CN Freight Train - 16th St. Chicago

  Contact RRT | Misc. | Locks | Keys | Home | Lanterns | Picture Gallery | Payment  

"a website for the railroad enthusiast"

All Key Sales are Final
Front Side: N de M Railroad Back Side: N de M Railroad An N de M passenger train at Mexico City in 1984     N de M Flag     A railyard in Mexico

N de M Railroad

SOLD     Price: $100.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. State owned 1938-1998.
Superb serif lettering and patina.
Different style cut then NdeM key below.

History

Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Mexico, (better known as N de M) was Mexico's state owned railroad company from 1938 to 1998, and prior to 1938 (dating from the regime of Porfirio Diaz) a major railroad controlled by the government that linked Mexico City to the major cities of Nuevo Laredo and Ciudad Juarez on the U.S. border. The first trains to Nuevo Laredo from Mexico City began operating in 1903.

N de M absorbed the Mexican Central Railroad (Ferrocarril Central Mexicano, first section from Mexico City to Leon, Guanajuato, opened in 1882) in 1909, thus acquiring a second border gateway at Ciudad Juarez (adjacent to El Paso, Texas). The N de M was nationalized by President Lazaro Cardenas del Rio in 1938, and privatized 60 years later by President Ernesto Zedillo. N de M operated most railway trackage through the central and northeastern regions of the republic.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: N de M Railroad Back Side: N de M Railroad NdeM R.R. Flag

N de M Railroad

SOLD     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Nationalized in 1938.
Superb serif lettering and patina.
Different style cut then NdeM key above.

History - continued from above

During the days of steam locomotives, N de M was best known for operating Niagara class locomotives, which took their name from the New York Central Railroad locomotives of the same wheel configuration. It was also the home of several narrow gauge systems that used steam, both nationally and regionally. N de M was one of the few railroads outside the US to purchase new diesel locomotives from Baldwin Locomotive Works. In Acambaro, Guanajuato, N de M operated one of the few facilities in Latin America that was capable of constructing and doing complete rebuilds of steam locomotives, thus with rare exceptions (as with the Niagaras), most of N de M steam motive power was purchased used and rebuilt there. Portions of the facility and a preserved 2-8-0 steam locomotive remain as part of Acambaro's municipal railway museum.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Northampton & Bath Railroad Back Side: Northampton & Bath Railroad Nashville-Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad locomotive

Northampton & Bath Railroad

Item: 3-N     New Listing     Price: $130.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb serif lettering and copper patina.

History

Chartered in 1902, this shortline railroad connected from the LV, CNJ, and RDG at Northampton to the L&NE and DL&W at Bath.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Nashville-Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad Back Side: Nashville-Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad NC&StL R.R. Flag

Nashville-Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad

Item: 5-N     Price: $125.00

Remarks: Operated from 1851-1957. Forged by the Slaymaker Co.
Excellent serif lettering and superb dark chocolate patina.

History

The Nashville-Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway was a railway company operating in the southern United States in Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia. It began as the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad, chartered in Nashville in December 11, 1845, built to 5 ft (1,524 mm) gauge and was the first railway to operate in the state of Tennessee. From this link between two Tennessee cities, it gradually grew until it formed one of the important railway systems of the South by the turn of the twentieth century.

During the Civil War the rail line was strategic to both the Union and Confederate armies. The Tennessee campaigns of 1862 and 1863 saw Union troops force the Confederates from Nashville to Chattanooga along the line of the railroad. The tracks and bridges were repeatedly damaged and repaired, and at different times carried supplies for both armies. In 1885, the railroad successfully defended itself before the Supreme Court in Nashville, C. & St. L. R. Co. v. United States from repaying postage payments for mail in 1861 that was not delivered due to the war.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Nashville-Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad Back Side: Nashville-Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad Nashville-Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad locomotive

Nashville-Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad

SOLD     Price: $100.00

Remarks: Operated from 1851-1957. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

After the war the company purchased the Nashville & Northwestern Railroad and the Hickman & Obion Railroad to Hickman, Kentucky to reach the Mississippi River. In 1873 it was reincorporated as the Nashville-Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway (NC&StL) (though the company's tracks never actually reached St. Louis, Missouri in the north). In early 1877 the NC&StL bought the bankrupt Tennessee & Pacific Railroad from the state government and operated it as a connection to Lebanon, Tennessee.

The Louisville & Nashville Railroad, an aggressive competitor of the NC&StL, gained a controlling interest in 1880 through a hostile stock takeover that caused much rancor between the cities of Nashville and Louisville. However, the railroads continued to operate separately before finally merging in 1957.

In 1902, the L&N was acquired by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in a takeover similar to that of the NC&StL, but continued to operate as a separate company. In 1982, the L&N's corporate existence ended when it was merged into ACL's successor, the Seaboard System Railroad. After several other mergers, in 1986 the Seaboard System was renamed as CSX Transportation, which continues to use the original NC&StL route between Nashville, Chattanooga and Atlanta.

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Nashville & Florence Railroad Back Side: Nashville & Florence Railroad L&N R.R. Flag

Nashville & Florence Railroad

Item: 7-N     Price: $95.00

Remarks: Operated from 1851-1957. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and rustic copper patina.

History

The Nashville & Florence Railroad was formed in 1879 to construct a 79 mile line from Columbia, Tennessee to Florence Alabama. The Louisville & Nashville Railroad, quietly watching the development and knowing the geography of the area could be rich in iron ore and timber, quickly purchased a majority of of stock. The L&N then advanced the project of moving the planned line forward which had laid dormant for three years. The Nashville & Florence Railroad was eventually absorbed into the rapidly growing Louisville & Nashville Railroad network.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Central & Hudson Railroad Back Side: New York Central & Hudson Railroad NYC R.R. Flag

New York Central & Hudson (River) Railroad

Item: 8-N     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History

The New York Central & Hudson River and the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern
were merged in 1914 to form the New York Central Railroad Company.

Vanderbilt's other lines were operated as part of the NYC; these included the
New York and Harlem Railroad, Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway, Canada Southern Railway and Michigan Central Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New Jersey Railroad Back Side: New Jersey Railroad Pennsy R.R. Flag

New Jersey Railroad

Item: 9-N     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and superb patina.

History

The first railroad charter in the United States was issued February 6, 1815 to the New Jersey Railroad Company on behalf of John Stevens and others. Based on turnpike charters, it allowed the company to build between New Brunswick and Trenton, and became a model for railroad charters in the future.

On March 7, 1832 the New Jersey Rail Road and Transportation Company (NJRR) was chartered as a parallel line to the Camden & Amboy Railroad, beginning at Jersey City, closer to New York City, but was limited to building south to New Brunswick due to the C&A's influence; the C&A would build the part from New Brunswick south to Spotswood (changed to Trenton in 1836 due to the alliance with the Philadelphia & Trenton Railroad).

Regular NJRR service began September 15, 1834 between Newark and Jersey City, using a temporary track over Bergen Hill. An extension to Elizabeth opened December 21, 1835, using the turnpike from the south end of Broad Street. Service to Rahway began January 1, 1836, again along the turnpike from a point south of Elizabeth. Locomotives were only used south of Newark until January 11, though some horse power operations continued east of Newark.

On February 1, 1867, the C&A and NJRR were informally joined as the United New Jersey Railroad & Canal Companies (UNJ). The Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) approved a lease of the UNJ on May 15, 1871, and the UNJ approved May 19. On May 18, 1872 the C&A, D&R Canal and NJRR were consolidated, forming the United New Jersey Railroad & Canal Company. The new company was split into two divisions: the New York Division consisted of the NJRR and the C&A Trenton Branch towards Philadelphia, while the Amboy Division was the original C&A main line.

In the years following the PRR lease the Penn Central emerged and then Conrail. In 1979, the commuter lines were acquired by New Jersey Transit.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York & Jamaica Railroad Back Side: New York & Jamaica Railroad LI RR Flag

New York & Jamaica Railroad

Item: 10-N     Price: $165.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb block lettering and great carmel patina.
Gobbled up by the Long Island R.R. in 1860.

History

New York & Jamaica Railroad Company was organized about 1857, and constructed a railroad from the terminus of the Long Island Railroad in Jamaica to the water's edge at Hunter's Point, and when ready for opening the trains of the Long Island Railroad, instead of running over the Brooklyn & Jamaica Railroad into the city of Brooklyn, turned off at Jamaica and were brought to Hunter's Point. This diverted the main line of travel on Long Island from the city of Brooklyn to the new terminus. This new line was opened in 1860. About the same time its property, corporate rights and franchises were acquired by the Long Island Railroad Company. From that time the Brooklyn & Jamaica Railroad was run as a branch road between Jamaica and East New York.

Jamaica is a major hub station of the Long Island Rail Road, and is located in Jamaica, Queens, New York City. It is the largest transit hub on Long Island and is one of the busiest railroad stations in the country with weekday ridership exceeding 200,000 passengers.

All LIRR services except the Port Washington Branch pass through Jamaica Station. The Main Line westwards leads to Long Island City, Queens and Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan, while the Atlantic Branch diverges along Atlantic Avenue to Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York & Greenwood Lake Railway Back Side: New York & Greenwood Lake Railway Erie R.R. Flag

New York & Greenwood Lake Railway

Item: 11-N     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-1900's. Forged by J.H. Climax Co.
Superb serif lettering and dark patina. Early unique style bit.
A very rare key. Operated 1878-1943.

History

The New York & Greenwood Lake Railway owned a line between Croxton, Jersey City, New Jersey and Greenwood Lake, New York. Service on the line was provided by the Erie Railroad.

The Montclair Railway was established in 1867. It was founded by Julius Pratt, who had renamed Montclair, New Jersey, for what was then West Bloomfield. By the mid-1870s it ran between Croxton and Sterling Forest at the New York state line, but financially unstable railroad went into receivership, and in 1875 became the Montclair & Greenwood Lake Railway. In 1878 the company was re-organized as the New York & Greenwood Lake Railway (NYGL), under control of the Erie Railroad

All LIRR services except the Port Washington Branch pass through Jamaica Station. The Main Line westwards leads to Long Island City, Queens and Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan, while the Atlantic Branch diverges along Atlantic Avenue to Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn.

The property was acquired directly in 1943 by the Erie Railroad, which merged with the Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad in 1960, to create the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad. Passenger service on the line north of Mountain View, to Greenwood Lake, was abandoned in stages.

The property was acquired directly in 1943 by the Erie Railroad, which merged with the Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad in 1960, to create the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad. Passenger service on the line north of Mountain View, to Greenwood Lake, was abandoned in stages. Conrail continued to operate freight service on the line until 1999, when the Norfolk Southern Railway took over.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York-Susquehanna & Western Railroad Back Side: New York-Susquehanna & Western Railroad NYS&W Map

New York-Susquehanna & Western Railroad

SOLD     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. A rarity.
Superb block lettering and carmel patina. Still operating today
under the control of the Delaware Otsego Corporation.
Given the moniker, "Susie Q."

History

The New York-Susquehanna & Western Railway is a Class II American freight railway operating over 500 miles of track in the northeastern states of New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

The NYS&W declared bankruptcy in 1976 after failing to pay New Jersey state taxes, though managed to stay out of Conrail, which had surrounded it. The bankruptcy court ordered that the railroad be abandoned and its assets sold. By then, the NYS&W was down to a 43-mile line from Croxton and Edgewater through Paterson to Butler. The State of New Jersey, aware of Delaware Otsego Corporation's reputation at rehabilitating short lines, asked them to take over the railroad.

The NYS&W operates over 500 miles of track in three states. The network consists of three main routes, one running from Northern New Jersey to Binghamton and the other two branching north from Binghamton to serve Utica and Syracuse.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York-Pennsylvania & Ohio Railroad Back Side: New York-Pennsylvania & Ohio Railroad Erie RR Flag

New York-Pennsylvania & Ohio Railroad

Item: 14-N     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Forged by the Bohannan Co.
Superb block lettering and carmel patina.
Different style cut than NYP&O key below.

History

The Nypano Railroad, earlier the New York-Pennsylvania & Ohio Railroad, was organized from the bankrupt Atlantic & Great Western Railroad in March 1880. The road was owned by five of the English investors in the A&GW and ran from Salamanca, New York to Dayton, Ohio. J. H. Devereaux, former president of the A&GW, was elected first president of the new company. Devereaux was succeeded by Jarvis M. Adams who, on March 6, 1883, leased the NYP&O to the New York-Lake Erie & Western Railroad. On February 27, 1896 the property was sold under foreclosure to representatives of the Erie, and subsequently reorganized as the Nypano. The company was merged into the Erie in 1941.The NYP&O was originally built on a 6 ft broad gauge between the rails. On June 22, 1880 the line was converted to 4 ft. 8 1/2 in standard gauge.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York-Pennsylvania & Ohio Railroad Back Side: New York-Pennsylvania & Ohio Railroad Erie RR Flag

New York-Pennsylvania & Ohio Railroad

Item: 15-N     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Fraim forged.
Superb serif lettering and two-tone patina.
Different style cut than NYP&O key above.

History - See 11-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York-Ontario & Western Railroad Back Side: New York-Ontario & Western Railroad General Electric 44-ton switcher, Duluth, GA

New York-Ontario & Western Railroad

Item: 16-N     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Block lettering and attractive gold patina.
Key ring groove on top of hilt. Given the moniker "Old and Weary."

History

The railroad began life as the New York & Oswego Midland Railroad, organized by Dewitt C. Littlejohn in 1868. Its mainline extended from Weehawken, New Jersey in the greater New York City area to Oswego, New York, a port city on Lake Ontario. It had branch lines to Scranton, Pennsylvania; Kingston, New York; Port Jervis, New York; Monticello, New York; Delhi, New York; Utica, New York and Rome, New York. The part south of Cornwall, New York was operated over the New York Central Railroad's West Shore Railroad via trackage rights.

The New York-Ontario & Western Railway, more commonly known as the O&W or NYO&W, was a regional railroad with origins in 1868, lasting until March 29, 1957 when it was ordered liquidated by a US bankruptcy judge. The O&W holds the distinction of being the first notable U.S. railroad to be abandoned in its entirety.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York & Ottawa Railroad Back Side: New York & Ottawa Railroad

New York & Ottawa Railroad

Item: 17-N     Price: $165.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and patina. Shows well!

History

The New York & Ottawa Railway was a railway connecting Tupper Lake in northeastern New York to Ottawa, Ontario, via Ramsayville Russell, Embrun, Finch and Cornwall. It became part of theNew York Central Railroad system in 1913 although it was under the larger company's possession since the end of 1904. It had started out as the Northern Adirondack Railroad and evolved into the Northern New York Railroad, the New York & Ottawa Railroad and was last known as the New York & Ottawa Railway before being merged into the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Central Railroad Back Side: New York Central Railroad NYC R.R. Flag

New York Central Railroad

Item: 18-N     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Moon key. Most likely Corbin forged.
Different style cut than Moon key below.

History

The New York Central Railroad (NYC), also known as New York Central or New York Central System or The Central, was a railroad operating in the northeastern and midwestern United States. Headquartered in New York City, the New York Central was a large railroad, and it had several subsidiaries whose identity remained strong in local loyalties.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Central Railroad Back Side: New York Central Railroad Strangers on a Train    Strangers on a Train poster    Strangers on a Train

New York Central Railroad

Item: 19-N     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Moon key. Most likely Corbin forged.
Different style cut than Moon key above.

History - continued from above

In broad geographic terms, the New York Central proper was everything east of Buffalo plus a line from Buffalo through Cleveland and Toledo to Chicago (the former Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway). NYC included the Ohio Central Lines (Toledo through Columbus to and beyond Charleston, West Virginia) and the Boston & Albany Railroad (neatly defined by its name). The Michigan Central Railroad was a Buffalo-Detroit-Chicago line and everything in Michigan north of that. NYC's Grand Central Terminal in New York City is one of its best known extant landmarks. In 1968 the NYC merged with former rival Pennsylvania Railroad to form the Penn Central which, later became absorbed in the government formed "Conrail."

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Central Railroad Back Side: New York Central Railroad NYC R.R. Flag

New York Central Railroad

Item: 20-N     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Attractive yellow-gold patina. Block lettering and fine pocket wear.
Key used on NYC lines east of Buffalo.

History - continued from above

Planning and justifying the merger took nearly a decade, during which time the eastern railroad scene had changed radically, in large measure because of the impending merger of NYC and PRR. The Erie merged with the DL&W to create the Erie Lackawanna Railway (EL) in 1960, C&O acquired control of B&O, and N&W took in the Virginian Railway, Wabash, Nickel Plate, Pittsburgh & West Virginia and Akron, Canton & Youngstown. Stockholders of the PRR and NYC approved the merger of the two railroads on May 8, 1962. ICC approved the merger four years later, and on February 1, 1968, the Penn Central (PC) came into existence and fell apart faster than it went together.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Central Railroad Back Side: New York Central Railroad New York Citys' Grand Central Station

New York Central Railroad

Item: 21-N     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Fine pocket wear and superb patina.

History - continued from above

The PC bankruptcy was a cataclysmic event, both to the railroad industry and to the nation's business community. The nation's sixth largest corporation
had become the nation's largest bankruptcy in history (the Enron Corporation's 2001 bankruptcy eclipsed this in large measure).

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Central Railroad Back Side: New York Central Railroad Strangers on a Train

New York Central Railroad

Item: 22-N     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Fine pocket wear and superb two-tone patina.

History - See 18-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Central System Back Side: New York Central System NYC R.R. Flag

New York Central System Railroad

Item: 23-N     Price: $35.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's.Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering. Eye-catching two-tone patina.

History - See 18-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Central System Back Side: New York Central west side cowboy     NYC switch engine and train aproaching Swift & Companys' main office at 11th Avenue New York. Circa; 1911

New York Central System Railroad

Item: 24-N     Price: $35.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Great carmel patina.
Nice serif lettering and patina.

History - See 18-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Central System Back Side: New York Central System Strangers on a Train.    Strangers on a Train    Robert Walker

New York Central System Railroad

Item: 25-N     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Steel shorty.

History - See 18-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Central Railroad Tool House Back Side: New York Central Railroad Tool House NS paying tribute to NYC

New York Central Railroad

Item: 26-N     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged?
Attractive block lettering and gold patina.
Early TH key, no "S" for system.

History - See 18-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Central Tool House Back Side: New York Central Tool House NYC passenger train car

New York Central Railroad

SOLD     Price: $20.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged.
Pocket worn lettering and superb patina.
Early TH key, no "S" for system.

History - See 18-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York Metro Back Side: New York Metro NYC passenger train car

New York Metro

Item: 28-N     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Passenger rail line.
Attractive block lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York State Railways Back Side: New York State Railways NYS-RY Flag

New York State Railways

Item: 30-N     New Listing     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Attractive serif lettering and patina. Great looking trolley key!

History

New York State Railways was a subsidiary of the New York Central Railroad that controlled several large city streetcar and electric interurban systems in upstate New York. It included the city transit lines in Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Oneida and Rome, plus various interurban lines connecting those cities. New York State Railways also held a 50% interest in the Schenectady Railway Company, but it remained a separate independent operation.

The New York Central took control of the Rochester Railway Company, the Rochester and Eastern Rapid Railway and the Rochester & Sodus Bay Railway in 1905, and the Mohawk Valley Company was formed by the railroad to manage these new acquisitions. New York State Railways was formed in 1909 when the properties controlled by the Mohawk Valley Company were merged. In 1912 it added the Rochester & Suburban Railway, the Syracuse Rapid Transit Railway, the Oneida Railway, and the Utica and Mohawk Valley Railway. The New York Central Railroad was interested in acquiring these lines in an effort to control the competition and to gain control of the lucrative electric utility companies that were behind many of these streetcar and interurban railways.

Ridership across the system dropped through the 1920s as operating costs continued to rise, coupled with competition from better highways and private automobile use. New York Central sold New York State Railways in 1928 to a consortium led by investor E. L. Phillips, who was looking to gain control of the upstate utilities. Phillips sold his stake to Associated Gas & Electric in 1929, and the new owners allowed the railway bonds to default. New York State Railways entered receivership on December 30, 1929. The company emerged from receivership in 1934, and local operations were sold off to new private operators between 1938 and 1948.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New Hope & Ivyland Railroad Back Side: New Hope & Ivyland Railroad Pennsy R.R. Flag

New Hope & Ivyland Railroad

Item: 31-N     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Attractive block lettering and superb gold patina.

History

The NH&I got its start as the Northeast Pennsylvania Railroad. Its trains began running between New Hope and Philadelphia in 1891. Later incorpated into the Reading System, the HN&I became a classic milk route, providing freight and passenger servive to residents of a rural area.

NHRR is involved in the import and export of raw materials and manufactured products. Freight customers range from national chemical companies to consumer product manufacturers. NHRR interchanges with Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad in Warminster, which in turn interchanges with CSX Transportation in Lansdale. NHRR's primary customers are based in Warminster; CRC Industries, Castrol and Double H Plastics are served on a weekly basis.

In addition to New Hope-Lahaska service, NHRR also operates Easter, fall foliage, Halloween and Santa trains. NHRR occasionally operates as far as Warminster - a distance of 17 miles (27 km) - to connect with SEPTA's Warminster Line. Yearly trains to Lansdale have started as a special on the NHRR. They occur every August.

The NHRR was originally known as the New Hope Branch of the Reading Company (RDG), which leased the North Pennsylvania Railroad, of which it was a part. The railroad ran as far as Hartsville Station (near Bristol Road) until March 29, 1891, when the line was extended to the long-desired terminal of New Hope, Pennsylvania.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Niagara Junction Railway Back Side: Niagara Junction Railway Niagara Junction Railway

Niagara Junction Railway

Item: 32-N     Price: $165.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Electrified Railway line.
Superb block lettering and dark patina.

History

The Niagara Junction Railway was an electrified freight only railroad owned by the Erie Lackawanna and Lehigh Valley Railroads, servicing the industries in Niagara Falls.

The Junction Railroad opened in 1871, finally connecting the Buffalo & Niagara Falls at Black Rock to the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad main line via a bypass of downtown Buffalo. In 1873 a connection was built downtown (partly using a short piece of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway), forming a complete loop, known as the Buffalo Belt Line. The old Erie Street station was sold to the Grand Trunk Railway, and NYC trains now used the Exchange Street station, which had been used since 1842 by the NYC's main line.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Newburyport Railroad Back Side: Newburyport Railroad B&M R.R. Flag

Newburyport Railroad

Item: 34-N     New Listing     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb serif lettering and patina.
Key bit style is very similar to a B&M key

History

After World War I, the Newburyport Branch experienced a decline in ridership, and in 1924, the B&M tried to end service, but passenger and industry protest kept it open. In 1940, the B&M successfully applied to close the line between Newburyport and Topsfield, and service ended there in December 1941. The following year it abandoned the line between Georgetown and the paper mill in Bradford, servicing the paper mill from the B&M main line instead. In 1950, passenger travel ceased between Topsfield and Danvers, and in 1959, all passenger travel on the line came to an end.

The Newburyport Railroad (later known as the Newburyport Branch of the Boston and Maine Railroad) was a railroad that came about from the merger of three small rail companies into one rail line to compete with the Eastern Railroad for service between Newburyport and Boston, Massachusetts. The Newburyport Railroad ran from Newburyport to Wakefield, Massachusetts, where it connected with the Boston and Maine (B&M) for service into Boston.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Norfolk & Portsmouth Belt Line Railroad Back Side: Norfolk & Portsmouth Belt Line Railroad N&PB R.R. Flag

Norfolk & Portsmouth Belt Line Railroad

Item: 35-N     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb box lettering and patina. A beauty!

History

The Norfolk & Portsmouth Belt Line Railroad (NPBL) is a class III railroad operating in southern Virginia. The NPBL serves Norfolk, Portsmouth and Chesapeake and has been operating since 1898. The NPBL is owned fifty-seven percent by Norfolk Southern Railway and forty-three percent by CSX Transportation. The NPBL interchanges with; Chesapeake and Albemarle Railroad, CSX Transportation, Bay Coast Railroad (formerly the Eastern Shore Railroad), and Norfolk Southern. The NPBL is a terminal switching company that owns 36 miles of track, (plus 27 miles of trackage rights) and links commerce around the deepwater port from Sewells Point to Portsmouth Marine Terminal, including the Southern Branch Elizabeth River.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Northwestern Pennsylvania Railway Back Side: Northwestern Pennsylvania Railway NW

Northwestern Pennsylvania Railway

Item: 36-N     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Key has the distinct Pennsy style bit.
Nice block lettering and superb patina. A very rare key.
Unique style Pennsy key-NW is stamped on both sides.
Great looking Pennsy oldie!

History

The Pennsylvania Trolley Lines received a face lift and by May 2, 1909, the new electrified railway had twenty-seven trains going through Cambridge Springs, serving as the connection to Meadville. A traveler who used the line from Cambridge Springs to Erie would expect a commute of about 85 minutes. However, On November 6, 1912, it was agreed that the two services would merge and become one operation, the Northwestern Pennsylvania Railway, providing direct service between Erie and Meadville.

In 1925, with the introduction of bus service to Erie and Meadville, the decline of the trolleys expanded even further. Service was cut from downtown Meadville in September 1927, service was ended to Linesville the same year. The Meadville and Conneaut Park line was canceled in August 1928. Finally, the last service of trolley lines through Cambridge Springs, which went from Meadville to Erie, was ended on September 28, 1928.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Northern Alberta Railways Back Side: Northern Alberta Railways NAR R.R. Flag

Northern Alberta Railways

Item: 37-N     Price: $100.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Mitchell Co. of Canada.
Nice block lettering and superb patina.

History

Northern Alberta Railways (reporting mark NAR) was a Canadian railway which served northern Alberta and northeastern British Columbia. Jointly owned by both Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Railway, NAR existed as a separate company from 1929 until 1981.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Northern Pacific Railroad Back Side: Northern Pacific Railroad NP R.R. Flag

Northern Pacific Railroad

Item: 38-N     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Fraim/Slaymaker Co.
Nice serif lettering and superb patina.

History

The Northern Pacific Railway (NP) was a transcontinental railroad that operated across the northern tier of the western United States from Minnesota to the Pacific Coast. It was approved by Congress in 1864 and given nearly 40 million acres of land grants, which it used to raise money in Europe for construction. Construction began in 1870 and the main line opened all the way from the Great Lakes to the Pacific when former president Ulysses S. Grant drove in the final "golden spike" in western Montana on Sept. 8, 1883.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Northern Pacific Railway Back Side: Northern Pacific Railway NP engine No.2223 and coaches

Northern Pacific Railway

Item: 39-N     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

In 1886 the Northern Pacific also opened colonization offices in Germany and Scandinavia, attracting farmers with cheap package transportation and purchase deals. The success of the NP was based on the abundant crops of wheat and other grains and the attraction to settlers of the Red River Valley along the Minnesota-North Dakota border between 1881 and 1890. The Northern Pacific reached Dakota Territory at Fargo in 1886, and began its career as one of the central factors in the economic growth of North Dakota. The climate, although very cold, was suitable for wheat, which was in high demand in the cities of the United States and Europe. Most of the settlers were German and Scandinavian immigrants who bought the land cheaply, and raised large families. They shipped huge quantities of wheat to Minneapolis, while buying all sorts of equipment and home supplies to be shipped in by rail.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Northern Pacific Railway Back Side: Northern Pacific Railway Tracks laid on a frozen Missouri River

Northern Pacific Railway

SOLD     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

After the turn of the century the Northern Pacific had a record of steady improvement. Together with the Great Northern, the Northern Pacific also gained control of the Chicago-Burlington & Quincy Railroad, gaining important access to Chicago, the central Middle West and Texas, as well as the Spokane-Portland & Seattle Railway, an important route through eastern and southern Washington. Its physical plant was upgraded continuously, with double-tracking in key areas, and automatic block signaling along its entire main line. This in turn gave way to centralized traffic control, microwave and radio communications as time progressed.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Northern Pacific Railway Back Side: Northern Pacific Railway NP R.R. Flag

Northern Pacific Railway

Item: 41-N     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Handsome block lettering and carmel patina.

History - continued from above

In later years, consolidation in American railroading brought the Northern Pacific together with the Chicago-Burlington & Quincy Railroad, the Great Northern Railway and the Spokane-Portland & Seattle Railway on March 2, 1970, to form the Burlington Northern Railroad. Ironically, the merger was allowed despite a challenge in the Supreme Court, essentially reversing the outcome of the 1904 Northern Securities ruling.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Northern Pacific Railway Back Side: Northern Pacific Railway NP Railroad

Northern Pacific Railway

Item: 42-N     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Handsome block lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

The NP's premier passenger train, the "North Coast Limited" was among the safest and finest in the nation,
suffering only one passenger fatality in nearly 70 years of operation.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Norfolk Southern Railroad Back Side: Norfolk Southern Railroad NS R.R. Flag

Norfolk Southern Railroad

Item: 44-N     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and patina.
Not to be confused with today's Class-1 Norfolk Southern.

History

The Norfolk Southern Railway (NS) was the final name of a railroad that ran from Norfolk, Virginia, southwest and west to Charlotte, North Carolina. It was acquired by the Southern Railway in 1974, which merged with the Norfolk & Western Railway in 1982 to form the current Norfolk Southern Railway.

On January 1, 1974, the Southern Railway bought the Norfolk Southern Railway and merged it into the Carolina & Northwestern Railway, but kept the Norfolk Southern Railway name. In 1982 the Carolina & Northwestern name was brought back to free up the Norfolk Southern name for the planned merger of the Southern Railway with the Norfolk & Western Railway. The new Norfolk Southern Railway was formed in 1982; (Or, as some say tongue in cheek, the Southern tucked the Norfolk Southern name in its briefcase, stopped in Roanoke to pick up a friend, and then went on to Washington, D.C.). While the name had once represented simply the Virginia & North Carolina based railroad which ran south from Norfolk to Charlotte, it was now a combination of the names of the two merged Class I railroads.

Click on image to view larger picture




Front Side: Northwestern Elevated Railroad Back Side: Northwestern Elevated Railroad Car No.1029 has been on the former Northwestern Elevated lines

Northwestern Elevated Railroad

SOLD     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by A&W Co.
Attractive block lettering and superb patina.
In 1924 merged into Chicago Rapid Transit Company.
Same railroad and style key as NWL key below.
This key stamped NW "E" and key below stamped NW " L" = nice set.

History

The Northwestern Elevated Railroad was the last of the privately constructed rapid transit lines to be built in Chicago. The line ran from the Loop in downtown Chicago north to Wilson Avenue in Chicago's Uptown neighborhood with a branch to Ravenswood and Albany Park that left the main line at Clark Street. The line survives as the Brown and Purple lines and as the northern portions of the Red Line of the Chicago 'L' system.

The Northwestern Elevated Railroad Company was incorporated on October 30, 1893, and on January 8, 1894 was granted a 50-year franchise by the City of Chicago. The original franchise stipulated that service between a downtown location to the south of the Chicago River and Wilson Avenue was to begin by December 31, 1897. This franchise was altered in 1895 to allow the line to connect to the new Union Loop and the deadline for completion was later extended to May 31, 1899.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Northwestern L Back Side: Northwestern L A local NW L train has just cleared the interlocking en route to Wilson, looking north on June 8, 1900      The Metropolitan West Side & the Northwestern Elevated operated until 1924

Northwestern L

SOLD     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.
Same railroad and style key as NWL key above.
This key stamped NW "L" and key above stamped NW "E" = nice set.

History - continued from above

Construction of the line started in February 1896 but the project experienced financial difficulties and work was paused later in the year and stopped completely in 1897. New financing was found, and construction began again in July 1899. In order to meet the franchise requirements an inaugural train ran north from the Loop on December 31, 1899, however, on January 1, 1900 City officials declared that the railroad was unsafe and that the franchise had expired. Defiantly, the company ran another train the next day, police stopped the train and arrested the crew, but company officials took the controls and managed to run the train in to the Loop. In order to stop its return, police opened the Wells Street bridge and blocked the track with railroad ties, but the officials managed to evade the police by having the train switched on to the Lake Street Elevated Railroad. Eventually the company reached a new agreement with the city, and the first 6.41-mile section of the railroad was officially opened on May 31, 1900.

In 1913 Chicago's four elevated railroad companies came together to form the Chicago Elevated Railways Collateral Trust establishing crosstown services for the first time, and in 1924 all four companies were formally united to form the Chicago Rapid Transit Company. The Chicago Transit Authority took over the assets of the CRT in 1947

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Newburgh & South Shore Railroad Back Side: Newburgh & South Shore Railroad NS R.R. Flag

Newburgh & South Shore Railroad

Item: 47-N     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by Adlake Co.

History

The Newburg & South Shore Railroad (reporting mark NSR) is a railroad that operates in Cleveland, Ohio. The line operates on 13 miles of railroad track. It was originally built to service U.S. Steel mills in Cleveland. The line is owned by Omnitrax

Also known as the South Shore Belt Line, the N&SS served industrial sites in the Cleveland area. Only seven main-line miles long, it was completed in 1904 as a wholly owned railroad of the US Steel Corporation. Its railbed bore heavy 90 lb/yard (45 kg/metre) rail and presented N&SS trains with 2 miles of 1% grades and 2 miles of 1.15% grade.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Norfolk & Western Railroad Back Side: Norfolk & Western Railroad N&W R.R. Flag

Norfolk & Western Railroad

Item: 48-N     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Original N&W key.
Attractive block lettering and patina.

History

The Norfolk & Western Railway (NW), was a US class I railroad, formed by more than 200 railroad mergers between 1838 and 1982. It was headquartered in Roanoke, Virginia, for most of its 150-year existence. Its motto was "Precision Transportation". It had a variety of nicknames, including "King Coal" and "British Railway of America" even though the N&W had mostly articulated steam on its roster. During the Civil War, the N&W was the biggest railroad in the south and moved most of the products with their steam locomotives to help the South the best way they could.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Norfolk & Western Railroad Back Side: Norfolk & Western Railroad N&W R.R. Flag

Norfolk & Western Railroad

Item: 50-N     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca.1970's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

NW was famous for manufacturing its own steam locomotives, which were produced at the Roanoke Shops, as well
as its own hopper cars. Around 1960, NW became the last major American railroad to convert from steam locomotives to diesel motive power.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Norfolk & Western Railroad Back Side: Norfolk & Western Railroad Norfolk & Western's experimental steam turbine locomotive, Jawn Henry

Norfolk & Western Railroad

Item: 51-N     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1970. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Post N&W (NKP-Wabash) merger key. Wabash style cut.

History - continued from above

In December 1959, NW merged with the Virginian Railway (VGN), a longtime rival in the Pocahontas coal region. By 1970, other mergers with the
Nickel Plate Road and Wabash formed a system that operated 7,595 miles of road on 14,881 miles of track from North Carolina to New York and from Virginia to Illinois.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Norfolk & Western Railroad Signal Dept. Key Back Side: Norfolk & Western Railroad Signal Dept. Key Norfolk & Westerns'pride and joy, streamliner engine #611

Norfolk & Western Railroad

Item: 52-N     signal lock key     Price: $18.00

Remarks: Key will work with this style N&W signal lock

History - continued from above

In 1982, NW merged with the Southern Railway, another profitable carrier, to form the
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NS), but it continued paper operations until it was merged into the Norfolk Southern Railway in 1997.

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Norfolk & Western Railroad Utility Key Back Side: Norfolk & Western Railroad Utility Key N&W bridge crew pose on Kenova Bridge    N&W bridge crew pose on Kenova Bridge    N&W bridge crew pose on Kenova Bridge

Norfolk & Western Railroad

Item: 53-N     utility key     Price: $15.00

Remarks: Although not stamped N&W, this American key
will work with this style ™American brand tall shank steel lock.
This type of N&W lock was utilized on industry gates and doors.

History - See 43-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Nickel Plate Road Back Side: Nickel Plate Road NKP R.R. Flag

Nickel Plate Road

Item: 54-N     New Listing     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and carmel patina.

History

The New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railroad (NKP), abbreviated NYC&St.L, was a railroad that operated in the mid-central United States. Commonly referred to as the Nickel Plate Road, the railroad served a large area, including trackage in the states of New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri. Its primary connections included Buffalo, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Toledo.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Nickel Plate Road Back Side: Nickel Plate Road Norfolk Southern paying tribute to NKP

Nickel Plate Road

Item: 55-N     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Great block lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

The Nickel Plate Railroad was constructed in 1881 along the South Shore of the Great Lakes connecting Buffalo and Chicago to compete with the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway. In 1964 the Nickel Plate Road and several other mid-western carriers were merged into the larger Norfolk & Western Railway (N&W). The goal of the N&W expansion was to form a more competitive and successful system serving 14 states and the Canadian province of Ontario on more than 7,000 miles of railroad. The profitable N&W was itself combined with the Southern Railway, another profitable carrier, to form Norfolk Southern Corporation (NS) in 1982.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railroad Back Side: New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railroad NKP R.R. Flag     Origin of the NKP moniker

New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railroad

Item: 56-N     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Block lettering and ex-fine pocket wear. Great gold patina.

History - See 49-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railway Back Side: New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railway NKP engine 743 (2-8-4) pulls westbound train at Athol Springs, NY. Circa; 1951

New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railway

Item: 57-N     Price: $135.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Attractive tapered barrel
and fine pocket wear. Superb serif lettering and carmel patina.
Hilt has a pocket ring clip indentation.

History - See 49-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railroad Back Side: New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railroad NKP R.R. Flag

New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railroad

Item: 58-N     New     repair track key     Listing     Price: $165.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.
Seller drove a hard bargain on this key. Price is firm.

History - See 49-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Nickel Plate Road Railroad Back Side: Nickel Plate Road Railroad NKP No.765 (2-8-4)

Nickel Plate Road Railroad

Item: 59-N     signal lock key     Price: $17.00

Remarks: Key will work this type of NKP Yale signal lock
If the key does not work your lock, you can return it.

History - See 49-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York & Long Branch Railroad Back Side: New York & Long Branch Railroad JCL R.R. Flag     Pennsy RR Flag

New York & Long Branch Railroad

Item: 60-N     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Fraim/Slaymaker Co.
Dark serif lettering. Superb natural patina.

History

The New York & Long Branch Railroad (NYLB) was a railroad in central New Jersey, running from Bay Head Junction in Bay Head to Perth Amboy, where it connected to the Central Railroad of New Jersey's Perth Amboy & Elizabethport Railroad. The railroad was jointly owned and operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Central Railroad of New Jersey and became property of Conrail in 1976. It is now part of New Jersey Transit's North Jersey Coast Line.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York & Long Branch Railroad Back Side: New York & Long Branch Railroad Asbury Park was a station stop on the NY&LB Railroad

New York & Long Branch Railroad

Item: 61-N     Price: $150.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Fine pocket wear.
Stylish ring barrel and superb copper-carmel patina.
Deeply stamped elegant dark serif lettering. A beauty of a relic!

History - See 60-N

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York-Lake Erie & Western Railroad Back Side: New York-Lake Erie & Western Railroad NY&LE excursion

New York-Lake Erie & Western Railroad

Item: 62-N     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-very early 1900's. Forged by the T. Slaight Co.
Ex-Fine pocket wear and superb gold patina.
Tapered barrel and nice serif lettering. Very early Erie key!

History

The New York & Erie Railroad Company was enfranchised and incorporated in 1832, and construction was begun in 1835 near Deposit, N.Y. The year 1851 saw 446 miles of trunk line across New York state completed to Dunkirk, N.Y., on Lake Erie at a huge cost. The railroad was extended to Jersey City, N.J., and to Buffalo, N.Y., but in 1861 the company failed and was reorganized as the Erie Railway Company. The company gained sound financial footing during the Civil War before it became the subject of a tremendous financial battle. Daniel Drew, Jay Gould and James Fisk allied themselves and from 1866 to 1868, outmaneuvered with the aid of unauthorized stock issues, political chicanery and incessant litigation - Cornelius Vanderbilt, to keep control of the Erie Railway Company.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York-Lake Erie & Western Railroad Back Side: New York-Lake Erie & Western Railroad Erie R.R. Flag

New York-Lake Erie & Western Railroad

Item: 63-N     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Bohannan Co.
Attractive dark ring barrel and fine pocket wear.
Superb dark serif lettering. Excellent natural patina.

History - continued from above

After further financial trickery, the Erie Railway Company went bankrupt and was reorganized (1878) as the New York-Lake Erie & Western Railway Company. By 1880 branch lines were built to Chicago. The railroad went into receivership after the Panic of 1893 and was reorganized (1895) as the Erie Railroad Company. Under the presidency (1901-27) of Frederick D. Underwood, the Erie continued to suffer losses, and after a major reorganization (1941) it yielded (1942) a dividend for the first time in 69 years. In 1960 the Erie merged with the Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad to form the Erie-Lackawanna. In 1976 this organization and five other lines that had gone bankrupt were merged to form the Conrail system, which in 1999 became part of theCSX and Norfolk Southern railroads.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New Orleans-Texas & Mexico Railroad Back Side: New Orleans-Texas & Mexico Railroad MoPac R.R. Flag       GCL RR Flag

New Orleans-Texas & Mexico Railroad

Item: 64-N     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.
Owned by the state of Louisiana.

History

The New Orleans Texas & Mexico Railway was the overiding corporate entity of the Gulf Coast Lines. These lines were owned by the St. Louis-San Francisco Railroad (Frisco) up until the mid-1920s when the Missouri Pacific Railroad (MoPac) took them over. As the "corporate workhorse" of the Gulf Coast Lines, the NOT&M was used to purchase many smaller Texas lines, including the New Ibernia & Northern (1916), Houston & Brazos Valley (1924), and International-Great Northern (1924). When the MoPac gained control of the NOT&M, it still operated as a buying machine, and later gained control of the San Antonio-Uvalde & Gulf (1925) and the Asphalt Belt (1925), the Sugarland (1926), the Asherton & Gulf (1926), the Rio Grande City (1926), the New Orleans & Lower Coast (1926), the San Antonio Southern (1926), affectionately known as the "Sausage." All of the flags of the Gulf Coast Lines and its acquired roads were absorbed into the MoPac in 1956.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad Back Side: New York-New Haven & Hartford NYNH&H R.R. Flag

New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad

Item: 65-N     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Switch key.
Attractive block lettering and nice silver patina.

History

The New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad (NH), commonly known as the New Haven, was a railroad that operated in New England from 1872 to 1968, dominating the region's rail traffic for the first half of the 20th century.

Beginning in the 1890s and accelerating in 1903, New York banker J. P. Morgan sought to monopolize New England transportation by arranging the NH's acquisition of 50 companies, including other railroads and steamship lines, and building a network of electrified trolley lines that provided interurban transportation for all of southern New England. By 1912, the New Haven operated over 2,000 miles (3,200 km) of track, with 120,000 employees, and practically monopolized traffic in a wide swath from Boston to New York City.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad Back Side: New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad NYNH&H R.R. Flag

New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad

Item: 66-N     signal dept. key     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Rustic style key with superb block lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

This quest for monopoly angered Progressive Era reformers, alienated public opinion, led to high prices for acquisitions, and raised construction costs. Debt soared from $14 million in 1903 to $242 million in 1913, even as the advent of automobiles, trucks and buses reduced railroad profits. Also in 1913, the federal government filed an anti-trust lawsuit that forced the NH to give up its trolley systems.

The line went bankrupt in 1935, was reorganized and reduced in scope, went bankrupt again in 1961, and in 1969 was merged with the Penn Central system, formed a year earlier by the merger of the also bankrupt New York Central Railroad and Pennsylvania Railroad; Already a poorly thought out merger, Penn Central proceeded to go bankrupt in 1970, becoming the largest bankruptcy in the U.S. until the Enron Corporation superseded it in 2001. The remnants of the system now make up Metro-North Railroad's New Haven Line, (parts of) Amtrak's Northeast Corridor, Shore Line East parts of the MBTA, and numerous freight operators such as CSX Transportation and the Providence & Worcester Railroad. The majority of the system is now owned publicly by the states of Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

Click on image to view larger picture



Dates quoted for keys are approximate dates. Railroad switch keys initials (reporting mark) are assumed to be correct and accurate.
Comments on any railroad initials origin, including (typos), are welcome. Last update 01/14/2018

Top

contact webmaster