CN Freight Train - 16th St. Chicago

  Contact RRT | Misc. | Locks | Keys | Home | Lanterns | Picture Gallery | Payment  

"a website for the railroad enthusiast"

All Key Sales are Final
Front Side: Acadiana Railway Back Side: Acadiana Railway Acadiana Ry

Acadiana Railway

Item: 2-A     Price: $95.00

Remarks: Established in 1990. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Louisiana short line.

History

The Acadiana Railway Company operates freight service from Crowley, Louisiana, to a connection with UP at Eunice (21.6 miles) and then via trackage rights over the UP to Opelousas (20.9 miles). The company continues over its own line from Opelousas to Bunkie, Louisiana, (36.1 miles). Five miles of former SP switching track at Opelousas are operated. AKDN also leases Thibodeaux Industrial Lead from McCall, Louisiana, to Lula, Louisiana, (5 miles). Traffic includes agricultural products, edible oils and general freight.

The Eunice line was built by the New Orleans, Texas and Mexico Railroad before 1900. The Eunice and Bunkie lines are former Missouri Pacific lines and were sold
to the current owner in October 1990. Short line service started October 15, 1990. Thibodeaux Industrial Lead was leased and freight service started September 2000.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Alton Back Side: Alton Alton R.R. Flag

Alton Railroad

Item: 3-A     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Car key. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb patina. Nice pocket worn oldie!

History

The Alton & Sangamon Railroad was chartered on February 27, 1847 to build a railroad connecting the agricultural area centered on Springfield, Illinois, with Alton, on the east bank of the Mississippi River 20 miles (32 kilometres) north of St. Louis. The railroad opened in 1851. During the ensuing decade it was extended north through Bloomington to Joliet and was renamed the St. Louis, Alton and Chicago Railroad (StLA&C). The Chicago & Alton Railroad (C&A) was organized in 1861 to purchase the StLA&C. In 1864 C&A leased the Joliet and Chicago Railroad (J&C) to gain access to Chicago. Timothy Blackstone, president of the J&C, became president of the C&A.

By the end of the 19th century the railroad had attracted the notice of railroad barons Jay Gould, John D. Rockefeller, and E. H. Harriman, each of whom could find a place in their respective railroad empires for the C&A. The C&A Railroad became reincorporated as the C&A Railway on April 2, 1900, to take over a line from Springfield to Peoria; the following day it leased the C&A Railroad. The two companies were consolidated as the C&A Railroad in 1906. In 1904 control passed to the Union Pacific Railroad and the Rock Island, and in 1907 to the Toledo, St. Louis & Western Railroad (part of the Nickel Plate). In 1912 the C&A began a string of deficit years that continued almost unbroken to 1941. It lost much of the coal traffic it had carried to Chicago, and the cattle trade from Kansas City disappeared (Blackstone had been one of the developers of the Chicago Union Stock Yards). In 1922, the C&A entered receivership.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Alton Back Side: Alton Alton locomotive No.5276

Alton Railroad

Item: 4-A     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and dark patina.

History

The Alton was the first railroad to install a dining car, the Delmonico, in regular service. It was built by George Pullman in the CB&Q Railroad's Aurora, Illinois shops. Two more dining cars, the Tremont and the Southern were also built and leased by the Chicago and Alton, providing dining car service on all of its Chicago to East St. Louis trains. In 1932 the Alton was the first Chicago-St. Louis Railroad to install air conditioning on its passenger trains.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Alton Back Side: Alton Giant camera - In 1900, George Lawrence built the world's largest camera to take a photograph of the Alton Limited locomotive. The camera weighed 1400 pounds and used a 4.5' x 8' glass-plate negative.

Alton Railroad

Item: 5-A     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Keyline forged.
Superb block lettering and patina.

History

The Alton was the first railroad to install a dining car, the Delmonico, in regular service. It was built by George Pullman in the CB&Q Railroad's Aurora, Illinois shops. Two more dining cars, the Tremont and the Southern were also built and leased by the Chicago and Alton, providing dining car service on all of its Chicago to East St. Louis trains. In 1932 the Alton was the first Chicago-St. Louis Railroad to install air conditioning on its passenger trains.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Alton & Southern Railroad Back Side: Alton & Southern Railroad A&S R.R. Flag

Alton & Southern Railroad

SOLD     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and carmel patina.

History

The Alton & Southern Railroad was formed in 1910, and in 1913 it absorbed the Denverside Connecting Railway (founded in 1910), and the Alton & Southern Railway (founded in 1911). The company was operated as a subsidiary of the Aluminum Ore Company, which was itself a subsidiary of the Aluminum Company of America (Alcoa), to serve the Bayer process bauxite-to-alumina refinery at Alorton, Illinois.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Alton & Southern Railroad Back Side: Alton & Southern Railroad Alton & Southern Railroad No.16 Mikado engine and tender.

Alton & Southern Railroad

Item: 7-A     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina. A single digit beauty!

History - continued from above

Alcoa sold the line to the Missouri Pacific Railroad and Chicago & North Western Railway (C&NW) in 1968, and it was reorganized as the Alton & Southern Railway. In 1972, the C&NW share's were sold to the St. Louis Southwestern Railway (SSW). In 1982, the Union Pacific Railroad (UP) took ownership of the Missouri Pacific share and then became full owner in 1996 with the acquisition of SSW parent Southern Pacific Transportation Company. The Alton & Southern is still a legally separate entity but is wholly owned by Union Pacific Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Alton & Southern Railroad Back Side: Alton & Southern Railroad A&S R.R. Flag

Alton & Southern Railroad

Item: 8-A     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged?
Attractive serif lettering and dark patina.

History - See 6-A

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Ann Arbor Railroad Back Side: Ann Arbor Railroad AA RR Flag

Ann Arbor Railroad

Item: 9-A     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Attractive serif lettering and patina.

History

Chartered in 1895, the Ann Arbor Railroad pioneered ferries, capable of carrying fully loaded rail cars across Lake Michigan. A railroad survivor of all the economic downfalls of the 20th century, the fifty mile short line still operates today. Since 2013, the Ann Arbor is owned by the Watco Companies Rail Service

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side:  Aberdeen & Asheboro Railroad Back Side:  Aberdeen & Asheboro Railroad On-the-fly catch

Aberdeen & Asheboro Railroad

Item: 10-A     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Bohannan Co.
Stylish ring barrel. Superb block lettering and patina.
North Carolina short line.

History

The Aberdeen & Asheboro Railroad (A&A), known locally as "Page's Road," was the conglomeration of two previous railroads built by the Page family of Aberdeen, North Carolina, at the turn of the 20th century. The railroad ran 56 miles (90 km) to connect its namesake cities with a 20.75-mile long (33.39 km) branch connecting Biscoe to Troy and Mount Gilead and another branch connecting West End to Jackson Springs.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Akron & Barberton Belt Railroad Back Side: Akron & Barberton Belt Railroad A&BB R.R. Flag

Akron & Barberton Belt Railroad

Item: 11-A     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and patina. Low serial number.

History

The Akron & Barberton Belt Railroad was a switching railroad that was built to serve various industries around cities of Barberton and Akron in Ohio. The main purpose was to switch chemical cars for Pittsburgh Plate Glass, Babcox and Wilcox Companies as well as O.C. Barber's match works, all in Barberton. It was controlled by the Akron-Canton & Youngstown, Baltimore & Ohio, Pennsylvania and Erie railroads.

From 1942 to 1972, the ABB pulled their trains with four Baldwin switching locomotives. Prior to that they operated several 0-6-0 engines based an Pennsylvania Railroad designs, a 2-6-0 and another 0-6-0 switcher. The Pennsylvania designed engines had "doghouses" on their tenders for crew members as the railroad did not use cabooses until the 1940s. In 1964, they purchased an additional ALCO RS-3 locomotive from the Pennsylvania Railroad. These worn out locomotives were scrapped in 1972 when the railroad began using leased motive power from Precision National Corporation. On many occasions, the Belt would lease from the four owners, most notably the N&W. This lasted until October 1982 when two EMD SW1500 locomotives were purchased from Conrail. These two units make the motive power on the current system.

In 1984, PPG industries in Barberton closed up most of their operations and ABB lost 65% of their business. However, luck turned around in 1985, when they acquired Conrail trackage in Rittman and gained access to the Morton Salt and Packaging Corporation of America factories. In 1994 the railroad was a sold to the Akron Barberton Cluster Railway which in turn is owned by the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atlanta-Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad Back Side: Atlanta-Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad AB&A R.R. Flag

Atlanta-Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad

Item: 12-A     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Slaymaker Co.
Attractive serif lettering and fine pocket wear.
Very low serial number.

History

The Atlanta-Birmingham & Atlantic Railway was formed in 1914 as a reorganization of the Atlanta-Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad, which had been created in 1905 to purchase the Atlantic & Birmingham Railway and extend its track into Birmingham Alabama, from an end point at Montezuma, Georgia. The railroad went into receivership in 1921 and was acquired by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1926. They reorganized the line as the Atlanta-Birmingham& Coast Railroad, which connected to their Louisville & Nashville Railroad division.

The Mangum Street embankment which ran north-south along Mangum Street (parallel to today's Northside Drive, but two blocks to the east), upon which trains reached the Atlanta terminus west of Downtown Atlanta, was built in 1905 and razed circa 1990 for construction of the Georgia Dome. The building was used as offices and passenger terminal for the AB&A in Atlanta is located at the corner of Fairlie and Walton Streets in downtown Atlanta. It is now used as offices for Central Atlanta Progress. The upper facade of the building retains the "Atlanta-Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad" stonework on two sides.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Back Side: Atlantic Coast Line Railroad AC R.R. Flag

Atlantic Coast Line Railroad

Item: 13-A     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb serif lettering and carmel patina.

History

The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad is a former U.S. Class I railroad from 1900 until 1967. In 1958 the ACL and SAL announced they were considering merger, and in 1960 they petitioned the ICC to merge as the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad. The two companies served much the same territory, and they had 75 common points. The principal argument for merger was the elimination of duplicate lines and facilities. Much of the original ACL network has been part of CSX Transportation since 1986.

The history of the Atlantic Coast Line (ACL) began in 1830 with the organization of the Petersburg Railroad, which opened between its namesake city in Virginia and the north fork of the Roanoke River opposite Weldon, North Carolina. The Richmond & Petersburg Railroad (R&P) was organized in 1836 and formed a connection with the Petersburg Railroad in 1838, after an initial period during which the two companies interchanged freight and passengers with riverboats but not with each other

The Atlantic Coast Line served the Southeast, with a concentration of lines in Florida. Numerous named passenger trains were operated by the railroad for Florida-bound tourists, with the Atlantic Coast Line contributing significantly to Florida's economic development in the first half of the 20th century.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Back Side: Atlantic Coast Line Railroad ACL Gainesville, Florida.

Atlantic Coast Line Railroad

Item: 14-A     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and superb dark patina.

History - continued from above

After the turn of the century ACL grew quickly into a large system of railroads, some leased, some controlled, some wholly owned. With the acquisition in 1902 of the Plant System; the Savannah-Florida & Western Railway and its leased lines and subsidiaries, plus steamship lines and hotels), ACL expanded south from Charleston, South Carolina into Georgia and Florida. The ACL Railroad was considered one of the three strong railroads of the South (the other two were the L&N and the Southern. During World War II ACL's passenger traffic increased 200 percent and freight traffic 150 percent. The railroad provided an alternate to coastal shipping, threatened by German submarines, and also served the fast-emerging military industry in the Southeast.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Back Side: Atlantic Coast Line Railroad AC R.R. Flag

Atlantic Coast Line Railroad

Item: 15-A     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and patina.

History - See 9-A

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Back Side: Atlantic Coast Line Railroad AC R.R. Flag

Atlantic Coast Line Railroad

Item: 16-A     Price: $20.00

Remarks: ACL signal padlock key.
Key will work with this style ACL- signal-lock

History - See 9-A

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Akron-Bedford & Cleveland Railroad Back Side: Akron-Bedford & Cleveland Railroad ABC R.R. Flag

Akron-Bedford & Cleveland Railroad

Item: 17-A     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Forged by the Bohannan Co.
Stylish ring barrel and and fine pocket wear.
Superb serif lettering and patina. Nice relic!

History

Chartered in 1895 the Alphabet Railroad, began service between Akron and Cleveland, Ohio on November 9, 1895. At the time of its completion, it was the longest electrified rail line in the world. Around 1900 the ABC Railroad merged with several other area railroads to form the Northeast Ohio Traction & Lighting Company (NOT&LCo) which operated the line until 1932.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Alaska Railroad Back Side: Alaska Railroad Alaska R.R. Flag

Alaska Railroad

Item: 19-A     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Block lettering and nice patina.

History

The Alaska Railroad (reporting mark ARR) is a Class II railroad which extends from Seward and Whittier, in the south of the state of Alaska, in the United States, to Fairbanks (passing through Anchorage), and beyond to Eielson Air Force Base and Fort Wainwright in the interior of that state. Uniquely (for the US), it carries both freight and passengers throughout its system, including Denali National Park. The railroad has a mainline over 470 miles (760 km) long and is well over 500 miles (800 km) including branch lines and siding tracks. It is currently owned by the state of Alaska.

The railroad is connected to the contiguous 48 via three rail barges that sail between the Port of Whittier, Alaska and Harbor Island in Seattle (the Alaska Railroad-owned Alaska Rail Marine, from Whittier to Seattle, and the CN Rail-owned Aqua Train, from Whittier to Prince Rupert, British Columbia) but does not currently have a direct, land-based connection with any other railroad lines on the North American network.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Alabama Power Company Back Side: Alabama Power Company Alabama Power Co

Alabama Power Company

Item: 20-A     Price: $40.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged?
When coal was king.

History

Alabama Power Company was founded on Dec. 4, 1906. For more than 100 years the Powell Avenue steam plant served as a major source of energy for Birmingham.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Alabama Power Company Back Side: Alabama Power Company Alabama Power Co

Alabama Power Company

Item: 21-A     Price: $40.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged?
When coal was king.

History - See 20-A

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Arkansas & Louisiana Missouri Railroad Back Side: Arkansas & Louisiana Missouri Railroad A&LM R.R. Flag

Arkansas & Louisiana Missouri Railroad

Item: 22-A     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. mid-late 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Block lettering and nice carmel patina.

History

From 1920 to 1991, the Arkansas & Louisiana Missouri Railway operated a 53 mile shortline from Monroe, Louisiana, north through Bastrop to Crossett, Arkansas. The previous operator of the line, organized in 1915 and known as the Arkansas & Louisiana Midland Railway, proved unsuccessful and led to the formation of the A&LM. The line remained an independent operation until 1991, when Georgia-Pacific Corporation organized the Arkansas-Louisiana & Mississippi Railroad to purchase the A&LM. In 2004, shortline operator Genessee & Wyoming purchased several lines in the area, including the A&LM. The shortline carried lumber, paper, forest products, and chemicals. Interchange partners over the years included Missouri Pacific and later Union Pacific, Illinois Central Gulf and later MidSouth, the Fordyce & Princeton, and the now abandoned Ashley-Drew & Northern.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Arkansas Southern Railroad Back Side: Arkansas Southern Railroad A&N engine & tender

Arkansas Southern Railroad

Item: 23-A     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Superb serif lettering and dark patina. A very rare Arkansas oldie!
Not to be confused with today's Arkansas Southern Railroad.

History

The Arkansas Southern Railroad was chartered in the very late 1800's. The short line was the first segment of Rock Island's (the Rock had yet to reach Chicago), Louisiana Division. The Arkansas Southern Railroads' original route ran from Eldorado, Arkansas to Sabine City Texas, a distance of 287 miles, with branches to Shreveport and Monroe Louisiana.

The Arkansas Southern Railroad connected with the St.Louis-Iron Mountain & Southern Railway at Eldorado, Arkansas.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Altoona & Philipsburg Connecting Railroad Back Side: Altoona & Philipsburg Connecting Railroad Pomeroy Trail, Newark

Altoona & Philipsburg Connecting Railroad

Item: 24-A     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and gold patina.

History

The A&PC Railroad exisisted in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Samuel P. Langdon controlled the Altoona & Philipsburg Connecting Railroad, a short line coal hauler in the Philipsburg, PA area. On April 1, it was announced that the A&PC had been bought by the New York & Pittsburgh Air Line Railroad, which had been organized on March 22, 1906. One of the directors was John Langdon, a mine owner in Huntingdon County and probably a relative and agent of Samuel P. As the road was then in the hands of a court-appointed receiver, the NY&PAL's ability to carry out this transaction was highly suspect. It did briefly operate the A&PC, which in the meantime was sold to David L. Krebs, for the bondholders; the sheriff of Clearfield County turned the railroad over to him on September 27, and it was reorganized as the Philipsburg Railroad the next year. Litigation by the NY&PAL to regain control continued, unsuccessfully, until 1909. The PJE&E, which had managed to get a number of the A&PC's gondola cars returned to Langdon's Oak Ridge Coal Co. rather than to the A&PC, remained in existence as a paper railroad and was foreclosed on April 12, 1909. It was reorganized as the Philipsburg & Johnstown Railroad on September 14, 1909, and was listed as defunct by the Public Utilities Commission in 1911-1912.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Angelina & Neches River Railroad Back Side: Angelina & Neches River Railroad A&N engine & crew.

Angelina & Neches River Railroad

SOLD     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.

History

The Angelina & Neches River Railroad (reporting mark ANR) is a short-line railroad headquartered in Lufkin, Texas. ANR operates an 11.6 miles (18.7 km) line from Dunagan, Texas, to an interchange with Union Pacific Railroad at Lufkin. ANR traffic includes lumber, foundry products, paper, plywood, chemicals, limestone, scrap iron, steel, and clay.

ANR was founded in the 1880s as a logging route, and at its peak operated over 30 miles (48 km) of railroad. It also operates a
short portion of line formerly belonging to the East Texas Railroad and the Texas Southeastern Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Apalachicola Northern Back Side: Apalachicola Northern Railroad AN R.R. Flag

Apalachicola Northern Railroad

Item: 26-A     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Elongated barrel. Attractive block lettering and superb carmel patina.

History

The Apalachicola Northern Railroad was a short-line railroad which operated in the Florida Panhandle. It owned and operated a 96-mile (154 km) between Port Saint Joe, Florida and Chattahoochee, Florida, with a short spur to Apalachicola, Florida. It was founded in 1903 and ceased operating in 2002 when the St. Joe Company, its corporate parent, leased its line to the AN Railway.

The company was chartered on April 7, 1903. Construction began on March 21, 1905, and trains began running north from Apalachicola in 1907. The extension to Port St. Joe was completed on May 10, 1910. The company operated in receivership on three separate occasions: July 1907 to October 1908, May 1914 to February 1916 and May 1932 to December 1936.

The company came under ownership of Alfred I. du Pont in 1933, along with the entire town of Port St. Joe. The railroad's largest customer, the St. Joe Paper Company mill in Port St. Joe, was owned by the Alfred I. duPont Testamentary Trust from 1936 to 1996. On September 30, 1940, Edward Ball, who managed the du Pont trust properties, transferred control of the railroad to the St. Joe Paper Company. When the paper company was sold in 1996, ownership of the railroad was returned to the St. Joe Company.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atlantic-Suwannee River & Gulf Railroad Back Side: Atlantic-Suwannee River & Gulf Railroad ASR&G R.R. Flag

Atlantic-Suwannee River & Gulf Railway

Item: 27-A     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice copper color patina. Low serial number.

History

Chartered in 1893, the company had the right to build canals as feeders for the railroad, which was to be standard gauge. The company merged with the already-incorporated Atlantic-Suwannee River & Gulf Railroad Company, which had begun to build the line. The railroad was promised land grants along its line. The ASR&G was purchased by the Seaboard Airline Railroad in 1909.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Ahnapee & Western Railway Back Side: Ahnapee & Western Railway A&W R.R. Flag

Ahnapee & Western Railway

Item: 28-A     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Nice serif lettering and superb natural dark patina.
The A&W was sold by the GB&W to local interests in 1947.

History

The Ahnapee & Western Railway (A&W) was a common carrier short line railroad located in northeastern Wisconsin. The railroad ran 34.5 miles (55.5 km) from a connection with the Kewaunee, Green Bay and Western Railroad at Casco Junction to the lakeshore terminals of Algoma in Kewaunee County and Sturgeon Bay in the "Door County thumb" of Wisconsin. Other towns along the line include Casco, Rio Creek, Forestville, Maplewood, and Sawyer. The name of the railroad comes from the city of Ahnapee, which was founded along the Ahnapee River and became Algoma in 1899.

The A&W was incorporated on August 18, 1890, and was built from Casco Junction to Algoma in 1892 and extended to Sturgeon Bay in 1894. It was financed by Edward Decker, a prominent businessman in the area, to dovetail with his logging, publishing, and other commercial interests centered at Casco. Decker sold the company on August 1, 1906, to the Green Bay & Western Railroad (GB&W). The A&W became a division of the GB&W and the physical plant of the line was substantially upgraded in the period around World War I. Through the Depression years the railroad saw a decrease in traffic and the GB&W looked to sell the line during World War II despite short term increases in carload traffic due to wartime production of naval vessels and of wood products at industries along the route. The A&W also transported German prisoners of war to Door County to work the fruit harvest season during the war years.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Allegheny Valley Railroad Back Side: Allegheny Valley Railroad AV RR locomotive

Allegheny Valley Railroad

Item: 29-A     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the J.H.W. Climax Co.
Superb serif lettering and copper patina.

History

The Allegheny Valley Railroad was originally incorporated April 4, 1837 as the Pittsburgh-Kittanning & Warren Railroad. The name was changed in 1852 to the Allegheny Valley Railroad. The company having sold the required $100,000 worth of stock, was granted a patent through Felix Brunot, Esq. by the governor of Pennsylvania. Felix Brunot also served as one of the first directors of the railroad. The charter granted to the AVRR was one of the best obtained by any road in Pennsylvania. The road was immune from taxation until the dividends reached 12% and it was also granted perfect freedom in the choice of a route. The road was completed to Kittanning January 23, 1856 and the first train was greeted in Kittanning with great ceremony. The railroad proved to be a great convenience, but did not truly pay its own way until oil was discovered at Drake's well and the road was extended to Oil City in 1870.

Today, the current company, established in 1992 is a separate entity from the original Allegheny Valley Railroad, which was established in the 1850s. The Allegheny Valley Railroad acts as a feeder line connecting its many and varied customers to Class I railroads such as CSX Transportation and Norfolk Southern Railway and regional lines such as the Buffalo & Pittsburgh Railroad and the modern Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Arkansas Valley Railroad Back Side: Arkansas Valley Railroad Advertisement

Arkansas Valley Railroad

SOLD     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Subsidiary of the Kansas Pacific.
Nice block lettering and great gold patina. Not to be confused with AV interurban.
A very rare key, the Arkansas Valley operated for only six years.

History

The Arkansas Valley Railway Company was a subsidiary of the Kansas Pacific. The purpose of the line was to extend the Kansas Pacific to Pueblo.
It was incorporated twice, once in September 1871, and again the following September. The line only reached La Junta and ceased operations in 1877.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Ashland Railway Back Side: Ashland Railway Ashland R.R. Flag

Ashland Railway

Item: 32-A     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. late 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and patina.

History

Ashland Railway (reporting mark ASRY) is a Class III shortline railroad operating within North Central Ohio and based in Mansfield, Ohio. Since inception in 1986, Ashland Railway has grown to provide service 24 hours a day 7 days a week along 55 miles of track, to industries within Ashland, Huron, Richland and Wayne counties. ASRY interchanges with the Norfolk Southern Railway in Mansfield, The Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway in Plymouth and CSX Transportation (CSXT) in Willard. The line runs southeast from Willard through Plymouth and Shelby, to Mansfield. From Mansfield the line runs northeast through Ashland and terminates in West Salem.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Back Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad AT&SF R.R. Flag

Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway

Item: 33-A     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.

History

The Atchison-Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (ATSF), often abbreviated to Santa Fe or AT&SF, was one of the larger railroads in the United States. Chartered in February 1859, the railroad reached the Kansas-Colorado border in 1873 and Pueblo, Colorado, in 1876. To create a demand for its services, the railroad set up real estate offices and sold farm land from the land grants that it was awarded by Congress. Despite the name, its main line never served Santa Fe, New Mexico, as the terrain was too difficult; the town ultimately was reached by a branch line from Lamy.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Back Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad AT&SF engine No.2929

Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway

Item: 34-A     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and two-tone patina.
A nice older SF RY key.

History - continued from above

The Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe was chartered on February 11, 1859, to join Atchison and Topeka, Kansas, with Santa Fe, New Mexico. In its early years, the railroad
opened Kansas to settlement. Much of its revenue came from wheat grown there and from cattle driven north from Texas to Wichita and Dodge City by September 1872.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Back Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad AT&SF R.R. Flag

Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad

Item: 35-A     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb block lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

The Santa Fe was a pioneer in intermodal freight service, an enterprise that (at one time or another) included a tugboat fleet and an airline (the short-lived Santa Fe Skyway).
Its bus line extended passenger transportation to areas not accessible by rail, and ferryboats on the San Francisco Bay allowed travelers to complete their westward journeys to the Pacific Ocean.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Back Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Mexican immigrants on the AT&SF Ry

Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad

SOLD     Price: $275.00

Remarks: ca. mid-late 1800's. Forged by the Slaymaker/Barry Co.
Superb serif lettering and patina. White spots on key are
alloy impurities. Shows better in your hand. Number 5 = bit style.

History - continued from above

The railroad officially ceased operations on December 31, 1996, when it merged with the Burlington Northern Railroad to form the Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Back Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad AT&SF turntable

Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad

SOLD     Price: $275.00

Remarks: ca. mid-late 1800's. Forged by the Slaymaker/Barry Co.
Superb serif lettering and gold/copper patina.
Another Santa Fe beauty. Number 3 = bit style.

History - See 33-A

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Back Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad The Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad

Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad

Item: 38-A     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. mid-late 1800's. Forged by the Slaymaker/Barry Co.
Superb serif lettering and two-tone patina. A very old handsome key!

History - See 33-A

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Back Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway AT&SF

Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway

Item: 39-A     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Elongated barrel. Nice serif lettering and two-tone patina.

History - See 33-A

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Back Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway AT&SF R.R. Flag

Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway

Item: 40-A     derail key     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Keyline forged.
Nice block lettering and gold patina. This two-step bit
AT&SF key will work with certain Pennsy & Conrail locks.
Barrel well opening is the shape of the #9.

History - See 33-A

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Back Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway No Parking

Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway

Item: 41-A     derail key        Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and rustic gold patina.

History - See 33-A

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Back Side: Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad AT&SF R.R. Flag

Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad

Item: 42-A     Price: $100.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Steel utility keys.
To sell as group, will not break set up.

History - See 33-A

Click on image to view larger picture



Dates quoted for keys are approximate dates. Railroad switch keys initials (reporting mark) are assumed to be correct and accurate.
Comments on any railroad initials origin, including (typos), are welcome. Last update 02/09/2018

Top

contact webmaster