CN Freight Train - 16th St. Chicago

  Contact RRT | Misc. | Locks | Keys | Home | Lanterns | Picture Gallery | Payment  

"a website for the railroad enthusiast"

All Key Sales are Final
Front Side: CP-SP Railroad Back Side: CP-SP Railroad Completion of the Pacific Railroad    Central Pacific R.R. Flag    SP R.R. Flag    Central Pacific workcamp in Nevada

Central Pacific/Southern Pacific Railroad

Item: 2-C     New Listing     Price: $975.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Rare father & son keys.
Forged by the CP/Southern Pacific R.R.- Sacramento shops.
Tapered barrel, superb block lettering and carmel/gold patina.
Two well preserved beauties! Sold as a set only.

History

The Central Pacific Railroad (CPRR) is the former name of the railroad network built between California and Utah, US, that built eastwards from the West Coast in the 1860s, to complete the western part of the "First Transcontinental Railroad" in North America. It is now part of the Union Pacific Railroad.

In 1885 the Central Pacific Railroad was leased by the Southern Pacific Company. Technically the CPRR remained a corporate entity until 1959, when it was formally merged into Southern Pacific. It was reorganized in 1899 as the "Central Pacific "Railway." The original right-of-way is now controlled by the Union Pacific, which bought Southern Pacific in 1996.

The Union Pacific-Central Pacific (Southern Pacific) mainline followed the historic Overland Route from Omaha, Nebraska to San Francisco Bay.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Cambria & Indiana Railroad Back Side: Cambria & Indiana Railroad C&I R.R. Flag    C&I Switchers

Cambria & Indiana Railroad

Item: 3-C     New Listing     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb block lettering and patina. Nice early C&I key.

History

The Cambria and Indiana Railroad (C&I) (reporting mark CI) is a railway company that is located in the southeastern part of Indiana County, Pennsylvania in the United States. Incorporated in 1904 and built in 1910 with the intention of carrying lumber, coal was discovered in the area soon after its construction, and C&I's fortunes subsequently became closely intertwined with the coal industry.

C&I became the "richest railroad in the country," generating the most revenue per mile of track, during the 1930s and 1940s. The increasing use of electricity for heating purposes, however, dealt a severe blow to C&I and in 1995, C&I divested almost all its assets. The decision by the International Steel Group (ISG) of Cleveland to reopen a mine (Mine 33) near Ebensburg primarily to produce coke for steel-making may yet give renewed hopes for C&I after a long hiatus.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Carolina-Clinchfield & Ohio Railroad Back Side: Carolina-Clinchfield & Ohio Railroad CC&O R.R.

Carolina-Clinchfield & Ohio Railroad

SOLD     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Early Clinchfield key.
Superb serif lettering and patina. Clinchfield collectors view key
with the original Clinchfield railroad name South & Western.

History

The Clinchfield Railroad was an operating and holding company for the Carolina-Clinchfield and Ohio Railway (reporting mark CCO). The line ran from the coalfields of Virginia and Elkhorn City, Kentucky, to the textile mills of South Carolina. The 35-mile segment from Dante, Virginia, to Elkhorn City, opening up the coal lands north of Sandy Ridge Mountains and forming a connection with the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway at Elkhorn City, was completed in 1915.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Clinchfield Railroad Back Side: Clinchfield Railroad Clinchfield R.R. Flag

Clinchfield Railroad

Item: 5-C     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Bohannan Co.
Stylish ring barrel. Great gold patina. This key + CRR key below = nice set.
Both key style's are pictured in the "American Railways Switch Key Directory."
Rarer of the two Clinchfield key styles.

History - continued from above

The Clinchfield was the last Class I railroad built in the U.S. east of the Rocky Mountains. The 266-mile railroad provided access to numerous scenic wonders of the Appalachian region and is probably best known for the state-of-the-art railroad engineering techniques applied in its construction, as exemplified by the Clinchfield Loops climbing the Blue Ridge Mountains north of Marion, North Carolina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Clinchfield Railroad Back Side: Clinchfield Railroad Clinchfield E-3 Challenger    Clinchfield E-3 Challenger

Clinchfield Railroad

Item: 6-C     Price: $110.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Slaymaker Co.
Serif lettering and attractive dark patina. This key + CRR key above = nice set.
Both key style's are pictured in the "American Railways Switch Key Directory."

History - continued from above

The Clinchfield Railroad began operating the line December 1, 1924, and for many years it was leased jointly by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad and Louisville & Nashville Railroad. When the L&N merged with the ACL's successor, the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad, effective January 1, 1983, forming the Seaboard System Railroad, the separate operating company was unnecessary and was merged into the Seaboard. The line is now owned and operated by CSX Transportation as their Blue Ridge Subdivision (Spartanburg to Erwin, Tennessee) and Kingsport Subdivision (Erwin to Elkhorn City).

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Carolina-Clinchfield & Ohio Railroad Back Side: Carolina-Clinchfield & Ohio Railroad CFNM poster

National Railway of Mexico

Item: 7-C     New Listing     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina. This railroad, gobbled
up the railroad listed below in 1906. Nice south of the border key!
This key + key below = nice set!

History

The Mexican Central Railway (Ferrocarril Central Mexicano) was one of the primary pre-nationalization railways of Mexico. Incorporated in Massachusetts in 1880, it opened the main line in March 1884, linking Mexico City to Ciudad Juarez, across the Rio Grande from El Paso and connections to the Southern Pacific Railroad, Texas & Pacific Railway, and Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway, and many other railroad branches.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Mexican Central Railway Back Side: Mexican Central Railway Mexican Central Ry train

Mexican Central Railway

Item: 8-C     New Listing     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Bohannan forged.
Attractive block lettering and superb gold patina.
Gobbled up by the railroad listed above.
This key + key above = nice set!

History

One of the former oldest Mexican railroads, the Mexican government gained control in 1906, and in February 1909 the Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Mexico (National Railways of Mexico) took over the property. Following privatization in the 1990s, Ferromex acquired most of the former Mexican Central, the primary exception being the branch from Chicalote to Tampico, which was assigned to Transportacion Ferroviaria Mexicana (now Kansas City Southern de Mexico).

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Alton Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Alton Railroad C&A R.R. Flag

Chicago & Alton Railroad

Item: 9-C     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adams & Westlake Co.
Superb block lettering and patina. Excellent stamp marks.

History

The Alton & Sangamon Railroad was chartered on February 27, 1847 to build a railroad connecting the agricultural area centered on Springfield, Illinois, with Alton, on the east bank of the Mississippi River 20 miles north of St. Louis. The railroad opened in 1851. During the ensuing decade it was extended north through Bloomington to Joliet and was renamed the St. Louis-Alton & Chicago Railroad. The Chicago & Alton Railroad was organized in 1861 to purchase the Kansas City-St. Louis & Chicago Railroad.

Timothy Blackstone, president of the J&C, became president of the C&A. The C&A Railroad became reincorporated as the C&A Railway on April 2, 1900, to take over a line from Springfield to Peoria; the following day it leased the C&A Railroad. The two companies were consolidated as the C&A Railroad in 1906. In 1904 control passed to the Union Pacific Railroad and the Rock Island, and in 1907 to the Toledo-St. Louis & Western Railroad (part of the Nickel Plate). In 1912 the C&A began a string of deficit years that continued almost unbroken to 1941. It lost much of the coal traffic it had carried to Chicago, and the cattle trade from Kansas City disappeared (Blackstone had been one of the developers of the Chicago Union Stock Yards). In 1922, the C&A entered receivership.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Alton Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Alton Railroad C&A Pullman coach car

Chicago & Alton Railroad

Item: 10-C     New Listing     Price: $115.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adams & Westlake Co.
Superb block lettering and patina. Nice C&A oldie!
"O" = division or terminal.

History - continued from above

The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad purchased the C&A at a foreclosure sale in 1929. B&O incorporated the Alton Railroad on January 7, 1931, and on July 18 of that year the Alton purchased the property of the C&A Railroad. For 12 years the Alton Railroad was operated as part of the B&O, but on March 10, 1943, B&O restored its independence (Alton had filed for reorganization on November 25, 1942. Several midwestern railroads considered purchasing the Alton but declined; the Gulf-Mobile & Ohio Railroad (GM&O) offered merger. In 1945 GM&O paid B&O approximately $1.2 million for all its claims against the Alton and all its Alton stock. The effective date of the merger was May 31, 1947.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Alton Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Alton Railroad C&A R.R. Flag

Chicago & Alton Railroad

Item: 11-C     New Listing     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture




Front Side: Central Railroad of New Jersey Back Side: Central Railroad of New Jersey CNJ RR Flag

Central Railroad of New Jersey

Item: 12-C     New Listing     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Early CRRofNJ key.
Nice pocket worn serif lettering and patina.

History

The earliest railroad ancestor of the CNJ was the Elizabethtown & Somerville Railroad, incorporated in 1831 and opened from Elizabethport to Elizabeth, New Jersey in 1836. Horses gave way to steam in 1839, and the railroad was extended west, reaching Somerville at the beginning of 1842. From 1883 to 1887 the CNJ was leased to and operated by the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, with which it formed a New York-Philadelphia route. CNJ resumed its own management after reorganization in 1887.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Central Railroad of New Jersey Back Side: Central Railroad of New Jersey CNJ Terminal    CRRNJ ferryboat

Central Railroad of New Jersey

Item: 13-C     New Listing     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Nice serif lettering and rustic patina.

History - continued from above

The CNJ was absorbed into Conrail in April 1976 along with several other prominent bankrupt railroads of the northeastern United States.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Burlington & Northern Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Burlington & Northern Railroad BN R.R. Flag

Chicago-Burlington & Northern Railroad

SOLD     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Stylish ring barrel.
Superb gold patina. Excellent serif lettering and fine pocket wear.

History

The Chicago-Burlington & Quincy Railroad was a Class I railroad that operated in the Midwestern United States. Commonly referred to as the Burlington or Q, the Burlington Route served a large area, including the states of Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Wyoming, and New Mexico and Texas via subsidiary railroads. Its primary connections included Chicago, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, St. Louis, Kansas City and Denver. Because of this extensive trackage in the midwestern and mountain states, the railroad used the advertising slogans "Everywhere West," "Way of the Zephyrs" and "The Way West."

In 1970 the Q merged with three other railroads to become the Burlington Northern Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Conemaugh & Black Lick Railroad Back Side: Conemaugh & Black Lick Railroad C&BL R.R. engine No.45    C&BL switcher No.104

Conemaugh & Black Lick Railroad

Item: 15-C     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and superb patina.

History

The Conemaugh & Black Lick Railroad Company was incorporated December 31, 1923, under general laws of Pennsylvania and was organized on January 14, 1924.

A steel hauler short line railroad located in Johnstown, PA, comprised of the Western and Northern divisions and southerly portion of the Hinckston division
is owned by the Cambria Iron Company but subleased to the carrier by the Bethlehem Steel Products Company.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Colorado & Southern Railway Back Side: Colorado & Southern Railway C&S RR Flag

Colorado & Southern Railway

SOLD     Price: $115.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

History

The Colorado & Southern Railway (C&S, CS) was an American Class I railroad in the western United States that operated independently from 1898 to 1908,
then as part of the Chicago-Burlington & Quincy Railroad until it was absorbed into the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1981.

The railway began as the consolidation of bankrupt railroads on 1898. The Colorado Central Railroad and Cheyenne & Northern Railway were brought together to form the Union Pacific-Denver & Gulf Railway in 1890. When Union Pacific went bankrupt in 1893 they were separated from the Union Pacific and united with the Denver-Leadville & Gunnison Railway and others, by Frank Trumbull to form the Colorado & Southern Railroad in 1898. In 1908 the Chicago-Burlington & Quincy Railroad bought control of the C&S. It would later merge into the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1981.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Cleveland-Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Cleveland-Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad Big 4 R.R. Flag

Chicago-Cleveland-Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad

Item: 17-C     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged?
Superb serif lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Cleveland-Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Cleveland-Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad Beach Grove Indiana Big 4 mechanical shops

Chicago-Cleveland-Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad

Item: 18-C     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Cleveland-Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Cleveland-Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad Big 4 system map

Chicago-Cleveland-Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad

Item: 19-C     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged?
Superb serif lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Combs-Cass & Eastern Railway Back Side: Combs-Cass & Eastern Railway Combs depot

Combs-Cass & Eastern Railway

SOLD     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Absorbed into the Frisco.
Nice stamp marks and gold patina.
Last railroad built in northwestern Arkansas.

History

The carrier was Incorporated January 22, 1915, as the Black Mountain & Eastern Railroad Company under the laws of the State of Arkansas.
The name of this company was changed to Combs-Cass & Eastern Railroad Company on August 1, 1916.

The Combs-Cass & Eastern Railroad Company (CC&E) has several distinctions. It was the last railroad built in northwestern Arkansas. It reached the highest elevation of the railroads operating in northwest Arkansas and was the sole standard gauge logging railroad there. Prominent Arkansan J. William Fulbright became president at the age of eighteen, thus becoming the youngest railroad president in the United States.

The railroad owned five cars; all lettered "Black Mountain & Eastern", these included two boxcars, one ex-Frisco caboose, and two gasoline-powered maintenance vehicles. The railroad likely relied on the Frisco for flat cars to carry semi-finished timber to the large J. H. Phipps mill in Fayetteville (Washington County) and a smaller Phipps mill at Combs. The Frisco had also provided bridge-building equipment to construct the four large trestles.

Click on image to view larger picture

Front Side: Cincinnati Hamilton & Dayton Railroad Back Side: Cincinnati Hamilton & Dayton Railroad CH&D R.R. Flag    CH&D R.R. train station    B&O R.R. Flag

Cincinnati Hamilton & Dayton Railroad

Item: 24-C     New Listing     Price: $165.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb stamp marks and patina. Very early A&W - CH&D key.
Given the moniker, "Charge High and Damn Rough Ride."

History

The Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad (CH&D) was a railroad based in the U.S. state of Ohio that existed between its incorporation on March 2, 1846, and its acquisition by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in December 1917. (This railroad should not be confused with the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railway, an Ohio interurban of exactly the same name which existed between 1926 and 1930.) It was originally chartered to build from Cincinnati to Hamilton, Ohio, and then to Dayton, a distance of 59 mi (95 km); further construction and acquisition extended the railroad, and by 1902 it owned or controlled 640 mi (1,030 km) of railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Cincinnati Hamilton & Dayton Railway Back Side: Cincinnati Hamilton & Dayton Railway    CH&D Ry coach car

Cincinnati Hamilton & Dayton Railway

Item: 25-C     Interurban     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Nice CH&D oldie!
Nice bold serif stamp marks and patina.

History

The Cincinnati & Dayton Traction Company was an electric interurban railway that existed between 1926 and 1930 in the U.S. state of Ohio. It was absorbed in 1930 into the new Cincinnati & Lake Erie interurban railway. In typical interurban fashion, in open country it had its own right of way, although this was often adjacent and parallel to a road. In cities and towns it operated on city streets. This included two and three car freight/express trains as well as passenger cars.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Cincinnati Hamilton & Dayton Railway Back Side: Cincinnati Hamilton & Dayton Railway CH&D R.R. train station

Cincinnati Hamilton & Dayton Railway

Item: 26-C     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Nice CH&D oldie!
Superb block lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad CE&I R.R. Flag

Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad

Item: 28-C     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. A&W steel forged key.
Superb block lettering and silver patina.

History

The Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad was a Class I railroad that linked Chicago to southern Illinois, St. Louis, and Evansville. Founded in 1877, it grew aggressively and stayed relatively strong throughout the Great Depression and two World Wars before being purchased by the Missouri Pacific Railroad (MP or MoPac) and the Louisville & Nashville Railroad (L&N). MoPac merged the C&EI corporate entity in 1976 and was later acquired itself by the Union Pacific Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad Murder in the Private Car    Murder in the Private Car    Murder in the Private Car

Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad

Item: 29-C     Price: $25.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

The C&EI Railroad was organized in 1877 as a consolidation of three others; the Chicago-Danville & Vincennes Railroad (Chicago-Danville, November 1871), the Evansville-Terre Haute & Chicago Railroad (Danville-Terre Haute, October 1871) and the Evansville & Terre Haute Railroad (Terre Haute-Evansville, November 1854). Intended to merge or purchase railroads that had built lines between the southern suburbs of Chicago and Terre Haute, Indiana through Danville, Illinois, the C&EI constructed a new line from Chicago to a Mississippi River connection in extreme southern Illinois at Thebes.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad MoPac R.R. Flag

Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad

Item: 30-C     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Attractive block lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

The Missouri Pacific Railroad began to quietly purchase C&EI stock in 1961. After approval was gained from the Interstate Commerce Commission, Mopac assumed control of the C&EI in May 1967. One of the stipulations of the merger required sale of part of the railroad to the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. The line directly south of Chicago to near Danville was actually purchased by both railroads (and continues to be owned and operated jointly by MoPac and L&N's successors, Union Pacific Railroad and CSX Transportation). The C&EI was maintained as a separate subsidiary for a few years, but Missouri Pacific merged it in 1976.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad C&EI designed & built cafe coach car

Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad

Item: 31-C     repair track key     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Central Illinois Public Service Company Back Side: Central Illinois Public Service Company 1933 movie Nuisance    1933 movie Nuisance    1933 movie Nuisance

Central Illinois Public Service Company

Item: 34-C     Price: $25.00

Remarks: Chartered in 1902. Slaymaker forged?
Superb serif lettering and patina.
Different style cut than CIPS key below.

History

The Central Illinois Public Service Company was an electric streetcar holding company and power utility first organized in 1902. Under its later quarter billion dollar holding company, CIPSCO Inc. (formerly NYSE: CIP), it merged in 1997 with the larger neighboring Union Electric Company of Missouri (formerly NYSE: UEP) to form Ameren Corporation (NYSE: AEE) based in St. Louis, Missouri. Now a subsidiary, AmerenCIPS is headquartered in Springfield, Illinois.

In 1902, in Mattoon, Illinois, the core of the company was born as the Mattoon City Railway Streetcar company, the first of the company's many
later interurban electric railways. In 1910, the Mattoon City Railway was reorganized as the Central Illinois Public Service Company.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: CIPS-CO Back Side: CIPS-CO the

Central Illinois Public Service Company

Item: 35-C     Price: $35.00

Remarks: ca. late 1900's. Fraim forged.
Nice block lettering and two-tone patina.
Different style cut than CIPS key above.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Great Western Railroad Back Side: Chicago Great Western Railroad CGW R.R. Flag

Chicago Great Western Railway

Item: 36-C     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb stamp marks and gold patina.
Given the moniker, "Corn Belt Route."

History

The Chicago Great Western Railroad was a Class I railroad that linked Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, and Kansas City. Through mergers and new construction, the railroad, named Chicago Great Western after 1892, quickly became a multi-state carrier. One of the last Class I railroads to be built, it competed against several other more well-established railroads in the same territory, and developed a corporate culture of innovation and efficiency to survive.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Great Western Railroad Back Side: Chicago Great Western Railroad CGW F-Series

Chicago Great Western Railway

Item: 37-C     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and carmel patina.
Another nice CGW oldie!

History - continued from above

Nicknamed the "Corn Belt Route" because of its operating area in the midwestern United States, the railroad was sometimes called the "Lucky Strike Road," due to the similarity in design between the herald of the CGW and the logo used for Lucky Strike cigarettes. On July 1st 1968 it merged with the Chicago & North Western Railway (C&NW), which abandoned most of CGW's trackage.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Great Western Railroad Back Side: Chicago Great Western Railroad CGW R.R. Flag

Chicago Great Western Railway

Item: 38-C     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Indiana & Southern Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Indiana & Southern Railroad  B&O R.R. Flag

Chicago-Indiana & Southern

Item: 39-C     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Great serial number "A 222"
Nice pocket worn serif lettering. Great gold patina.
CI&S predates the NYC merger. Very rare key!

History

The Chicago-Indiana & Southern Railroad (reporting mark CI&S) is a defunct railroad which operated in the states of Illinois and Indiana during the early 20th century. The CI&S was formed in 1906 from the consolidation of the two other railroads; the Indiana-Illinois & Iowa Railroad and the Indiana Harbor Railroad. The new railroad also owned the capital stock of the Danville & Indiana Harbor Railroad. The stock of the new company itself was wholly owned by the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway and the Michigan Central Railroad, both of which were part of the New York Central system. A 1907 report called the CI&S a "tributary to the Lake Shore." The railroad operated two lines: a north-south line between Indiana Harbor (East Chicago, Indiana) and Danville, Illinois, and a line from the Spring Valley coalfields at Seatonville, Illinois, to South Bend, Indiana. Together the two lines controlled 301 miles of track. In 1914 the CI&S was one of several railroads consolidated to form the modern New York Central Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Junction Railway Back Side: Chicago Junction Railway NS R.R. Flag

Chicago Junction Railway

Item: 41-C     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb dark block lettering and patina.

History

The Chicago Junction Railway operated a switching and terminal railroad in Chicago, connecting the Union Stock Yards with most other railroads in the city. It also briefly operated an outer belt, which became the Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad in 1907. The New York Central Railroad acquired control of the company in 1922 and leased it to subsidiary Chicago River & Indiana Railroad. The line is now owned and operated by the Norfolk Southern Railway

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Junction Railway Back Side: Chicago Junction Railway Hand operated turntable

Chicago Junction Railway

Item: 42-C     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Central New England Railroad Back Side: Central New England Railroad CNE R.R. Flag    Central New England Railway

Central New England Railroad

Item: 43-C     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Superb serif lettering
and rustic patina. A rare one!

History

The Central New England Railway (reporting mark CNE) was a railroad from Hartford, Connecticut and Springfield, Massachusetts west across northern Connecticut and across the Hudson River on the Poughkeepsie Bridge to Maybrook, New York. It was part of the Poughkeepsie Bridge Route, an alliance between railroads for a passenger route from Washington to Boston, and was acquired by the New York- New Haven & Hartford Railroad in 1904.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Columbia Iron & Metal Back Side: Columbia Iron & Metal CI&M engine No.32

Columbia Iron & Metal Co.

Item: 45-C     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Attractive block lettering.
Superb copper like patina.

History

The more I searched for information on this short line, the more I discovered that very little existed.
What I did discover, was the Columbia Iron & Metal was a short line that was located in Girard, Ohio.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Columbia-Newberry & Laurens Railroad Back Side: Columbia-Newberry & Laurens Railroad CNL R.R. engine

Columbia-Newberry & Laurens Railroad

Item: 46-C     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and dark patina.
Different style cut than CN&L key below.

History

The Columbia-Newberry & Laurens Railroad was a 75-mile railroad line between Columbia and Laurens.

The first locomotive of the CN&L was built in 1887 and sold in 1922. The CN&L ran daily passenger trains from Union Station in Columbia to Laurens, always pulled by steam until discontinued in 1952. Not surprisingly, the railroad saw to the creation of towns along its line. Towns such as Irmo, Chapin, Little Mountain, Prosperity and Joanna owe their existence in part to their locations along the CN&L. In 1924 the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad acquired control of the line. It became part of the CSX Transportation system in 1984.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Columbia-Newberry & Laurens Railroad Back Side: Columbia-Newberry & Laurens Railroad SC R.R. engine

Columbia-Newberry & Laurens Railroad

Item: 47-C     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged?
Superb block lettering and carmel patina.
Different style cut than CN&L key above.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Cornwall & Lebanon Railroad Back Side: Cornwall & Lebanon Railroad C&L train

Cornwall & Lebanon Railroad

Item: 49-C     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. very early 1900's. Double accent rings.
Pocket worn serif lettering and superb patina.
Unique cone style tapered barrel.

History

The Cornwall & Lebanon Railroad opened in 1883 and directly competed for ore traffic with the Cornwall Railroad. It ran from Lebanon, Pa through Cornwall and Mount Gretna down to Conewago. This little line was eventually acquired by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1918. It was abandoned by Penn Central in 1972 after Hurricane Agnes badly damaged the track and not enough freight revenue warranted its rebuilding.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Lakeshore & Eastern Railroad Back Side: Chicago Lakeshore & Eastern Railroad The Horse Soldiers

Chicago Lakeshore & Eastern Railroad

Item: 50-C     Price: $135.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Fine pocket wear and superb gold patina. Rare key.

History

The Eastern is the successor of the Calumet & Blue Island Railway Company, which was incorporated in Illinois on September 20, 1889. By agreement dated February 17, 1897, entered into by and between the Calumet & Blue Island and the Chicago-Lake Shore & Eastern Railway Company, incorporated in Indiana on April 9, 1895, the franchise rights and other property of the latter were transferred to the former, and by the terms of the same agreement the name of the Calumet & Blue Island was changed to Chicago-Lake Shore & Eastern Railway Company. This agreement was filed in the office of the Secretary of State of Illinois on Febrauary 20, 1897, and in the office of the Secretary of State of Indiana on February 25, 1897.

The line thus acquired by the Calumet & Blue Island extended from the Illinois-Indiana State line to Pine Junction, Ind., a distance of about 8 miles, but in 1908 the portion of this line between Indiana Harbor and Pine Junction, about 3 miles, was abandoned. On August 18, 1890, the Calumet & Blue Island purchased from the Illinois Steel Company.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Canadian National Railway Back Side: Canadian National Railway CN R.R. Flag

Canadian National Railway

Item: 52-C     New Listing     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Mitchell forged.
Superb block lettering and patina.
Given the moniker, "Certainly No Rush."

History

CN is Canada's largest railway, in terms of both revenue and the physical size of its rail network, and is Canada's only transcontinental railway company, spanning Canada from the Atlantic coast in Nova Scotia to the Pacific coast in British Columbia. Its range once reached across the island of Newfoundland until 1988, when the Newfoundland Railway was abandoned.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Canadian National Railway Back Side: Canadian National Railway CNR engine No.2800

Canadian National Railway

Item: 53-C     New Listing     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Mitchell forged.
Nice brass and steel coach/caboose keys.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side:  CP-CNR Railway Back Side:  CP-CNR Railway CN R.R. Flag    CP R.R. Flag

CP-CNR Railway

Item: 54-C     New Listing     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Mitchell forged.
Nice brass coach/caboose keys.

History - continued from above

Following CN's purchase of Illinois Central (IC) in 1998, and a number of smaller US railways, it also has extensive trackage in the central United States along the Mississippi River valley from the Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico. Today, CN owns about 20,400 route miles.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Canadian Pacific Railway Back Side: Canadian Pacific Railway CP R.R. Flag

Canadian Pacific Railway

Item: 55-C     New Listing     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Mitchell forged.
Nice brass and steel coach/caboose keys.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad Back Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad CP R.R. Flag

Canadian Pacific Railroad

Item: 56-C     Price: $35.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Mitchell forged.
Nice serif lettering and patina.
Given the moniker, "Can't Please."

History

Chartered in 1881 and headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, it owns approximately 14,000 miles of track all across Canada and into the United States, stretching from Montreal to Vancouver, and as far north as Edmonton. Its rail network also serves major cities in the United States, such as Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago, and New York City.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad Back Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad CP Ry

Canadian Pacific Railroad

Item: 57-C     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Mitchell forged.
Superb stamp marks and gold patina.
"CPR" reporting mark used between 1968-1996.
Now known as "CP."

History - continued from above

The railway was originally built between Eastern Canada and British Columbia between 1881 and 1885 (connecting with Ottawa Valley and Georgian Bay area lines built earlier), fulfilling a promise extended to British Columbia when it entered Confederation in 1871. It was Canada's first transcontinental railway, but currently does not reach the Atlantic coast. Primarily a freight railway, the CPR was for decades the only practical means of long-distance passenger transport in most regions of Canada, and was instrumental in the settlement and development of Western Canada. The CP is now operated by Canadian Pacific Railway Limited.

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad Back Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad
CP R.R. Flag

Canadian Pacific Railroad

Item: 58-C     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Most likely Mitchell forged.
Pocket worn serif lettering and superb patina.
A nice CPR oldie!

History - continued from above

Many thousands of navvies (UK unskilled laborers) worked on the railway. Many were European immigrants. In British Columbia, government contractors hired workers from China, known as "coolies." A navvy received between $1 and $2.50 per day, but had to pay for his own food, clothing, transport to the job site, mail and medical care. After 2 1/2 months of hard labour, they could net as little as $16. Chinese labourers in British Columbia made only between 75 cents and $1.25 a day, paid in rice mats, and not including expenses, leaving barely anything to send home.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad Back Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad CP Chinese section gang

Canadian Pacific Railroad

Item: 59-C     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina.
Another nice CPR oldie!

History - continued from above

The last spike in the CPR was driven on 7 November 1885, by one of its directors, Donald Smith, but so many cost-cutting shortcuts were taken in constructing the railway that regular transcontinental service could not start for another seven months while work was done to improve the railway's condition (part of this was because of snow in the mountains and lack of snowsheds to keep the line open). However, had these shortcuts not been taken, it is conceivable that the CPR might have had to default financially, leaving the railway unfinished.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad Back Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad CP tunnel

Canadian Pacific Railroad

Item: 60-C     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb block lettering and carmel patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad Back Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad Port Arthur 1st Train

Canadian Pacific Railroad

Item: 61-C     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Mitchell forged.
Attractive block lettering and superb patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad Back Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad CP R.R. Flag

Canadian Pacific Railroad

Item: 62-C     Price: $20.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Mitchell forged.
Ex-fine pocket worn lettering and superb gold patina.
Nice spare.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad Back Side: Canadian Pacific Railroad Wooden railway bridge

Canadian Pacific Railroad

Item: 63-C     #6 = telegraph phone box key    Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Mitchell forged?
Superb stamp marks and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Cleveland-Canton & Southern Railroad Back Side: Cleveland-Canton & Southern Railroad CC&S R.R. Flag

Cleveland-Canton & Southern Railroad

Item: 65-C     Price: $275.00

Remarks: Operated 1890-99. Forged by the Romer Co.
Superb serif lettering and steel patina.
Barrel accent rings. Very rare key.

Only CC&S key I have seen and might be one of only a few in the collection circles.

History

A second-wave railroad was the narrow gauge Cleveland-Canton & Southern, a coal-hauler. An outgrowth of the Ohio & Toledo and the Youngstown & Connotton Valley Railroad companies, this line reached Cleveland from Canton and Kent in Jan. 1882, under the flag of the Connotton Northern Railroad. Like the others, it was susceptible to economic downswings, and the recession of 1884-85 threw the Connotton Northern into a receivership that produced the Cleveland & Canton Railroad, a standard gauge carrier. The Panic of 1893 prompted further corporate reshaping when the Cleveland & Canton became the Cleveland-Canton & Southern. Ultimately, in 1899 the railroad, which gave Cleveland convenient access to east Ohio coal fields, found a financially, healthy home within the Wheeling & Lake Erie system.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad CM&St.P R.R. Flag

Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad

Item: 67-C     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and carmel patina.

History

The Chicago-Milwaukee-St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (often referred to as the Milwaukee Road) , was a Class I railroad that operated in the Midwest and Northwest of the United States from 1847 until 1980, when its Pacific Extension was embargoed through the states of Montana, Idaho, and Washington. The eastern half of the system merged into the Soo Line Railroad on January 1, 1986. The company went through several official names and faced bankruptcy several times in that period. The railroad no longer exists as a separate entity, but much of its trackage continues to be used by its successor and other roads, and is commemorated in buildings like the historic Milwaukee Road Depot in Minneapolis, Minnesota and in railroad hardware still maintained by railfans, such as the Milwaukee Road 261 steam locomotive.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad CMStP&P Ry crew

Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad

Item: 68-C     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. Forged by the Loeffelholz Co.
Pocket worn serif lettering and superb patina.
Nice Milwaukee Road oldie!

History - continued from above

The Milwaukee Road aggressively marketed passenger service through much of its history, maintaining a high quality of service until the end of private intercity passenger operations in 1971. The Milwaukee prided itself on its passenger operations, providing the nation with some of its most innovative and colorful trains. The railroad's home-built equipment was among some of the best passenger equipment ever run on any American railroad. The Milwaukee's reputation for high quality service was the principal reason that UP shifted its service to the Milwaukee Road for its "City" streamliners in 1955.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad CM&St.P R.R. Flag

Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad

Item: 69-C     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. Forged by the Loeffelholz Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.
Given the moniker, "The Milwaukee Road."

History - continued from above

The battle over control of the Northern Pacific Railway and the Chicago-Burlington & Quincy Railroad in 1901 made the Milwaukee Road aware that without its own route to the Pacific it would be at its competitors' mercy The boom in the Pacific Northwest ended around 1910, and the Panama Canal opened in 1914. Traffic on the Milwaukee Road's route to the Pacific came nowhere near the projections but the debt incurred in building it remained. The route choice was questionable; it bypassed several major population centers and passed through areas with limited local traffic potential. In addition, most of the line paralleled that of the Northern Pacific.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad Milwaukee Electric train

Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad

Item: 70-C     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb block lettering and copper patina.

History - continued from above

In 1921 the Milwaukee leased the Chicago-Terre Haute & Southeastern (CTH&SE) and in 1922 acquired the Chicago-Milwaukee & Gary to gain access to the coalfields of southern Indiana via the CTH&SE. Both of those railroads were heavily in debt. The Milwaukee Road entered receivership in 1925. The company emerged from reorganization in 1928 as the Chicago-Milwaukee-St. Paul & Pacific Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad CM&St.P RR Flag

Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul Railroad

Item: 71-C     bagage club car key     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb block lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

The battle over control of the Northern Pacific Railway and the Chicago-Burlington & Quincy Railroad in 1901 made the Milwaukee Road aware that without its own route to the Pacific it would be at its competitors' mercy The boom in the Pacific Northwest ended around 1910, and the Panama Canal opened in 1914. Traffic on the Milwaukee Road's route to the Pacific came nowhere near the projections but the debt incurred in building it remained. The route choice was questionable; it bypassed several major population centers and passed through areas with limited local traffic potential. In addition, most of the line paralleled that of the Northern Pacific.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad CM&StP

Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad

SOLD     Price: $25.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. Adlake forged?
Attractive block lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

The battle over control of the Northern Pacific Railway and the Chicago-Burlington & Quincy Railroad in 1901 made the Milwaukee Road aware that without its own route to the Pacific it would be at its competitors' mercy The boom in the Pacific Northwest ended around 1910, and the Panama Canal opened in 1914. Traffic on the Milwaukee Road's route to the Pacific came nowhere near the projections but the debt incurred in building it remained. The route choice was questionable; it bypassed several major population centers and passed through areas with limited local traffic potential. In addition, most of the line paralleled that of the Northern Pacific.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad CM&StP Ry

Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad

Item: 73-C     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb block lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad CM&St.P R.R. Flag

Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad

Item: 74-C     rip track key     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. Excellent block lettering.
Fine pocket wear and superb patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad Milwaukee train depot, Westby Wisconsin. Circa; 1909

Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad

Item: 75-C     rip track key     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. Forged by the Loeffelholz Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture




Front Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad CM&St.P R.R. Flag

Chicago-Milwaukee & St.Paul & Pacific Railroad

Item: 76-C     rip track key     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. Excellent block lettering.
Fine pocket wear and superb patina.

Click on image to view larger picture




Front Side: Chicago North Shore & St.Paul Railroad Back Side: Chicago North Shore & St.Paul Railroad CNS&St.P engine No.451    CNS R.R. Flag    CNS&St.P

Chicago North Shore & St.Paul Railroad

Item: 77-C     New Listing     Price: $25.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. MofW - Rip Track key?
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

Possible predecessor style key - Waukegan & North Shore Rapid Transit Co.

History

Chartered in 1916, the Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad, often called the North Shore Line, was an interurban railroad line
that operated between Chicago, Illinois, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, until its abandonment in 1963.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Columbus & Newark Route Back Side: Columbus & Newark Route Pennsylvania R.R. Flag     B&O RR Flag

Columbus & Newark Route

Item: 82-C     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Attractive serif lettering.
Superb carmel patina.

History

The rails heading east from Columbus to Newark, Ohio were jointly owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. This 33 mile stretch was a bit like the waist of an hour glass. At the Newark end PRR trains from Steubenville - Pittsburgh and B&O trains from Wheeling - Pittsburgh shared the track. From the west at Columbus PRR trains from Cincinnati, St. Louis and Chicago came together on the Columbus-Newark Sub-Division along with B&O trains from Midland City-Cincinnati.

Click on image to view larger picture




Front Side: Columbus & Newark Route Back Side: Columbus & Newark Route First Union Station-Columbus Ohio, ca: 1851

Columbus & Newark Route

Item: 83-C     Price: $35.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Attractive serif lettering and gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad Back Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad C&NW R.R. Flag

Chicago & North Western Railroad

Item: 86-C     Price: $30.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and gold patina.
Given the moniker, "Cheap and Nothing Wasted."

History

The Chicago and North Western Transportation Company (reporting mark CNW) was a Class I railroad in the Midwestern United States. It was also known as the North Western. The railroad operated more than 5,000 miles (8,000 km) of track as of the turn of the 20th century, and over 12,000 miles (19,000 km) of track in seven states before retrenchment in the late 1970s. Until 1972, when the employees purchased the company, it was named the Chicago and North Western Railway (or Chicago and North Western Railway Company).

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad Back Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad The C&NW passenger depot in 1893    Ogilvie Trans. Center

Chicago & North Western Railroad

Item: 87-C     Price: $35.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Bohannan Co.
Pocket worn block lettering and nice carmel patina.

History - continued from above

The Chicago & North Western Railway was chartered on June 7, 1859. It had purchased the assets of the bankrupt Chicago-St. Paul & Fond du Lac Railroad five days earlier. On February 15, 1865, it officially merged with the Galena & Chicago Union Railroad, which had been chartered on January 16, 1836. Since the Galena & Chicago Union started operating in December 1848, and the Fond du Lac railroad started in March, 1855, the Galena & Chicago Union Railroad is considered to be the origin of the North Western railroad system. The Winona & St. Peter Railroad was added to the network in 1867.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad Back Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad C&NW R.R. Flag

Chicago & North Western Railroad

Item: 88-C     Price: $40.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice stamp marks and gold patina.

History - continued from above

The North Western had owned a majority of the stock of the Chicago-St. Paul-Minneapolis & Omaha Railway (Omaha Road) since 1882. On January 1, 1957 it leased the company, and merged it into the North Western in 1972. The Omaha Road's main line ran from an interchange with the North Western at Elroy, Wisconsin, to the Twin Cities, down to Sioux City, Iowa, and then finally to Omaha, Nebraska.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad Back Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad C&NW's Wood St. yard

Chicago & North Western Railroad

Item: 89-C     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

The North Western acquired several important short railroads during its later years. It finalized acquisition of the Litchfield and Madison Railway on January 1, 1958. The Litchfield and Madison railroad was a 44-mile bridge road from East St. Louis to Litchfield, Illinois. On July 30, 1968, the North Western acquired two former interurbans - the 36-mile Des Moines and Central Iowa Railway (DM&CI), and the 110-mile Fort Dodge, Des Moines and Southern Railway (FDDM&S). The DM&CI gave access to the Firestone plant in Des Moines, Iowa, and the FDDM&S provided access to gypsum mills in Fort Dodge, Iowa.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & North Western Railway Back Side: Chicago & North Western Railway C&NW R.R. Bridge

Chicago & North Western Railway

Item: 90-C     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina. Nice CNW oldie!

History - continued from above

On November 1, 1960, the North Western acquired the rail properties of the 1,500-mile (2,400 km) Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway. In spite of its name, it ran only from Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Peoria, Illinois. This acquisition provided traffic and modern rolling stock, and eliminated competition.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad Back Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad C&NW streamlined Class Hudson

Chicago & North Western Railroad

Item: 91-C     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and two-tone patina.
Another nice CNW oldie!

History - continued from above

In 1985, the CNW Corporation was formed to take over the Chicago and North Western Transportation Company; the employee-owned stock of the Chicago and North Western Transportation Company was transferred to the new CNW Corporation.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad Back Side: Chicago & North Western Railroad C&NW Proviso Yard    C&NW streamlined Class Hudson

Chicago & North Western Railroad

Item: 92-C     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Nice pocket worn serif lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

The Union Pacific Corporation merged UP Rail into the Union Pacific Railroad and then merged the second Chicago and North Western Transportation Company and the Chicago and North Western Railway into the Union Pacific Railroad, the Chicago and North Western system is now part of the Union Pacific Railroad system. A joint UP-CNW subsidiary, Western Railroad Properties, Inc., was also merged into the Union Pacific system in the acquisition.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Back Side: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway C&O R.R. Flag

Chesapeake & Ohio Railway

Item: 95-C     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Slaymaker Co.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina.

History

The Chesapeake & Ohio Railway was a Class I railroad formed in 1869. Led by industrialist C. P. Huntington, it reached from Virginia's capital city
of Richmond to the Ohio River by 1873, where the railroad town (and later city) of Huntington, West Virginia was named for him.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Back Side: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Handley, WV ca. 1975

Chesapeake & Ohio Railway

Item: 96-C     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the F/S Hdw. Co.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

Tapping the coal reserves of West Virginia, the C&O's Peninsula Extension to new coal piers at the harbor of Hampton Roads resulted in the creation of the new City of Newport News. Coal revenues also led the forging of a rail link to the Midwest, eventually reaching Columbus, Cincinnati and Toledo in Ohio and Chicago, Illinois.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Back Side: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway C&O R.R. Flag

Chesapeake & Ohio Railway

Item: 97-C     New Listing     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Nice C&O oldie!
Attractive serif lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

From 1900 to 1920 most of the C&O's lines tapping the rich bituminous coal fields of southern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky were built, and the C&O as it was known throughout the rest of the 20th Century was essentially in place.

In 1910 C&O merged the Chicago, Cincinnati & Louisville Railroad into its system. This line had been built diagonally across the state of Indiana from Cincinnati to Hammond in the preceding decade. This gave the C&O a direct line from Cincinnati to the great railroad hub of Chicago.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Back Side: Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Old meets New

Chesapeake & Ohio Railway

Item: 98-C     New Listing     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.
Scarcer of the two C&O style switch keys.

History - continued from above

By the early 1960s the C&O was headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio. In 1972, under the leadership of Cyrus Eaton, it became part of the Chessie System, along with the Baltimore & Ohio and Western Maryland Railway. The Chessie System was later combined with the Seaboard Coast Line and Louisville and Nashville, both the primary components of the Family Lines System, to become a key portion of CSX Transportation in the 1980s. A substantial portion of Conrail was added in 1999.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Columbus & Greenville Railroad Back Side: Columbus & Greenville Railroad Southern R.R. Flag      IC R.R. Flag

Columbus & Greenville Railroad

Item: 99-C     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and rustic gold patina.

History

The first Columbus & Greenville Railway (reporting mark C&G) was formed by the sale of the Southern Railway operated Southern Railway in Mississippi, to local interests. It continued independent operations until 1972 when it was bought by the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad.

The second Columbus & Greenville Railway (reporting mark CAGY) was founded in 1974 and began operations in 1975 over divested Illinois Central Gulf Railroad trackage across the state of Mississippi. Its terminals, as the name implies, are Columbus and Greenville, Mississippi.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railway Back Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railway CRI&P R.R. Flag

Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railway

Item: 101-C     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Fine pocket wear and attractive yellow-gold patina.
This key stamped "RY" and Rock key below stamped "RR" = nice set.

History

The Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad was a prominent Class I railroad in the midwestern United States, commonly known as the "Rock Island." In 1854 when the line connected the Mississippi to Chicago and the East Coast, the event was marked by a large promotional voyage called the Grand Excursion. In 1856, the line crossed the Government Bridge, the first railroad bridge across the Mississippi, connecting farms in Iowa and beyond to Chicago. By 1900 it was playing a major role in the Midwestern agrarian economy, serving 1700 grain elevators in hundreds of small communities. After 1920, however, it was harder and harder to compete with trucks on newly paved highways in a region that was oversupplied with rail lines.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad CRI&P switch engine 529

Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad

Item: 102-C     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Key listed in the "American Ry's Switch Key Directory."
Superb block lettering and dark patina. This key
stamped "RR" and Rock key above stamped "RY" = nice set.

History - continued from above

In 1847 the Rock Island & La Salle Railroad Company was chartered to build between Rock Island, Illinois, on the Mississippi River, and La Salle, where connections would be made with the Illinois & Michigan Canal to Chicago. Contractor Henry Farnam persuaded the organizers to extend the railroad as far as Chicago to connect with other railroads. The charter was so amended, and the railroad was renamed the Chicago & Rock Island (C&RI). Construction began on October 1851. The first train ran southwest from Chicago to Joliet, 40 miles, on October 10, 1852 powered by 4-4-0 Rocket.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad CRI&P R.R. Flag

Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad

Item: 103-C     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.
Key listed in the "American Ry's Switch Key Directory."


The line's abandonment in 1980 ranks as the longest and most complicated in U.S. railroad history. The company was originally founded in Rock Island, Illinois, and the railroad was popularized in the song "Rock Island Line."

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Rock officials pose with crew.

Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad

Item: 104-C     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and carmel patina.
Another nice Rock oldie!

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad CRI&P R.R. Flag

Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad

Item: 105-C     New Listing     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina. Key has a similar
style bit as a Cedar Rapids & Iowa City key.
Rare bit style Rock key!

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad CRI&P Railroad, Oklahoma's Wewoka Depot

Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad

Item: 106-C     rip track key     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Nice stamp marks and gold patina.
Key bit has the exact same style as CNO&TP key.

Read about the Wewoka Switch History

Click on image to view larger picture

Front Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad CRI&P R.R train

Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad

Item: 107-C     rip track key     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca.mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture

Front Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad CRI&P Ry Paxico, Kansas

Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad

Item: 108-C     Hand Car     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and superb dark patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad CRI&P R.R. Flag

Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad

SOLD     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Steel utility key.
Nice stamp marks.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad CRI&P Ad

Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad

Item: 110-C     scale key    Price: $25.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
No stamp mark - CRI&P scale key.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Rapid Transit Back Side: Chicago Rapid Transit CRT R.R. Flag

Chicago Rapid Transit Railroad

Item: 112-C     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and carmel patina.
Bit type is successor to South-Side-Elevated Key

History

The Chicago Rapid Transit Company (CRT) was a privately owned firm providing rapid transit rail service in Chicago, Illinois and several adjacent communities
between the years 1924 and 1947. The CRT is one of the predecessors of the Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago's present mass transit operator.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Rapid Transit Back Side: Chicago Rapid Transit CTA cars

Chicago Rapid Transit Railroad

Item: 113-C     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and two-tone patina.
Bit type is successor to South-Side-Elevated Key

History - continued from above

The CRT network was entirely at or above grade level until the 1943 opening of the State Street subway, now part of CTA's Red Line. Following World War II and the continuing financial malaise of the privately owned bus, streetcar and elevated/subway operators, both the city government of Chicago and the Illinois legislature favored consolidating the three separate systems into a single, public-owned authority. The assets and operations of the CRT were assumed by the newly established Chicago Transit Authority on October 1, 1947.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Rapid Transit Back Side: Chicago Rapid Transit CRT R.R. Flag

Chicago Rapid Transit Railroad

Item: 114-C     New Listing     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and superb copper patina.
Bit type is successor to South-Side-Elevated Key

History - See 87-C

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Transit Authority Back Side: Chicago Transit Authority CTA R.R. Flag

Chicago Transit Authority Railroad

Item: 115-C     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

History

Chicago Transit Authority, also known as CTA, is the operator of mass transit within the City of Chicago, Illinois and some of its surrounding suburbs, including the trains of the Chicago 'L' and CTA bus service. The CTA is an Illinois independent governmental agency that started operations on October 1, 1947 upon the purchase and combination of the transportation assets of the Chicago Rapid Transit Company and the Chicago Surface Lines streetcar system. In 1952, CTA purchased the assets of the Chicago Motor Coach Company, which was under the control of Yellow Cab Company founder John D. Hertz, resulting in a fully unified system. Today, the CTA is one of the three service boards financially supported by the Regional Transportation Authority.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Transit Authority Back Side: Chicago Transit Authority CTA 4377    CTA passengers

Chicago Transit Authority Railroad

Item: 116-C     New Listing     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and carmel patina.

Click on image to view larger picture




Front Side: CTA-CSL Railroad Back Side: CTA-CSL Railroad CTA 4377    CTA passengers

Chicago Surface Lines & Chicago Transit Authority

Item: 117-C     New Listing     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Old meets new, past meets present.
Chicago interurban. A great set!

Click on image to view larger picture




Front Side: Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railway Back Side: Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railway CStPM&O R.R. Flag

Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railway

Item: 119-C     Omaha style     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Attractive block lettering and two-tone patina.

History

The Chicago-St. Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railway or Omaha Road was a railroad in the U.S. states of Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and South Dakota. It was incorporated in 1880 as a consolidation of the Chicago-St. Paul & Minneapolis Railway and the North Wisconsin Railway. The Chicago & North Western Railway gained control in 1882. The C&NW leased the Omaha Road in 1957 and merged the company into itself in 1972.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad Back Side: Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad Mechanical employees  CMSt.PM&O RR

Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad

Item: 120-C     Omaha style     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad Back Side: Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad

Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad

Item: 121-C     New Listing     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged.
Nice serif lettering and gold patina.
Eastern Division style bit.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad Back Side: Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad CMSt.PM&O R.R.

Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad

Item: 122-C     western division     Price: $90.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad Back Side: Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad CStPM&O R.R. Flag

Chicago-St.Paul Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad

Item: 123-C     New Listing    Price: $80.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Western Division.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad Back Side: Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad CSS&SB R.R. Flag     CSS&SB R.R. Flag>

Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad

Item: 125-C     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb stamp marks and gold patina.
Predecessor to CSS R.R below.

History

The Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad, also known as the South Shore Line, is a Class III freight railroad operating between Chicago, Illinois, and South Bend, Indiana. The railroad serves as a link between Class I railroads and local industries in northeast Illinois and northwest Indiana. It built the South Shore Line electric interurban and operated it until 1990, when it transferred it to the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District. The railroad is owned by the Anacostia and Pacific Company.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago South Shore Railroad Back Side: Chicago South Shore Railroad Eastbound CSS train

Chicago South Shore Railroad

Item: 126-C     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice pocket worn block lettering. Superb gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago Terminal Transfer Railroad Back Side: Chicago Terminal Transfer Railroad CTT R.R. Flag

Chicago Terminal Transfer Railroad

Item: 128-C     Price: $100.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb stamp marks and gold patina.
In 1910, the B&O (B&O-CT- key) absorbed this line
and continued to use the CTT's key style. A beauty!

History

In May of 1887, a new company, the Chicago Terminal Transfer merged the Chicago & Calumet Terminal. In June, a subsidiary of the Northern Pacific Railroad. the Chicago & Calumet Terminal Railway (C&CT) consolidated several terminal railroads in the Chicago area with lines running between the Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway at McCook, Illinois to the south and south-east to Hammond, Indiana and a connection with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.

On January 6, 1910 the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad was created to purchase the CTT at foreclosure, giving the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and the B&OCT, control of both the terminal railway systems, the CTT and C&CT, as well as Grand Central Station. 1931 - There were, at this time, 32 intercity passenger train movements inbound and outbound from the Grand Central station on the B&OCT, including 12 on the B&O, 12 on the Pere Marquette, and 4 each on the Soo Line and Chicago Great Western. The B&OCT was also hauling many freight carloads on its transfer lines from Franklin Park, to the Indiana border and to Chicago Heights, and it also served many industrial sites. In 1960 the Grand Central traffic had diminished to 14 movements, 6 on the B&O, 6 on the C&O (former Pere Marquette) and 2 on the Soo Line. The CGW had given up passenger service in 1956. In 1969 Grand Central Station is closed. A "fallen flag," in 1986 the B&O (B&OCT) merged into CSXT.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Central Vermont Railroad Back Side: Central Vermont Railroad CV R.R. Flag

Central Vermont Railroad

Item: 129-C     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.

History

The Central Vermont Railroad traces it's roots way back to October 31, 1843, when the Vermont Central Railroad was chartered. Through the CV's early years the railroad aquired other roads like the Stanstead-Shefford & Chambly Railroad, Ogdensburg & Lake Champlain Railroad to name a few. Also, in the CV's early years, the Consolidated Railway was formed on June 30, 1884, to consolidate the Central Vermont and Vermont & Canada and to settle litigation between the two companies. A new Central Vermont Railroad was formed on July 1, 1884 to take over from the Consolidated Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Central Vermont Railroad Back Side: Central Vermont Railroad CV engine No.707

Central Vermont Railroad

Item: 130-C     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and dark patina.

History - continued from above

On January 1, 1871, the Vermont Central leased the Rutland Railroad system, giving it routes from Burlington to Bellows Falls and Chatham, New York.
The New London Northern Railroad was leased on December 1, 1871. On November 2, 1872 the name was changed to the Central Vermont Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Central Vermont Railroad Back Side: Central Vermont Railroad CV wood sided caboose

Central Vermont Railroad

Item: 131-C     New Listing     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad C&WI R.R. Flag

Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad

Item: 133-C     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Super low serial number.
Handsome tapered barrel. Superb serif lettering and patina.
Very early style cut.

History

The Chicago and Western Indiana Railroad was the owner of Dearborn Station in Chicago and the trackage leading to it. It was owned equally by five of the railroads
using it to reach the terminal, and kept those companies from needing their own lines into the city. It is now a subsidiary of the Union Pacific Corporation.

The C&WI was chartered June 5, 1879, and soon opened a line in May 1880, from Dolton, where the Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad merged with the Columbus-Chicago & Indiana Central Railway, north to Dearborn Station on the south side of the Chicago Loop. The alignment ran north from Dolton to the crossing of the Illinois Central Railroad just south of its junction with the Michigan Central Railroad at Kensington, then continued northwest and north, eventually coming along the west side of the Pittsburgh-Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway (PRR) at 47th Street. Then it continued north to cross the PFW&C and head northeast at Alton Junction, crossing the St. Charles Air Line Railroad and Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railway before turning back north the rest of the way to Dearborn Station.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad C&WI 52nd St. coach yard

Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad

Item: 134-C     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Low serial number. Excellent gold patina.

History - continued from above

Soon after, the Chicago & Western Indiana Belt Railway and South Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad were merged into the C&WI on January 26, 1882. Several more lines were built using their charters; a branch from the main line at 74th Street, west and north to the Chicago-Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway at Cragin, a branch from 87th Street east to various connections at South Chicago, and a branch of that line from Pullman Junction south and southeast, parallel to and east of the New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railway (NKP), to just shy of State Line Junction in Hammond, Indiana. At Hammond two more connections were made; the Chicago-Indianapolis & Louisville Railway (Monon) and the Chicago & Atlantic Railway (Erie). Those two companies also acquired shares in the C&WI, bringing the total to five. The State Line & Indiana City Railroad later gave the Wabash-St. Louis & Pacific Railway a second access point to the C&WI at Hammond, and a sixth railroad; the Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway used Dearborn Station, but used its own line on the east side of the C&EI from Alton Junction to the station.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad C&WI 14th St. coach yard

Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad

Item: 135-C     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Nice block lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

Centralized traffic control was introduced in 1973, combining 40th Street and 47th Street, later 59th Street and 74th Street, a four-tower combination was operated by the train dispatcher located at 47th Street tower after their relocation from Dearborn station. The C&WI also had their own police department, and their officers were designated special agents and police-certified through the Illinois Department of Law Enforcement. The C&WI RR sold all their locomotives, and were one of the first railroads in the late 1940s to completely use diesel engines, and later their work force was reduced to approximately 130 employees throughout the 1980's and 1990's.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: C&WI R.R. Back Side: C&WI R.R. Chicago's Englewood Station    CWI's Englewood Union Station

Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad

Item: 136-C     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice carmel patina and serif lettering.
Different style cut then the C&WI keys listed above.


Personal Note: I hired out on the N&W Railroad in 1974, we operated trains on this line every day. Not once did I ever see a C&WI switch crew or train operating on their own railroad, but I did speak to the C&WI dispatchers via telegraph phone many times. Because of the latest technology in "Centralize Traffic Control," I did realize, I was witnessing the elimination of jobs. Eventually, the switch tenders were eliminated and dispatchers centralized. In later years, the railroads worked on the unions to reduce switch crew sizes.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad C&WI Alco RS-1 engine

Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad

Item: 137-C     Price: $35.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Different style cut then the C&WI keys listed above.

Click on image to view larger picture




Front Side: Chicago & Grand Trunk Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Grand Trunk Railroad GT R.R. Flag

Chicago & Grand Trunk Railroad

Item: 138-C     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Nice pocket worn block lettering and gold patina.

History

The 335.27 mile Chicago & Grand Trunk Railway (later part of the Grand Trunk Western Railway), a subsidiary of the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada, runs from Chicago to the Canadian border at Port Huron, Michigan, where it connects with the Grand Trunk Railway to Toronto and Montreal. There were additional lines between Port Huron and Detroit and between Port Huron and Toledo - one of these, running 60 miles from Port Huron to Detroit, was the first part of the system to open in October 1860.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago & Grand Trunk Railroad Back Side: Chicago & Grand Trunk Railroad GTW Durand, MI

Chicago & Grand Trunk Railroad

Item: 139-C     New Listing     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Tapered barrel.
Nice two-tone patina.


History - continued from above

When the line first opened the youthful Thomas Edison of Port Huron obtained permission to sell newspapers and confectionery on the trains, and he soon built up a profitable business that provided the funds to launch his career as an inventor. At first the Grand Trunk Railway relied partly on other companies' lines for through service to Chicago, and it was only in 1880 that they had a complete main line from Port Huron to Chicago.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati & Indianapolis Railroad Back Side: Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati & Indianapolis Railroad CCC&I R.R. Flag

Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati & Indianapolis Railroad

Item: 140-C     Price: $275.00

Remarks: Operated from 1868-89. Forged by the Bohannan Co.
Handsome accent ring and two-tone patina. A very rare key.
Picked up by the "Big 4." At least 125 years old!

History

The CC&C was chartered in 1836. In the 1840s, construction from Cleveland through Galion and Delaware to Columbus was begun. The road entered Columbus from the north, running east and parallel to Fourth Street, then swinging southwestward to enter the passenger depot of the Columbus & Xenia Railroad. On February 21, 1851 a grand excursion train with 425 passengers took members of the state and city government to Cleveland, returning them to Columbus after a day's layover. Regular traffic was begun in April 1851, a full year after service began on the C&X. In 1868 the CC&C was merged with the Bellefountaine Railroad to form the Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati & Indianapolis Railway. At that time the railroad still hadn't reached Cincinnati, and it was up to the CCC&I to finish the job.

The Cleveland-Columbus & Cincinnati Railroad was the second railroad to enter Columbus, Ohio. It eventually became a part of the New York Central Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Cleveland-Southwestern & Columbus Railroad Back Side: Cleveland-Southwestern & Columbus Railroad CS&C RR Flag

Cleveland-Southwestern & Columbus Railroad

Item: 142-C     Price: $295.00

Remarks: Operated 1907-1931. Gotta love the serial #111.
Handsome short tapered barrel. Superb serif lettering.
A very rare key.

History

The Cleveland-Southwestern & Columbus, the 2nd-largest interurban in the state at one time, connected Cleveland with Columbus to the south and Norwalk to the west. It originally was chartered in 1876 as a horsecar line known as the Cleveland & Berea Street Railway Co. but it did not exercise its full franchise privileges. The line was rechartered by the Pomeroy family in 1891 as an electric-powered railway running from Cleveland to Berea and began operation in 1895. Later that year, the Pomeroys formed a partnership with the Cleveland banking firm of M. J. Mandelbaum & Co in order to finance the line's extension to Elyria. The Pomeroy-Mandelbaum syndicate continued purchasing and operating other short rail lines, and in 1903 their holdings were merged into the Cleveland & Southwestern Traction Co., which provided service as far as Norwalk and Wooster. Southern routes to Bucyrus and Columbus were acquired and on 4 March 1907 the 225-mile Cleveland-Southwestern & Columbus Railway was chartered. Known for its distinctive dark-green cars, the railway also operated several amusement parks along its routes to draw riders, including Puritas Springs Park in Cleveland.

The CS&C went into receivership in 1922. Although it returned a profit in 1923 after abandoning its Norwalk-Oberlin run, continued losses led to further abandonments in 1926 and the replacement of rail service with buses. After that, the line became known as the Southwestern. The Southwestern made transportation history in 1928 by offering the first coordinated rail-air service package to Detroit in conjunction with Stout Air Services, Inc. Passengers purchased a through ticket to Detroit, and the CS&C dropped off riders at the Cleveland Airport for the flight to their destination. Revenues continued to plunge however, and in 1929 the line went into receivership again and made its final trip on 28 Feb. 1931. Some of Southwestern's bus operations were taken over by the North Olmsted Municipal Bus line.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Cornwall Railroad Back Side: Cornwall Railroad Cornwall R.R. Flag

Cornwall Railroad

Item: 143-C     New Listing     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Slaymaker forged?
Superb serif lettering and copper patina.
Key listed in the "American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History

The first railroad to reach Cornwall was the North Lebanon Railroad. It was incorporated in 1850 by George Dawson Coleman and William Coleman and opened in 1855. The railroad extended for about six miles from the ore banks in Cornwall to the Union Canal in Lebanon City. Originally ore laden carts were pulled by teams of mules. This type of operation only lasted seven months until a locomotive was purchased, capable of pulling the same weight as a team of one hundred mules. In 1870, the name was changed to the Cornwall Railroad. In 1857 the Lebanon Valley Railroad reached Lebanon and built an interchange with the North Lebanon RR there (the Lebanon Valley Railroad quickly became part of the Phildelphia & Reading Railroad).

The Cornwall Railroad remained a very prosperous line well up through the 1950's and into the early 1960's. In just the year of 1949 alone, the railroad hauled 1,448,000 tons of iron ore, significantly more than the annual revenue of 51,068 tons in the 1850's. In 1950, the line replaced its fleet of steamers with much more efficient diesel-electric locomotives. However, in 1962 Bethlehem Steel created a new concentrator plant in Rexmont. For many years prior to this, raw ore was shipped up to Lebanon to be processed there at the original concentrator. The reduction in revenue due to shipping only processed ore devastated the Cornwall Railroad. It was only two years later in 1964 that the Reading Company acquired the ailing Cornwall.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-West Pullman & Southern Railroad Back Side: Chicago-West Pullman & Southern Railroad CWP&S RR Flag

Chicago-West Pullman & Southern Railroad

Item: 145-C     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Adlake forged.
Superb block lettering and natural gold patina.
Different style bit than CWPS key below.

History

Now part of the Chicago Rail Link, Chicago West Pullman traces its history to the 1880's and the growth of Chicago industry. Cyrus McCormick, having founded International Harvester, wanted to grow his business by also controlling his suppliers. High grade Steel was vital to the production of the "reaper," Harvester's primary product.

As a part of that strategy, McCormick gained control of the predecessor of Wisconsin Steel, located in South Chicago. The Chicago, West Pullman & Southern Railroad was founded by McCormick, to transport steel between Wisconsin Steel and Harvester's plants. Any remaining steel production was sold to McCormick's good friend, George Pullman, who ran the huge Pullman Works on Chicago's South Side. A reliable and controllable Railroad was needed to economically provide timely deliveries, so the Chicago West Pullman & Southern Railroad was born and built to serve these two 19th century giants.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Chicago-West Pullman & Southern Railroad Back Side: Chicago-West Pullman & Southern Railroad Tales of Wells Fargo    Tales of Wells Fargo

Chicago-West Pullman & Southern Railroad

Item: 146-C     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Adlake forged.
Handsome block lettering and natural gold patina.
Different style bit than CWPS key above.

History - continued from above

In 1983, CWP was formed and bought the Chicago West Pullman & Southern from the bankrupt estate of Wisconsin Steel, which had been spun off by Harvester and left to flounder. CWP invested in members of railroad management, brought them in as shareholders and went on to acquire six short-line and medium sized railroads.

After operating these lines for several years, we eventually combined them with another operator and have maintained various investments in a variety of public and private operators of and suppliers to railroads, barges, trucking and logistics/supply chain management companies.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Cincinnati-New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railway Back Side: Cincinnati-New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railway CNO&TP R.R. Flag

Cincinnati-New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railroad

Item: 147-C     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Elongated barrel. Superb block lettering and patina.

History

The Cincinnati-New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railway (CNO&TP); is a railroad that runs from Cincinnati, Ohio, south to Chattanooga, Tennessee, forming part of the Norfolk Southern Railway system. The rail line that it operates, the Cincinnati Southern Railway, constructed to Chattanooga in 1880, is owned by the City of Cincinnati and is leased to the CNO&TP under a long-term agreement. It is the only such long-distance railway owned by a municipality in the United States. The CNO&TP's lease of the Cincinnati Southern Railway is currently set to expire in 2026, with an option for a 25-year renewal. The agreement is governed by the Trustees of the Cincinnati Southern Railway, who are appointed by the Mayor of the City of Cincinnati.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Cincinnati-New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railway Back Side: Cincinnati-New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railway CNO&TP 2-8-0

Cincinnati-New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railroad

Item: 148-C     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and carmel patina.
Different style cut then CNO&TP key above.
Key bit is exact same style as CRI&P RT key.
One of my favorites!

History - continued from above

The construction of the railway was spurred by a shift of Ohio River shipping, at the time an important economic engine in Cincinnati, to the nascent railroad industry. Fearful of losing further shipping traffic (and its commensurate employment and tax revenue), the City recognized the need to remain competitive by developing its own railroad infrastructure. Forbidden by the Ohio Constitution from forming a partnership with a stock corporation in such an endeavor, the City took upon itself the building of the railway, and city voters approved $10 million in municipal bonds in 1869 to begin construction.

The Cincinnati-New Orleans & Texas Pacific is operated by Norfolk Southern as part of the Central Division. Between Cincinnati and Somerset the line is under control of the North End Dispatcher, Knoxville, Tennessee. More than 50 trains a day can be seen on the CNO&TP, with the heaviest concentration between Danville and Harriman, Tennessee. Quite a bit of the traffic is intermodal and automotive. General manifests, local freights, grain, coal, and other bulk commodities make up the rest of the traffic.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Cumberland Valley & Waynesboro Railroad Back Side: Cumberland Valley & Waynesboro Railroad PRR Flag

Cumberland Valley & Waynesboro Railroad

Item: 149-C     Price: $225.00

Remarks: Operated 1901-1906. Handsome ring tapered barrel.
Superb serif lettering and two-tone patina.
115 years old! A very rare key.

History

The Mont Alto Railroad was a railroad in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, originally built to connect the blast furnaces of the Mont Alto Iron Company to the Cumberland Valley Railroad. It was later extended south to reach Waynesboro.

Incorporated as the Scotland and Mont Alto Railroad on May 3, 1864, it was proposed to run from the Cumberland Valley Railroad near Scotland to the iron company's furnaces near Mont Alto. Renamed the Mont Alto Rail Road on November 22, 1871, it opened from Chambersburg to Mont Alto in October 1872.

On April 27, 1901, the Mont Alto Rail Road was sold at foreclosure, and reorganized on June 7, 1901 as the Cumberland Valley and Waynesboro Railroad. Mont Alto Park was turned over to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1902. The new company was sold to the Cumberland Valley Rail Road on June 30, 1906

The Cumberland Valley was itself merged into the Pennsylvania Railroad on 1919; the bulk of the Cumberland Valley & Waynesboro became the Waynesboro Branch, and the spur from Ledy to Mont Alto Park the Mont Alto Park Track. The PRR List of Stations and Sidings from 1923 reveals a mostly rural branch, with little industry online except for sand mining at Pond Bank and manufacturing in the town of Waynesboro.

The Mont Alto Park spur was the first part to be dismantled; then in 1972, the entire railroad from Chambersburg to Waynesboro was abandoned by Penn Central. After a brief revival of service in 1975, it was permanently abandoned in 1976 on the formation of Conrail.

Click on image to view larger picture



Dates quoted for keys are approximate dates. Railroad switch keys initials (reporting mark) are assumed to be correct and accurate.
Comments on any railroad initials origin, including (typos), are welcome. Last update 08/20/2018

Top

contact webmaster