38-M     New Listing     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. A nice MOP oldie!

History - See 34-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad Back Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad UP heritage locomotive No.1982

Missouri Pacific Railroad

Item: 39-M     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Fraim/Slaymaker Co.
Attractive serif lettering and superb patina.

History - See 34-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad Back Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad MoPac R.R. Flag

Missouri Pacific Railroad

Item: 40-M     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History - See 34-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad Back Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad MoPac engine GP-18 No.1776

Missouri Pacific Railroad

Item: 40-M     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Attractive serif lettering and gold patina.

History - See 34-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad Car Dept. Back Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad Car Dept. People Watching Movie

Missouri Pacific Railroad

Item: 41-M     Car Department     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

History - See 34-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad MofW Back Side: Missouri Pacific Railroad MofW MoPac engine GP-18 No.1776

Missouri Pacific Railroad

Item: 42-M     MofW     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Slaymaker Co.
Attractive block lettering and superb patina.

History - See 34-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific & Texas Pacific Railroad Back Side: Missouri Pacific & Texas Pacific Railroad MP & TP R.R. Flag        MP & TP R.R. Flag

Missouri Pacific & Texas Pacific Railroad

Item: 43-M     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History

The T&P had a significant foothold in Texas by the mid-1880s. Construction difficulties delayed westward progress, until American financier Jay Gould acquired an interest in the railroad in 1879. The T&P never reached San Diego; instead it met the Southern Pacific at Sierra Blanca, Texas, in 1881.

The Missouri Pacific Railroad, also controlled by Gould, leased the T&P from 1881 to 1885 and continued a cooperative relationship with the T&P after the lease ended. Missouri Pacific gained majority ownership of the Texas & Pacific Railway's stock in 1928 but allowed it to continue operation as a separate entity until they were eventually merged on October 15, 1976. On January 8, 1980, the Missouri Pacific Railroad was purchased by the Union Pacific Railroad. Because of lawsuits filed by competing railroads, the merger was not approved until September 13, 1982. However, due to outstanding bonds of the Missouri Pacific, the actual merger with the Union Pacific Railroad took place on January 1, 1997.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Missouri Pacific & Texas Pacific Railroad Back Side: Missouri Pacific & Texas Pacific Railroad Railway ticket, circa 1950s, depicting the Texas Eagle train

Missouri Pacific & Texas Pacific Railroad

Item: 44-M     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Attractive serif lettering and great patina.

History - See 42-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Ma & Pa Railroad Back Side: Ma & Pa Railroad Ma-Pa R.R. Flag

Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad

Item: 45-M     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and two-tone patina.
Memorabilia collectors of this railroad compete with the
Ma & Pa Historical Society for the railroad's relics. A rarity!

History

The Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad familiarly known as the "Ma & Pa," was an American short-line railroad between York and Hanover, Pennsylvania, formerly operating passenger and freight trains on its original line between York and Baltimore, Maryland, from 1901 until the 1950s. The Ma and Pa was popular with railfans in the 1930s and 1940s for its antique equipment and curving, picturesque right-of-way through the hills of rural Maryland and Pennsylvania. Reflecting its origin as the unintended product of the merger of two 19th-century narrow gauge railways, the meandering Ma and Pa line took 77.2 miles (124 km) to connect Baltimore and York, although the two cities are only 45 miles (72 km) apart in a straight line.

Passenger service was discontinued on August 31, 1954, and the section from Baltimore to Whiteford, Maryland (just south of the Mason-Dixon line demarcating the Pennsylvania-Maryland border) was abandoned in June 1958. Most of the remaining original railroad line was abandoned by 1984. The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad acquired a former 19-mile (31 km) Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) branch line between York and Hanover in the 1980s, now operated by a successor corporation, York Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Memphis-Selma & Brunswick Railroad Back Side: Memphis-Selma & Brunswick Railroad M&C R.R. engine No.9

Memphis-Selma & Brunswick Railroad

SOLD     Price: $425.00

Remarks: Operated 1881-85. Lucky serial No.13. Very rare key.
Superb serif lettering and patina. A 136 year old beauty.

History

The Memphis-Selma & Brunswick Railroad was formed in 1881 as a merger of the Memphis Holly Springs & Selma RR and the Selma Marion & Memphis RR, neither of which had laid any track yet. The Memphis Selma & Brunswick RR completed a railroad from Memphis to Holly Springs, MS, a distance of 43 miles, by 1885. On November 14, 1885, it was sold to the Memphis Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Mobile & Ohio Back Side: Mobile & Ohio M&O RR Flag

Mobile & Ohio Railroad

Item: 46-M     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Fraim/Slaymaker Co.
Elongated barrel. Block lettering and nice patina.
Line now part of CSX. Similar style cut as a L&A key

History

Chartered in 1848, the Mobile & Ohio Railroad was conceived after hard times in Mobile following the Panic of 1837. The port was not generating the business that it had before the panic and businessmen and citizens in the city were inspired with a plan for a railroad to restore commerce to the city. The first section of track opened for service in 1852 between Mobile and Citronelle, Alabama and was constructed in 5 ft (1,524 mm). The line made it to Columbus, Kentucky on April 22, 1861, steamboats were then used to connect with the llinois Central Railroad at Cairo.

The start of the Civil War shortly after the completion of the line saw it converted to military use and it quickly became a military target for both sides during the war. Following the conflict the M&O had to be almost entirely rebuilt and was facing near total financial ruin due in part to an unpaid debt of $5,228,562 that had been owed by the Confederate government. It was placed in receivership in 1875 and did not emerge until eight years later.

By 1870 the operators had seen the need to complete the line all the way to Cairo and make it the northern terminus instead of Columbus, but financial problems stood in the way. Finally on May 1, 1882 the extension to Cairo was opened. The company then acquired the "St. Louis & Cairo Railroad ", which was narrow gauge. They converted it to standard gauge and had a line from Mobile to St. Louis, Missouri

The M&O's stockholders and bondholders accepted a stock exchange plan in 1901 from Southern Railway. A merger of the two was attempted in 1902 but vetoed by Mississippi governor James K. Vardaman. Thereafter the M&O continued operations under Southern's control. From 1908 the M&O was considered to be a highly prosperous railroad, but net income declined sharply after 1926 and by 1930 the M&O had a net deficit of almost $1,000,000. On June 3, 1932, the M&O went into the receivership yet again. Southern was accused of having violated the Clayton Antitrust Act by using the M&O for its own profit at the expense of the M&O, though the case was dropped in 1933. Southern sold its M&O bonds in 1940 to the Gulf-Mobile & Northern Railroad. The GM&N was then combined with the M&O to form the Gulf-Mobile & Ohio Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway Back Side: Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway M&STL R.R. Flag

Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway

Item: 47-M     New Listing     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by Adlake Co.
Large thin hilt. Attractive block lettering and patina.
A popular railroad among a diverse group of collectors.
Given the moniker, "Misery and Short Life."

History

The Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway (M&StL) was an American Class I railroad that built and operated lines radiating south and west from Minneapolis, Minnesota which existed for 90 years from 1870 to 1960.

The railway's most important route was between Minneapolis and Peoria, Illinois; a second major route extended from Minneapolis into eastern South Dakota, and other trackage served various areas in north-central Iowa and south-central Minnesota. The M&StL was founded in 1870, and expanded through line construction and acquisition until the early 20th century. Most of the railway's routes saw only relatively light traffic, and consequently the company's financial position was frequently precarious; the railroad operated under bankruptcy protection between 1923 and 1943. The M&StL was acquired by the Chicago & North Western Railway in 1960, and much of its former trackage was later abandoned.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway Back Side: Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway Crew

Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway

Item: 48-M     New Listing     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and patina. First time
I've seen this style bit, could be MofW dept. key.

History - continued from above

Large sections of the former M&StL were abandoned in the 1960s and 1970s. The Minnesota Western Railroad (aquired in the early 60's), was ripped up in two stages between 1968 and 1970. In the end, GN's Ralph Budd had been right about the M&StL in 1927 after a goodwill inspection tour, predicting the company would never survive. The company survived another 33 years to 1960, but the M&StL was one of the earliest victims of the mass mergers in the railroad industry of the 1950s and 1960s ending M&StL's career as a stand-alone carrier and resulting in the eventual abandonment of nearly the entire property.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Midland Valley Railroad Back Side: Midland Valley Railroad MV R.R. Flag

Midland Valley Railroad

Item: 49-M     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Fine pocket wear and nice two-tone patina.
This MV key has a Kansas City-Oklahoma & Gulf style cut.

History

The Midland Valley Railroad was incorporated on June 4, 1903 for the purpose of building a line from Hope, Arkansas, through Muskogee and Tulsa, Oklahoma to Wichita, Kansas. It was backed by C. Jared Ingersoll, a Philadelphia industrialist who owned coal mining properties in Indian Territory (now part of the state of Oklahoma). The railroad took its name from Midland, Arkansas, a coal mining town in western Arkansas, which was served by the railroad. The Midland Valley gained access to Fort Smith, Arkansas via trackage rights over the Frisco from Rock Island, Oklahoma.

Muskogee, Oklahoma, was home to the Midland Valley's headquarters and shops. In 1925, the Midland Valley acquired the Kansas-Oklahoma & Gulf Railway. Both railroads were owned by the Muskogee Company, a holding company, which purchased a third railroad Oklahoma City-Ada-Atoka Railway in 1929. Muskogee Company was headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. All three railroads were operated as more or less common property by the Muskogee Company until sale of all threes to the Missouri Pacific Railroad (MoPac) in 1964. The Midland Valley was merged into the Texas & Pacific Railroad (T&P), a MoPac subsidiary on April 1, 1967. MoPac merged into the Union Pacific Railroad in 1983. Operated as branchlines for a number of years, most of the Midland Valley has now been abandoned.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Midland Valley Railroad Back Side: Midland Valley Railroad MoPac R.R. Flag

Midland Valley Railroad

Item: 50-M     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Fine pocket wear and nice two-tone patina. "C" type key bit.

History - See 49-M

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Morris & Essex Railroad Back Side: Morris & Essex Railroad Lackawanna R.R. Flag

Morris & Essex Railroad

Item: 51-M     Price: $165.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the Romer Co.
Superb serif lettering and silver patina. Nice tapered ring barrel.

History

Morris & Essex Railroad (M&E) was chartered in 1835 and it's first trains (horse-drawn) operated in 1836, steam locomotives followed in 1837. The Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad became the leaseholder with an agreement dated Dec. 10, 1868 and took control January 1, 1869. It was known as the Morris & Essex Division.

The DL&W built the New Jersey cut-off, a long low-grade bypass in northwestern New Jersey, opened in 1911 from the M&E at Port Morris west to Slateford Junction just inside Pennsylvania. On July 26, 1945 the M&E was formally merged into the DL&W. However it remained the Morris & Essex Division, and even today New Jersey Transit calls it the Morris & Essex Lines. In 1960 the DL&W merged with the Erie Railroad to form the Erie Lackawanna Railroad, becoming part of Conrail in 1976.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Maine Central Railroad Back Side: Maine Central Railroad MC R.R. Flag

Maine Central Railroad

Item: 52-M     coach/caboose key     Price: $30.00

Click on image to view larger picture


Dates quoted for keys are approximate dates. Railroad switch keys initials (reporting mark) are assumed to be correct and accurate.
Comments on any railroad initials origin, including (typos), are welcome. Last update 12/21/2017

Top

contact webmaster