Canadian National Railroad, Chicago, IL

  Contact RRT | Misc. | Locks | Keys | Home | Lanterns | Picture Gallery | Payment  

"A Website for the Railroad Enthusiast"

All Key Sales are Final
Frontside: Olympia & Chehalis Valley Co. Backside: Olympia & Chehalis Valley Co. NP depot

Olympia & Chehalis Valley Co.

Item: 3-O     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb pocket worn block lettering and gold patina.
Short lived Washington State coal line. Key listed in the
"American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History

The Olympia and Chehalis Valley Railroad connected Olympia with Tenino and another railroad connected the Northern Pacific at Stuck directly with Seattle. Eventually, in 1914, this 15 mile line was acquired by the Northern Pacific.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Old Colony Railroad Backside: Old Colony Railroad OC R.R. Gov. Bradford    OC R.R. engine Chas. Richmond.

Old Colony Railroad

Item: 5-O     Price: $115.00

Remarks: Operated 1845-1893. Bohannan forged.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.
Handsome accent ring barrel.

History

The Old Colony Railroad (OC) was a major railroad system, mainly covering southeastern Massachusetts and parts of Rhode Island. It operated from 1845 to 1893. From 1845 to 1893, the OC network grew extensively largely through a series of mergers and acquisitions with other established railroads, until it was itself acquired by the New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad under lease agreement on March 1, 1893 for its entire 617-mile network. After this date, all trains, lines, and stations became known as the "Old Colony Division" of the huge "New Haven" system. During this period, the New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad enjoyed a virtual monopoly on all passenger and freight rail service in southern New England.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Old Colony Railroad Backside: Old Colony Railroad OC R.R. engine No.20

Old Colony Railroad

Item: 6-O     New Listing     Price: $125.00

Remarks: Operated 1845-1893. Bohannan forged.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.
Handsome accent ring barrel.

History - continued from above

Other parts of the former OC system continue to be used for freight service by CSX Transportation and other short line railroads, including the Massachusetts Coastal Railroad which operates on Cape Cod and in southeastern Massachusetts.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Ohio Connecting Railroad Backside: Ohio Connecting Railroad Ohio Connecting Bridge.

Ohio Connecting Railroad

Item: 8-O     New Listing     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Bohannan forged?
Nice block lettering and gold patina.
A subsidiary of the Pennsylvania R.R.
A rare 1!

History

The Connecting Railway was a subsidiary of the Pennsylvania Railroad, incorporated to build a connection between the Philadelphia and Trenton Railroad and the PRR in the city of Philadelphia.

The PRR controlled the Philadelphia & Trenton, and had originally intended to directly connect the two lines through the heart of Philadelphia. However, attempts to buy out and demolish buildings in the right-of-way led to riots, and the Philadelphia & Trenton was forced to end at Kensington. To resolve the problem, Connecting Railway Company was incorporated May 15, 1863, and between 1864 and June 1867, constructed a 6.75-mile (10.86 km) connecting line between Frankford Junction on the Philadelphia & Trenton and Mantua Junction (now Zoo interlocking) on the PRR main line, passing through what is now North Philadelphia.

On January 1, 1902, these seven corporations were consolidated into The Connecting Railway Company. This company and all its predecessors were directly or indirectly controlled by the PRR throughout their history. On December 9, 1956, the Pennsylvania, Ohio and Detroit Railroad, an agglomeration of certain PRR Lines West, was merged into the corporation. This was solely for the sake of corporate bookkeeping and had no effect on operations.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Omaha Railway Backside: Omaha Railway CStPM&O R.R. Flag

Omaha Railway

aka "the Chicago-St. Paul-Minneapolis & Omaha Railway"

Item: 10-O     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice pocket worn block lettering and gold patina.
Given the moniker, "the Granger Line."

History

The Chicago-St. Paul-Minneapolis & Omaha Railway or Omaha Road (reporting mark CMO) was a railroad in the U.S. states of Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and South Dakota. It was incorporated in 1880 as a consolidation of the Chicago-St. Paul & Minneapolis Railway and the North Wisconsin Railway. The Chicago & North Western Railway (C&NW) gained control in 1882. The C&NW leased the Omaha Road in 1957 and merged the company into itself in 1972.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Omaha Railway Backside: Omaha Railway Mechanical employees  CMSt.PM&O RR

Omaha Railway

aka "the Chicago-St. Paul-Minneapolis & Omaha Railway"

Item: 11-O     New Listing     Price: 85.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Oneida Railway Backside: Oneida Railway NYC R.R. Flag

Oneida Railway

Item: 12-O     Price: $100.00

Remarks: NY trolley line, operated 1907-1930.
Owned by the - NYCS, key also has a
Toledo & Ohio Central style bit.

History

The Oneida Railway, which was an interurban rail, was established in 1907 when the New York Central Railroad electrified 49 miles of the West Shore Railroad between Syracuse, New York and Utica, New York. The interurban railroad used nontraditional third-rail pickup for power instead of the typical overhead catenary. In 1909 the system merged with the New York State Railways system which remained in business until 1930.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Oregon & Eureka Railroad Backside: Oregon & Eureka Railroad No.17

Oregon & Eureka Railroad

Item: 14-O     Price: $175.00

Remarks: Operated 1903-07. Forged by the JHW Climax Co.
Handsome double ring barrel and superb gold patina.
Oregon logging line. A rarity!

History

Southern Pacific Transportation Company formed the Oregon and Eureka Railroad in 1903 in an agreement to use logging railroads as part of a line connecting Humboldt County (California) sawmills with the national rail network. Northwestern Pacific Railroad offered service over the route from 1911 through 1933. The northern 6-mile (9.7 km) of the line remained in use as a Hammond Lumber Company logging branch until 1948.

The 36-mile (58 km) Oregon and Eureka Railroad formed through Hammond's 1903 agreement with Southern Pacific was equipped with seven locomotives, two 48-foot (15 m) passenger coaches, and 166 freight cars. The railroad had 212 freight cars by 1905, and was extended in 1906 to carry lumber from the Little River Redwood Company sawmill at Crannell, California. The Oregon and Eureka was included in the Northwestern Pacific Railroad (NWP) merger on 8 January 1907, and extended to Trinidad, California on 22 June.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Owensboro & Nashville Railroad Backside: Owensboro & Nashville Railroad L&N R.R. Flag

Owensboro & Nashville Railroad

Item: 16-O     post 1921 L&N & O&N merger key     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Adlake forged?
Same style bit as a Louisville & Nashville key.
Original O&N style key listed below.

History

The Owensboro and Nashville Railway was a 19th and early-20th-century railway company in western Kentucky in the United States. It operated from 1881, when it purchased the defunct Owensboro & Nashville and Tennessee & Kentucky railroads, until 1921, when it was purchased by the L&N. Its former rights-of-way currently form parts of the class-I CSX Transportation Railway.

It connected with the Paducah and Elizabethtown and its successors (all subsequently part of the Illinois Central) at Central City in Muhlenberg County.

Click on image to view larger picture


Frontside: Owensboro & Nashville Railroad Backside: Owensboro & Nashville Railroad L&N R.R. Flag

Owensboro & Nashville Railroad

Item: 17-O     prior 1921 O&N style switch key     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice pocket worn block lettering and gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Oregon Short Line Railroad Backside: Oregon Short Line Railroad OSL R.R. Flag

Oregon Short Line Railroad

Item: 19-O     early 1881-82 issue     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and patina. Low three digit serial #
Key bit style similar to Clinchfield Key

History

The Oregon Short Line Railroad (OSL) was a railroad in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Montana and Oregon. The line was organized as the Oregon Short Line Railway in 1881 as a subsidiary of Union Pacific Railway. Union Pacific intended the line to be the shortest route ("the short line") from Wyoming to Oregon. In 1889 the line merged with the Utah & Northern Railway and a handful of smaller railroads to become the Oregon Short Line & Utah Northern Railway. Following the bankruptcy of Union Pacific, the line was taken into receivership and reorganized as the Oregon Short Line Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Oregon Short Line Backside: Oregon Short Line Liberty Bell, OSL depot, 1915.

Oregon Short Line Railroad

Item: 20-O     CS-2     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

The OSL was independent for a short period of time until October 1898 when the newly reformed Union Pacific Railroad took control of a majority of the board of directors. During the early part of the 20th century the railroad publicized tours of Yellowstone National Park by way of a spur constructed from Idaho Falls, Idaho to West Yellowstone, Montana. In 1938, Union Pacific began consolidating operations and leased for operation a number of its subsidiaries including the Oregon Short Line. The railroad operated under the lease until December 30, 1987, when the OSL was fully merged into the Union Pacific Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Oregon Short Line Railroad Backside: Oregon Short Line Railroad OSL R.R. Flag

Oregon Short Line Railroad

Item: 21-O     early 1881-82 issue     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca.early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.
A nice 1!


Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Oregon Short Line Backside: Oregon Short Line OSL R.R. Flag     OWR&N R.R. Flag

Oregon Short Line Railroad

Item: 22-O     road & bridge     Price: $100.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Nice block lettering and gold patina. Key listed in the
"American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

Click on image to view larger picture




Frontside: Oregon Short Line Backside: Oregon Short Line Marx Brothers Go West

Oregon Short Line Railroad

Item: 23-O     Special     Price: $195.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina. Key listed in the
"American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Oregon Railroad & Navigation Co. Railroad Backside: Oregon Railroad & Navigation Co. Railroad OR&N R.R Co.

Oregon Railroad & Navigation Co.

Item: 26-O     pre-merger 1910 UP/OWRR&N Co. style key     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.
Note: No "W" (Washington) stamp.

History

The OR&N company traces its roots back as far as 1860. It was incorporated in 1879 in Portland, Oregon and operated between Portland and eastern Washington and Oregon until 1896, when it was reorganized into the Oregon Railroad & Navigation Company. The OR&N company was the core 643 miles of the OR&N. Its route eventually became the backbone of Union Pacific Railroad's mainline from Utah to the Pacific Northwest.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Oregon-Washington Railroad & Navigation Co. Backside: Oregon-Washington Railroad & Navigation Co. UP R.R. Flag

Oregon-Washington Railroad & Navigation Co.

Item: 27-O     post 1910 UP/OWRR&N Co. merger key     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

The Oregon Railway and Navigation Company's purchase of the Oregon Steam Navigation Company in 1880 gave it a partial route on the south (Oregon) side of the Columbia River. The company then pursued expansion of its Columbia River route, surveying from where the Oregon Steam Navigation tracks ended at Celilo and continuing east to Wallula. By 1882 the route along the Columbia River was complete.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Backside: Oregon-Washington Railroad & Navigation Co. OR&N R.R.    The OR&N R.R. wharf

Oregon-Washington Railroad & Navigation Co.

Item: 28-O     post 1910 UP/OWRR&N Co. merger key     Price: $115.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and two-tone patina.

Click on image to view larger picture


P



Frontside: Panama Railway Backside: Panama Railway Panama R.R. Flag

Panama Railway

Item: 3-P     Price: $225.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and patina. The Panama Railway
greatly contributed to the bldg. of the canal. A Commonwealth country
of the U.S., Panama hopes to one day become the 51st state in our Union.

History

The Panama Canal Railway (Spanish: Ferrocarril de Panama) is a railway line that runs parallel to the Panama Canal, linking the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean in Central America. The route stretches 47.6 miles (76.6 km) across the Isthmus of Panama from Colon (Atlantic) to Balboa (Pacific, near Panama City). It is operated by Panama Canal Railway Company which is jointly owned by Kansas City Southern and Mi-Jack Products.

The Panama Canal Railway currently provides both freight and passenger service.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pennsylvania Midland Railway Backside: Pennsylvania Midland Railway PRR Flag

Pennsylvania Midland Railway

Item: 5-P     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina.
A rare 1!

History

After the panic of 1863 subsided, the New York and Scranton Construction Company was founded by entrepreneurs from both of those cities to create rail routes from New York to the coal-rich Wyoming Valley in Pennsylvania. Coal was the fuel of the industrial revolution and it needed to be transported from the Pennsylvania mines to New York City and beyond. At least four railroads were chartered to build inland routes. On June 12, 1881, a meeting took place in Jersey City in which the stockholders of the following six railroads; New Jersey Midland Railway, Paterson Extension Railway, Midland Connecting Railway, Northern Jersey Railway, Water Gap Railroad and Pennsylvania Midland Railway agreed to consolidate under the name "New York-Susquehanna & Western Railroad Company."

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pennsylvania Railroad Backside: Pennsylvania Railroad PRR Flag

Pennsylvania Railroad

Item: 7-P     New   car key   Listing     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Forged by the Stewart & Mattson Co.
Excellent stamp marks and gold patina.
A beauty!

History

The Pennsylvania Railroad (reporting mark PRR) (or Pennsylvania Railroad Company and also known the "Pennsy") was an American Class I railroad that was established in 1846 and was headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was called the Pennsylvania Railroad because it was established in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pennsylvania Railroad Backside: Pennsylvania Railroad PRR No.9453

Pennsylvania Railroad

Item: 8-P     car key     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Forged by the Stewart & Mattson Co.?
Same style Pennsy key as above. Nice!

History - continued from above

The PRR was the largest railroad by traffic and revenue in the U.S. for the first half of the 20th century. Over the years, it acquired, merged with or owned part of at least 800 other rail lines and companies. At the end of 1925, it operated 10,515 miles of rail line; in the 1920s, it carried nearly three times the traffic as other railroads of comparable length, such as the Union Pacific or Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroads. Its only formidable rival was the New York Central (NYC), which carried around three-quarters of PRR's ton-miles.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pennsylvania Railroad Backside: Pennsylvania Railroad PRR Map

Pennsylvania Railroad

Item: 9-P     New   knobby car key   Listing     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. F/S forged?
Great serif lettering and gold patina.

An interesting key

At first, I didn't think too much about this certain Pennsy key. After all, I think we've all seen double stamped keys before. Upon a closer look, viewing the key with 10x magnification, what I believed to be a "P" is actually a pocket worn "B." The person who once owned this key, was most likely an engineer. The reason I state this; before merging with an outside union, the engineer's nationwide union was known as the "BLE, Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. This thought leaves me to speculate, that a certain Pennsy Superintendent could have placed an order for the stamped BLE logo keys. The serif stamp marks look too good to have been engraved by an outsider. I'm thinking along the lines of a gratuity (for safety?), for his train yard's engineers. The Norfolk & Western / Norfolk Southern, were periodically handing out (and still is), memorabilia trinkets for safety, as well as the other big Carrier's. A great conversation piece. Any other thoughts on this key are welcome.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pennsylvania Railroad Backside: Pennsylvania Railroad PRR No.436

Pennsylvania Railroad

Item: 10-P         knobby car key     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by Fraim/Slaymaker Co.
Superb serif lettering and dark patina.

History - continued from above

Early in the 20th century the PRR tried electric power for its trains. First was the New York terminal area, where tunnels and a city law restricting the burning of coal precluded steam locomotives. There a direct current (DC) 650-volt third rail powered PRR locomotives (and LIRR passenger cars). The system was put into service in 1910.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pennsylvania Railroad Backside: Pennsylvania Railroad Pennsy advertisement

Pennsylvania Railroad

Item: 11-P     knobby car key     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

On February 1, 1968, the PRR merged with its longtime arch-rival, the New York Central, to form the Penn Central Transportation Company, with the PRR as the nominal survivor. After Conrail was divided between the Norfolk Southern Railway and CSX Transportation, most of PRR's trackage went to Norfolk Southern.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pennsylvania Railroad Backside: Pennsylvania Railroad Rays Hill Tunnel    Rays Hill Tunnel at night in 1942

Pennsylvania Railroad

Item: 12-P     knobby car key     Price: $40.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Fraim forged.
Pocket worn initials and superb patina.
Serial # 723 or 725

Item of Interest

The Second Vice-President of the PRR, John Borland Thayer, is lost in the sinking of RMS Titanic (1912) at age of 49.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pennsylvania Railroad Backside: Pennsylvania Railroad Penn Station ca. 1920

Pennsylvania Railroad

Item: 13-P     knobby car key     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Fraim forged.
Nice pocket worn serif lettering and superb patina.

Item of Interest

In 1957 steam locomotives are removed from active service in the PRR fleet.

Click on image to view larger picture




Frontside: Pennsylvania Railroad Backside: Pennsylvania Railroad Pennsy 1943 Time Table cover

Pennsylvania Railroad

Item: 14-P     "C" type key for Penna brass car locks     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.
Nice Pennsy oldie!

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Penna Co Backside: Penna Co NS engine No.8102

Penna Co

aka "the Pennsylvania Railroad"

Item: 15-P     "C" type key for Penna brass car locks     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb serif lettering dark patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pennsylvania Railroad Backside: Pennsylvania Railroad Pennsylvania R.R.

Penna Co.

Item: 16-P     "C" type key for Penna brass car locks     Price: $115.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and bright gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Penna System Backside: Penna System PRR Flag

Penna System

Item: 17-P     locomotive cab key     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and bright gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Penna Co Backside: Penna Co PRR train Chicago

Penna Co.

Item: 18-P     "S" type key for Penna brass switch locks     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.
Nice (A&W) hex stamp oldie!

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pennsylvania Railroad Backside: Pennsylvania Railroad PRR L6 Electric locomotive

Pennsylvania Railroad

Item: 19-P     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina.
Same style key as above but not as old.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Panhandle Backside: Panhandle PRR Flag

Pittsburgh-Cincinnati-Chicago & St. Louis Railroad

Item: 22-P     aka the Panhandle Railroad     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Nice block lettering and carmel patina. Key listed in the
"American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History

The Pittsburgh-Cincinnati-Chicago & St. Louis Railroad, commonly called the Pan Handle Route (Panhandle Route in later days), was a railroad that was part of the Pennsylvania Railroad system. Its common name came from its main line, which began at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, crossed the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, and continued west to Bradford, Ohio, where it split into a northern line to Chicago and a southern one through Indianapolis, Indiana, to East St. Louis, Illinois.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pittsburg & Shawmut Railroad Backside: Pittsburg & Shawmut Railroad

Pittsburg & Shawmut Railroad

Item: 24-P     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Adlake forged.
Nice block lettering and patina.

History

The Pittsburg & Shawmut Railroad Company began life on July 21, 1903 as the Brookville & Mahoning Railroad, leased by the Pittsburg-Shawmut & Northern Railroad. When the PS&N declared bankruptcy in 1905, the B&M was spun off into a separate entity and was renamed in 1909 due to confusion with the Boston & Maine Railroad's initials. Like its parent, the P&S was also financially troubled in its early years. The company struggled until corporate fortunes improved with the war mobilization of the 1940s. Coal was the principle commodity for the line for its entire existence. Doodlebugs and passenger trains ran on the route in the early years but had all been eliminated by 1939.

The company acquired a ten mile section of Conrail track running from Sligo to Lawsonham in 1989 and reorganized it as the Red Bank Railroad. On December 31, 1991 the company purchased about 110 miles of "low grade secondary" track from Lawsonham to Driftwood, Pennsylvania from Conrail and organized it as the Mountain Laurel Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Panhandle Backside: Panhandle Panhandle R.R. section gang

Panhandle Railroad

Item: 25-P     aka the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati-Chicago & St. Louis R.R.     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Adlake forged?
Superb serif lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

The Columbus-Chicago & Indiana Central Railway went bankrupt and was sold at foreclosure on January 10, 1883. The Chicago-St. Louis & Pittsburgh Railroad was incorporated in Indiana on March 14 and Illinois on March 15, and the former CC&IC was conveyed to the two companies on March 17. Operation by the PC&StL continued until April 1, 1883. On April 1, 1884, the two companies merged to form one Chicago-St. Louis & Pittsburgh Railroad. That company was merged with the PC&StL, Cincinnati & Richmond Railroad and Jeffersonville-Madison & Indianapolis Railroad on September 30, 1890, to form the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati-Chicago & St. Louis Railway (PCC&StL).

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Penn Central Railroad Backside: Penn Central Railroad PC R.R. Flag

Penn Central Railroad

Item: 27-P     former Pennsy key bit style     Price: $65.00

Remarks: Operated 1968-1976. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

History

The Penn Central Transportation Company, commonly abbreviated to Penn Central, was an American Class I railroad headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that operated from 1968 until 1976. It was created by the 1968 merger of the Pennsylvania and New York Central railroads. The New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad was added to the merger in 1969; by 1970, the company had filed for what was, at that time, the largest bankruptcy in U.S. history.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Penn Central Railroad Backside: Penn Central Railroad PC 6072 EMD SD40

Penn Central Railroad

Item: 28-P     former NYC key bit style     Price: $50.00

Remarks: Operated 1968-1976. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Penn Central Railroad Backside: Penn Central Railroad Penn Central

Penn Central Railroad

Item: 29-P     former NYC key bit style     Price: $45.00

Remarks: Operated 1968-1976. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Penn Central Railroad Backside: Penn Central Railroad The General   The General-Poster   The General

Penn Central Railroad

Item: 30-P     former NYC repair track key bit style     Price: $45.00

Remarks: Operated 1968-1976. Adlake forged.
Same style bit as a AT&SF derail key

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pacific Coast Railroad Backside: Pacific Coast Railroad Pacific Coast R.R. engine (2-8-0) No.14    Pacific Coast R.R. engine No.16

Pacific Coast Railroad (Seattle)

Item: 33-P     Price: $225.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb block lettering and patina. Started out as
a narrow gauge line. Merged into Great Northern in 1951.
Key is listed in the "American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History

The carrier was incorporated November 26, 1880, under the general laws of the Territory (now State) of Washington, as The Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad Company, for the purpose of constructing and operating a railroad from Seattle to Walla Walla, Wash., and to purchase and operate the property of the Seattle & Walla Walla Railroad Company, On March 20, 1916, under the general laws of the State of Washington, the name of the Columbia & Puget Sound Railroad Company was changed to the Pacific Coast Railroad Company. The date of organization of the carrier was November 27, 1880.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pacific Great Eastern Railway Backside: Pacific Great Eastern Railway PGE R.R. Flag

Pacific Great Eastern Railway

Item: 34-P     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Adlake forged.
Great block lettering and gold patina.

History

British Columbia's largest railroad and Canada's third largest was the Pacific Great Eastern Railway of the early 20th century. The system languished for years as an incomplete, money-losing operation with a few hundred miles in service north of Vancouver. This changed after World War II when government funding helped expand the PGE by several hundred miles and it continued to grow throughout the 1980s. By then the railroad was renamed as the British Columbia Railway and efforts were in place to extend it to the Alaskan border, finally allowing that state to connect with the North American rail network. This proposal would ultimately fall through due to rising costs. Later, the BC Rail system disappeared into Canadian National, which now leases the entire railroad from the local government.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pacific Electric Railway Backside: Pacific Electric Railway Pacific Electric Ry    PE R.R. Flag Pacific Electric Ry

Pacific Electric Railway

Item: 36-P     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

History

Pacific Electric, also known as the Red Car system, was a privately owned mass transit system in Southern California consisting of electrically powered streetcars, interurban cars and buses. The PE was the largest electric railway system in the world in the 1920s. Organized around the city centers of Los Angeles and San Bernardino, it connected cities in Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County and Riverside County. The system shared dual gauge track with the 3 ft 6 in narrow gauge Los Angeles Railway, "Yellow Car", or "LARy" system on Main Street in downtown Los Angeles (directly in front of the 6th and Main terminal), on 4th Street, and along Hawthorne Boulevard south of downtown Los Angeles toward the cities of Hawthorne, Gardena and Torrance.

Following these acquisitions, PE was the largest operator of interurban electric railway passenger service in the world, with 2,160 daily trains over 1,000 miles of track. It operated to many destinations in Southern California, particularly to the south and east.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pensacola Electric Co. Backside: Pensacola Electric Co. Pensacola Electric Co.

Pensacola Electric Company

Item: 38-P     New Listing     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the M.M. Buck Co.
Tapered barrel, superb serif lettering and gold patina.
Florida trolley line.

History

The streetcar system in Pensacola can be traced to Conrad Kupfrian, a German immigrant who was reportedly inspired by the horsecars he saw in St. Louis on a business trip. He formed a partnership, the Pensacola Streetcar Company, with Henry Pfeiffer and John Cosgrove. The men raised $50,000 in capital for the project and, on November 15, 1882, convinced the Pensacola City Council to pass an ordinance allowing steel track to be placed in the roadways.

An economic downturn affected the streetcar company in 1897. It was reorganized again as the Pensacola Electric Terminal Railway Company, with Captain William H. Northrup as president. During the course of it's operation, the PE had exchanged owners a few times. The PE was plagued by union strikes, segregation problems and later, the automoblie. At its peak, a total of 30 trolley cars carried four million passengers per year (1920). Partially covered tracks and barely concealed right-of way are clearly visible in various places along the former routes, including on West Gadsden Street, West DeSoto Street, and East Jackson Street.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Peoria Railway Terminal Backside: Peoria Railway Terminal CRI&P R.R. Flag    P&PU R.R. Flag    C&A R.R. Flag

Peoria Railway Terminal

Item: 40-P     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Peoria short line.
Rustic serif lettering and patina. Owned by the Rock Island,
Chicago & Alton and Peoria & Pekin Union Railroads.

History

The Peoria Terminal was incorporated January 18, 1926, under the general laws of Illinois, to acquire the property of the Peoria Terminal Railway Company.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Peoria Railway Terminal Backside: Peoria Railway Terminal Hoover's special train

Peoria Railway Terminal

Item: 41-P     New Listing     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Peoria short line.
Rustic serif lettering and patina. Owned by the Rock Island,
Chicago & Alton and Peoria & Pekin Union Railroads.

History

The Peoria Terminal owns and uses 20.905 miles of all tracks and uses but does not own 8.725 miles of all tracks. It also owns jointly with the Peoria and Pekin Union Railway Company, 0.243 undivided mile of yard tracks and sidings at Bartonville, Ill. In addition, the Peoria Terminal has trackage rights over about 1.39 miles of road owned by other carriers at Pekin and Peoria, Illinois.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Philadelphia Rapid Transit Co Backside: Phildelphia Rapid Transit Co PRT Trolley    PRT-model    PRT strike

Philadelphia Rapid Transit Co

Item: 43-P     Price: $100.00

Remarks: Incorporated in 1902. Phily's 1st electric trolley line.
Superb block lettering and bronze patina.

History

At the turn of the last century, the privately formed Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company contracted with the city to build and operate the electrified Market Street Elevated ("The El"), with a component designated for West Philadelphia. In 1907, the PRT and the city negotiated a contract giving PRT management of all transit lines and their construction. This contract secured PRT's monopoly and provided the city with regulatory authority and profit-sharing in the operation of the rapid transit system.

In 1940, PRT was officially reorganized into Philadelphia Transportation Company. The old company union was long gone by the mid 1940s, and employees were organized by the Teamsters and the Transit Workers Union. Control of the city's transit lines passed to National City Lines in the 1950s, which was then consolodated into SEPTA in 1968.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pickens Railroad Backside: Pickens Railroad Pickens R.R. EMD SW No.3    Pickens Railroad locomotive No.9507

Pickens Railroad

Item: 44-P     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Adlake forged?
Superb block lettering and gold patina.
South Carolina short line. Key is listed in the
"American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History

The Pickens Railroad is a shortline railroad that operates in the South Carolina Upstate region for more than a century, beginning in the 1890s.

The train became known as the Doodle train because there was no way to turn the engine between runs on the eight-mile route and it returned to Pickens backward, looking like a doodle bug

In the early 1990s NRUC became Emergent Group and sold the railroad to CLC-Chattahoochee Locomotive Corp., which renamed the railroad Pickens Railway Company, according to the Federal Register, 1 May 1996. On April 2, 2013, Pickens Railway pulled the last train to Easley because of lack of business. The final run was pulled by Pickens No.9502 and CLCX No.12132. The last train ended an era of over 100 years of running to Easley.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pine Creek Railroad Backside: Pine Creek Railroad Pine Creek R.R.    Pine Creek Railroad No.26

Pine Creek Railroad

Item: 46-P     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Narrow gauge switch key.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History

The origins of the New Jersey Museum of Transportation began with the purchase of a Baldwin 0-4-0T engine from the Raritan River Sand Company in 1952 by a pair of railroad enthusiasts. This first engine was named the Pine Creek No. 1 and was eventually sold to the Walt Disney company, where it was overhauled and renamed the No.4 Ernest S. Marsh. The engine is still in use today at the California theme park.

Initially a 2.5 acres (1.0 ha) plot of land on Route 9 in Marlboro was purchased where the railroad was run as a tourist attraction, but in 1952 when the organization was facing large property tax increases the not-for-profit Pine Creek Railroad Division of the New Jersey Museum of Transportation was formed and the operations were moved to its present day location in Allaire State Park.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Backside: Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad P&LE R.R. Flag

Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad

Item: 47-P     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History

The Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad (P&LE), also known as the "Little Giant," was formed on May 11, 1875. Company headquarters were located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The line connected Pittsburgh in the east with Youngstown, Ohio at nearby Haselton, Ohio in the west and Connellsville, Pennsylvania to the east. It did not reach Lake Erie (at Ashtabula, Ohio) until the formation of Conrail in 1976. The P&LE was known as the "Little Giant" since the tonnage that it moved was out of proportion to its route mileage. While it operated around one tenth of one percent of the nation's railroad miles, it hauled around one percent of its tonnage. This was largely because the P&LE served the steel mills of the greater Pittsburgh area, which consumed and shipped vast amounts of material. It was a specialized railroad deriving much of its revenue from coal, coke, iron ore, limestone, and steel. The eventual closure of the steel mills led to the end of the P&LE as an independent line in 1992.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Backside: Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad P&LE pay car

Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad

Item: 48-P     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged?
Nice bold serif lettering and two-tone patina.

History - continued from above

The P&LE was known as the "Little Giant" since the tonnage that it moved was out of proportion to its route mileage. While it operated around one tenth of one percent of the nation's railroad miles, it hauled around one percent of its tonnage. This was largely because the P&LE served the steel mills of the greater Pittsburgh area, which consumed and shipped vast amounts of material. It was a specialized railroad deriving much of its revenue from coal, coke, iron ore, limestone, and steel. The eventual closure of the steel mills led to the end of the P&LE as an independent line in 1992.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pittsburgh Joint Stockyards Co. Backside: Pittsburgh Joint Stockyards Co. B&O R.R. Flag     P R.R. Flag

Pittsburgh Joint Stockyards Co.

Item: 50-P     Price: $115.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and patina. A rarity!
Joint venture between the B&O and Pennsy railroads.

History

The first stockyards were built on Herr's Island by Pittsburgh tanner James Callery in 1885. Between 1903 and the 1950s the island, located in the Allegheny River near Pittsburgh, was the America's tenth largest livestock terminal and the second largest east of the Mississippi in terms of the volume of cattle, pigs, and sheep processed. Two of the island's principal tenants, the Pittsburgh Joint Stock Yards and the Pittsburgh Provision Company, not only held animals bound for Pittsburgh slaughterhouses but also put on livestock shows and auctions on the island. The stockyards closed in the summer of 1965 and were replaced by homes, tennis courts, office buildings, and rowing clubs on the renamed Washington's Landing Development.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pittsburgh-Lisbon & Western Railroad Backside: Pittsburgh-Lisbon & Western Railroad PL&W

Pittsburgh-Lisbon & Western Railroad

Item: 52-P     Price: $25.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Nice block lettering and rustic patina.

History

The Pittsburgh-Lisbon & Western Railroad was a short line that worked under the Youngstown & Southern Railroad until January 1, 1945 when it was absorbed into the smaller line.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pittsburgh-Lisbon & Western Railroad Backside: Pittsburgh-Lisbon & Western Railroad PL&W

Pittsburgh-Lisbon & Western Railroad

Item: 53-P     Price: $25.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Nice block lettering and dark patina.

Click on image to view larger picture




Frontside: Pittsburgh-Shawmut & Northern Railroad Backside: Pittsburgh-Shawmut & Northern Railroad PS&N R.R. Flag

Pittsburgh-Shawmut & Northern Railroad

Item: 55-P     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the J.W. Climax Co.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina.
Handsome double accent barrel rings.

History

The Pittsburg-Shawmut & Northern Railroad (reporting mark PSN) also known as the Shawmut Line, was a Class I railroad company operating passenger and freight service on standard gauge track in central Pennsylvania and western New York. The line was financially troubled for its entire life span and declared bankruptcy after just six years of operation. It would spend the remaining 42 year of its existence in receivership or trusteeship, one of the longest bankruptcy proceedings in American railroading history.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pittsburgh-Shawmut & Northern Railroad Backside: Pittsburgh-Shawmut & Northern Railroad 1975 movie - Breakheart Pass    1975 movie - Breakheart Pass

Pittsburgh-Shawmut & Northern Railroad

Item: 56-P     New Listing     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the J.W. Climax Co.
Excellent serif lettering and gold patina.
Handsome double accent barrel rings.

History - continued from above

The PS&N Railroad began life on August 2, 1899, as the merger of five small railroads in New York and Pennsylvania. 60 miles of what ultimately became the PS&N were originally 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge lines, though by the time of the PS&N's incorporation only 18 miles remained as narrow gauge. PS&N operations ended effective April 1, 1947. Portions of the line serving Olean, Brandy Camp, and Farmers Valley were acquired by the Pennsylvania Railroad. The Farmers Valley portion is today owned by the Norfolk Southern Railway and operated by the Western New York and Pennsylvania Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway Backside: Pittsburg & West Virginia Railway P&WV R.R. Flag

Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway

Item: 58-P     New Listing     Price: $225.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Excellent block lettering and patina.
A short lived line. Very early issue.

History

The Pittsburgh and West Virginia Railway was a railroad in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Wheeling, West Virginia, areas. Originally built as the Wabash Pittsburgh Terminal Railway, a Pittsburgh extension of George J. Gould's Wabash Railroad, the venture entered receivership in 1908 and the line was cut loose.

The railroad was leased in 1964 to NSC, formerly Norfolk and Western Railway Company, by the Company's predecessor for 99 years with the right of unlimited renewal for additional 99-year period under the same terms and conditions, including annual rent payments. The lease provides that NSC at its own expense and without deduction from the rent, will maintain, manage and operate the leased property and make such improvements thereto as it considers desirable. Such improvements made by NSC become the property of the Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railroad, and the cost thereof constitutes a recorded indebtedness of the Company to NSC.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pere Marquette Railroad Backside: Pere Marquette Railroad The St. Clair built in 1927    PM R.R. Flag    St. Clair aerial view

Pere Marquette Railroad

Item: 60-P     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Nice pocket worn block lettering and dark patina.

History

The Pere Marquette Railroad was incorporated on November 1, 1899 in anticipation of a merger of three Michigan-based railroad companies that had been agreed upon by all parties. It began operations on January 1, 1900, absorbing the following companies: Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad (F&PM) Detroit, Grand Rapids & Western Railroad (DGR&W) Chicago & West Michigan Railway (C&WM).

The company was reincorporated on March 12, 1917 as the Pere Marquette Railway. In the 1920s the Pere Marquette came under the control of Cleveland financiers Oris and Mantis Van Sweringen. These brothers also controlled the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad (Nickel Plate), the Erie Railroad and the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway, and planned to merge the four companies. However, the ICC did not approve the merger and the Van Sweringens eventually sold their interest in the Pere Marquette to the C&O, with which it formally merged on June 6, 1947. The C&O has since become part of CSX Transportation.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pomeroy & Newark Railroad Backside: Pomeroy & Newark Railroad PRR Flag

Pomeroy & Newark Railroad

Item: 62-P     Price: $215.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-very early 1900's.
Superb serif lettering and patina. Pennsy predecessor.

History

The Pomeroy & Newark Railroad was a predecessor of the Pennsylvania Railroad in the U.S. states of Delaware and Pennsylvania. It connected Pomeroy, Pennsylvania to Newark, Delaware, and has mostly been abandoned.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Peoria & Pekin Union Railroad Backside: Peoria & Pekin Union Railroad P&PU R.R. Flag

Peoria & Pekin Union Railroad

Item: 64-P     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice pocket worn block lettering. Great gold patina.
This key stamped "RR" + key below stamped "RY" = nice set.

History

The Peoria & Pekin Union Railway (PPU) is a switching and terminal railroad in Illinois that began operating in 1881 and was leased to the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad in 2004. Its main yard and roundhouse are in East Peoria, Illinois, and it owns track on both sides of the Illinois River. The company also owns a rail bridge over the river.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Peoria & Pekin Union Railway Backside: Peoria & Pekin Union Railway P&PU engine (2-8-0) No.2140

Peoria & Pekin Union Railway

Item: 65-P     New Listing     Price: $115.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Excellent block lettering and two-tone patina. This key
stamped "RY" + key above stamped "RR" = nice set.

History - continued from above

By 1944, the P&PU was switching 14 major railways that ran into Peoria, an unusually high number of railways for a city the size of Peoria. The P&PU currently switches trains for 8 other railways, handles over 170,000 cars per year, and is owned jointly by the Canadian National Railway, Norfolk Southern Railway, and Union Pacific Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Peoria & Pekin Union Railway Backside: Peoria & Pekin Union Railway P&PU R.R. Flag

Peoria & Pekin Union Railway

Item: 66-P     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.
A nice 1!

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Backside: Philadelphia & Reading Railroad P&R R.R. Flag

Philadelphia & Reading Railroad

Item: 68-P     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Large hilt.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History

The Philadelphia & Reading Railroad (P&R) was one of the first railroads constructed in the United States, chartered in 1833. It opened in 1842 from Philadelphia along the Schuylkill River through Reading and Pottsville, Pennsylvania, having the distinction of being the first double track main line in the country. The purpose of the railroad was to carry anthracite coal from the mines in northeastern Pennsylvania's coal region to Philadelphia.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Backside: Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Reading depot

Philadelphia & Reading Railroad

Item: 69-P     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. A shorty.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

In the reorganization of 1896 the railroad and the coal company both became properties of the Reading Company (RDG), a holding company. In 1898 the RDG leased the Wilmington & Northern Railroad, a line from Reading to Wilmington, Delaware, and in 1901 the RDG acquired control of the CNJ. At that same time the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) purchased a controlling interest in the RDG.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Backside: Philadelphia & Reading Railroad The General   The General   The General   The General

Philadelphia & Reading Railroad

Item: 70-P     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Attractive block lettering and two-tone patina.

History - continued from above

During the 1890s, to ward off government efforts to break up monopolies, the P & R's owners created a new holding company named Reading Company, to own on paper, the P & R Railroad and P & R Coal and Iron Co. Finally, a Supreme Court ruling forced a complete separation of the P & R entities. On January 1, 1924, the P & R Coal and Iron Co. became independent, and Reading Company became the railroad's operating name.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Backside: Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Reading Terminal

Philadelphia & Reading Railroad

Item: 71-P     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb serif lettering and carmel patina.

History - continued from above

After World War II as America began to turn away from coal as its major fuel, The Reading's fate began to turn as well. Dragged down by the failure of surrounding lines on which it depended for traffic to offset the loss of the coal business, The Reading entered bankruptcy in 1971. Its operations were taken over as part of the federally financed CONRAIL, on April 1, 1976.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Backside: Philadelphia & Reading Railroad The General   The General   The General

Philadelphia & Reading Railroad

Item: 72-P     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Fraim forged?
Superb serif lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Pickering Valley  Railroad Backside: Pickering Valley  Railroad Reading R.R. Flag

Pickering Valley Railroad

Item: 74-P     Price: $100.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.Key listed in the
"American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History

The Pickering Valley Railroad was a short line railroad in Chester County, Pennsylvania. It ran from Phoenixville to Byers, near Eagle, in Upper Uwchlan Township, a distance of approximately 11 miles (18 km), over which distance it gained 316 feet (96 m) in elevation. The company was incorporated June 4, 1869, under the provisions of a special act of the Pennsylvania government approved April 3, 1869, and organized June 22, 1869, with the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company subscribing to the bulk of the stock. In or about 1870, the still-unbuilt railroad was leased to the Reading Railroad; it opened in September 1871.

Passenger service on the Pickering Valley was discontinued in 1934, and the portion of the line from Kimberton to Byers was abandoned in 1948. The remaining track served the Phoenix steel mill (a portion was also briefly used by the Valley Forge Scenic Railroad until abandoned by Conrail (successor to the Reading) in the 1980s. Little remains of the line today.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Portland & Rumford Falls Railway Backside: Portland & Rumford Falls Railway P&RF-map

Portland & Rumford Falls Railway

Item: 76-P     Price: $275.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. A rare 1!
Superb serif lettering and patina.
129 years old and still a beauty!

History

The Portland and Rumford Falls Railway started operations in 1890 and stopped service in 1946 for a total period of operations of 56 years.

This railway, built in 1849, was originally known as the Buckfield Branch Railway. It connected with the Canadian Grand Trunk at Mechanic Falls, and consisted of only 13 miles of track. In 1856, the Portland and Oxford Central Railroad Company acquired the line, and extended the tracks to Canton. It was soon abandoned and for many years was in disuse. In 1878, the Rumford Falls and Buckfield Railroad Company became the new owners, restored the line, and the following year, extended the tracks up to Gilbertville in Canton. During the Civil War, Gilbertville was the mustering point for the men in the area. In 1890, this road became the Portland and Rumford Falls Railway, and in 1892, to accommodate the mills up river, extended the tracks 15 miles west to Rumford Falls. In 1894, the company extended the tracks 12 miles east from Mechanic Falls to the Poland Springs Junction in Auburn, making a connection with the Maine Central Railroad, thus making the line from the junction with the Maine Central Railroad to Rumford Falls, a 53 mile, 2 hour ride.

In 1894, Chisholm and associates chartered a second rail line, the Rumford Falls & Rangeley Lakes Railroad, to service nearby timberlands and outdoor sporting locales. This line would further increase the prowess of Rumford Falls and the profitability of the Portland & Rumford Falls Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Frontside: Port Terminal Railroad Association Backside: Port Terminal Railroad Association PTRA R.R. Flag    PT No.'s 9606 & 9604

Port Terminal Railroad Association

Item: 77-P     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Nice serif lettering and patina.

History

PTRA is an association formed in 1924 by the 18 railroads that had access to Houston at the time. UP and BNSF are now the voting members of the Board of Directors that actually control the PTRA. Non-voting members are the PTRA and the Port of Houston.

Click on image to view larger picture



Dates quoted for keys are approximate dates. Railroad switch keys initials (reporting mark) are assumed to be correct and accurate.
Comments on any railroad initials origin, including (typos), are welcome. Last update 09/09/2019

Top

contact webmaster