Canadian National Railroad, Chicago, IL

Contact RRT | Misc. | Locks | Keys | Home | Lanterns | Picture Gallery | Payment | Fun Facts

"a website for the railroad enthusiast"


All Key Sales are Final
Note: When pictures are enlarged, surface scratches, nicks, dents, etc. on keys, also seem larger.
Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern Railroad Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern Railroad CP R.R. Flag

Dakota, Minnesota & Eastern Railroad

Item: 4-D     New Listing     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. late 1900s
Keyline forged. CP owned.
Nice stamp marks and two-tone patina.
Currently, not too many in circulation.

History

The Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern Railroad (reporting mark DME) is a wholly owned U.S. subsidiary of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Before its purchase, it was the largest Class II railroad in the United States, operating across South Dakota and southern Minnesota in the Northern Plains of the United States. Portions of the railroad also extended into Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois. It interchanged with all seven U.S. Class I railroads.

The DM&E began operations on September 5, 1986, over trackage spun off from the Chicago and North Western Transportation Company in South Dakota and Minnesota. The DM&E purchased the assets of I&M Rail Link railroad in 2002, renaming it Iowa, Chicago and Eastern Railroad.

In September 2007 it was announced that Canadian Pacific Railway would acquire the DM&E upon approval by the Surface Transportation Board of the US Department of Transportation. The STB announced its approval of the purchase plan on September 30, 2008

Click on image to view larger picture



Dardanelle & Russellville Railroad Dardanelle & Russellville Railroad Comedian Groucho Marx

Dardanelle & Russellville Railroad

Item: 7-D     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb stamp marks and patina.
Double digit serial #

History

The line was initially chartered as the Dardanelle & Russellville Railway and train operations began in August 1883. After undergoing reorganization in 1900, operations continued as the Dardanelle & Russellville Railroad. When originally constructed, the railroad carried cotton and other agricultural products. The predominant traffic shifted to coal by 1900, thanks to extensive semi-anthracite coal production along the railroad. The D&R was also a leader in the trend for railroads to branch into other transportation modes, owning a highway subsidiary from 1919-1960. The highway subsidiary, Dardanelle Transfer Company, operated both bus and truck service over an expanded territory much larger than was served by the railroad itself. The current DR operates a 4.8 mile line in Arkansas from Russellville (where it interchanges with Union Pacific) to a point beside the Arkansas River, across from Dardanelle, Arkansas.

Click on image to view larger picture



Delaware & Hudson Railroad Delaware & Hudson Railroad D&H R.R. Flag

Delaware & Hudson Railroad

Item: 10-D     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. post 1918
Forged by the Fraim Co.
Nice stamp marks and carmel patina.
Given the moniker, "Delay and Hesitate."

History

Nicknamed "The Bridge Line to New England and Canada," the D&H helped connect New York with Montreal, Quebec and New England. The D&H roots go way back to 1823. In 1829, D&H purchased four locomotives built in England. One of them, the Stourbridge Lion, was the first steam locomotive to run on rails in America, but proved too heavy for D&H's wood track.The four locomotives were set aside and gradually deteriorated. Similar to the B&O's situation, changing times brought hardships to the railroad in the 1960's and 70's. Talk about a deal; the D&H reached its nadir on January 4, 1984 when it was purchased by Timothy Mellon's Guilford Transportation Industries (GTI), from Norfolk & Western Railroad for just $500,000.

Click on image to view larger picture



Delaware Otsego System Railroad Delaware Otsego System Railroad DOS R.R. Flag

Delaware Otsego System

Item: 12-D     Price: $35.00

Remarks: ca. late 1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.
Block lettering and nice gold patina.

History

The Delaware Otsego Corporation (DO) is an American railway holding company which owns the subsidiary New York-Susquehanna & Western Railway as well as other, smaller branch line railroads, collectively known as the DO System. It is headquartered in Cooperstown, New York in Otsego County. Once known for operating a successful family of short line railroads throughout New York and New Jersey, the only remaining active operation is the New York-Susquehanna & Western and its leased lines now known as the Central New York Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Des Moines Railway Des Moines Railway Des Moines St. Ry

Des Moines Railway

Item: 15-D     Interurban Line     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900s
Superb serif stamp marks and copper-gold patina.

History

Horse drawn passenger vehicles appeared in the larger cities in the early 19th century. However, the poor condition of the streets meant a slow bumpy ride, or the prospect of becoming mired in the mud. Iron tracks were built to help alleviate this problem, reducing the number of horses needed and permitting a somewhat smoother and faster ride. Speeds of four to six miles per hour were possible, hardly more thean the pace of walking. A substantial part of the total costs was that of the horse, often priced at $100 or more and because they were usually limited to 4-6 hours of work, several teams were necessary. Often, the costs of the horses was greater than the average cost of $750 for the car. It was estimated, that 40% of the total investment was in the horses and stable.

The capital of Iowa had a population of about 10,000 people at the close of the Civil War. Dr. M. P. Turner, Aho had operated toll bridges over the DesMoines River until tolls were abolished by the city council, received the first franchise for a narrow gauge horsecar line to run from the Polk County Courthouse to the foot of Capitol Hill. In 1878, rails were laid on Walnut Street and ten years later, a line was opened on Fourth Street. Electric power was introduced by the Broad Gauge Railway Company, organized by Messrs. Van Ginkel, Teachout and Weber in 1886, to operate on Locust Street and Grand Avenue. In 1889, Jefferson Polk, an associate of Turner, acquired control of the Independent lines and consolidated them into the Des MoInes Street Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad DL&W R.R. Flag

Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad

Item: 17-D     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. 1879-1917
Forged by the E.T. Fraim Co.
Superb serif stamp marks and carmel patina.
Given the moniker, "Delay, Linger and Wait."

History

The Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad Company (DL&W or Lackawanna Railroad) was a U.S. Class 1 railroad that connected Buffalo, New York, and Hoboken, New Jersey, a distance of about 400 miles. Incorporated in 1853, the DL&W was profitable during the first two decades of the twentieth century, but its margins were gradually hurt by declining traffic in coal, competition from trucks, and high New Jersey taxes. In 1960, the DL&W merged with rival Erie Railroad to form the Erie Lackawanna Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad DL&W R.R yard

Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad

Item: 18-D     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. post 1918
Forged by the Fraim Co.
Superb serif stamp marks and gold patina.

History - continued from above

Incorporated in Pennsylvania in 1853 primarily for the purpose of providing a connection between the anthracite coal fields of Pennsylvania's Coal Region and the large markets for coal in New York City. The railroad gradually expanded both East and West, eventually linking Buffalo with New York City.

Click on image to view larger picture



Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad Inspection locomotive    Inspection locomotive

Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad

Item: 19-D     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800s
Forged by the Romer Co.
Superb serif stamp marks and two-tone patina.
Well preserved beauty!

History - continued from above

The DL&W ran trains from its Hoboken Terminal, its gateway to the New York City market, to its Scranton, Binghamton, Syracuse, Oswego, and Buffalo stations and to Utica Union Station.

Click on image to view larger picture



Detroit-Grand Haven & Milwaukee Railway Detroit-Grand Haven & Milwaukee Railway DGH&M R.R. Flag

Detroit-Grand Haven & Milwaukee Railway

Item: 22-D     Price: $225.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800s
Forged by the Adams & Westlake Co.
Early A&W hex stamp = 1st series.
Superb stamp marks and gold patina.

History

The Detroit-Grand Haven & Milwaukee Railway is a defunct railroad which operated in the US state of Michigan during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Itself the product of several consolidations in the 1870s, it became part of the Grand Trunk Western Railroad in 1928.

The DGH&M was formed from the ruin of Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad, a successor road to the Detroit and Pontiac Railroad, one of the first roads organized in the state of Michigan. The Great Western Railway, a Canadian company, had taken financial control of the D&M in 1860 after it defaulted on debt payments. The D&M entered receivership in 1875; in 1878 Great Western purchased it outright and refinanced the debts. The reorganized company bore the name Detroit, Grand Haven & Milwaukee Railway. Its Grand Rapids, Michigan station was located at the corner of Plainfield and East Leonard.

Click on image to view larger picture



Detroit-Lansing & Northern Railroad Detroit-Lansing & Northern Railroad PM R.R. Flag

Detroit-Lansing & Northern Railroad

Item: 24-D     Price: $125.00

Remarks: Chartered in 1876.
Attractive serif stamp marks and gold patina.
A relic!

History

The Detroit-Lansing & Northern Railroad (DL&N) is a defunct railroad which was formed on December 27, 1876 as a reorganization of the foreclosed Detroit-Lansing & Lake Michigan Railroad. The segment of its main line from Detroit to Lansing became an important component of the Pere Marquette Railroad, organized in 1900, and is still in use by CSX.

Click on image to view larger picture



Detroit & Toledo Shore Line Railroad Detroit & Toledo Shore Line Railroad D&TSL R.R. Flag

Detroit & Toledo Shore Line Railroad

Item: 26-D     Price: $175.00

Remarks: D&TSL was formed in 1898.
Superb serif stamp marks and gold patina.
Key most likely from the year 1898-99.
A beauty!

History

The Detroit and Toledo Shore Line Railroad (reporting mark DTS) is a historic railroad that operated in northwestern Ohio and southeastern Michigan. The D&TSL was originally incorporated as the Toledo & Ottawa Beach Railway in Ohio and the Pleasant Bay Railway in Michigan. In March 1899 the two companies conveyed all their property to a new company incorporated under the Michigan law as the Detroit & Toledo Shore Line.

The D&TSL operated 46.98 miles of line between Toledo, Ohio, and Detroit, Michigan, a bridge route connecting the Motor City with the rail gateway of Toledo. Prior to the 1960s mergers resulting in Penn Central Transportation and the Norfolk and Western Railway, the link between these two cities was vitally important to the independent railroads in the area, particularly the GTW and the Nickel Plate. In 1960 it reported 243 million net ton-miles of revenue freight.

Click on image to view larger picture



Detroit & Toledo Shore Line Railroad Detroit & Toledo Shore Line Railroad D&TSL GP7 Bicentennial

Detroit & Toledo Shore Line Railroad

Item: 27-D     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. mid-1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.

History - continued from above

It operated a multi-track mainline connecting Detroit, Michigan and Toledo, Ohio, serving several large industries. The main line between the two cities opened in 1903. The Grand Trunk Western Railway (GTW) and the Toledo, St. Louis and Western Railroad (the "Clover Leaf") co-owned the railroad from 1902-1923. The TStL&W ownership was transferred to its successor the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad (the "Nickel Plate Road") in 1923 and then to the Norfolk and Western Railway (N&W) in 1964.

The GTW purchased the N&W's interest in the DTS in 1981. At that time the DTS was dissolved and merged into the GTW. Today, a mostly single track section with limited double track and passing sidings of the former mainline continues as the CN/GTW Shore Line Subdivision.

Click on image to view larger picture



Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad D&RG R.R. Flag

Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad

Item: 31-D     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. mid-1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice stamp marks and gold patina.

History

The railroad started as a 3 ft. narrow gauge line running south from Denver, Colorado in 1870. It served mainly as a transcontinental bridge line between Denver, and Salt Lake City, Utah. The Rio Grande was the epitome of mountain railroading, with a motto of "Through the Rockies", not around them and later "Main line through the Rockies", both referring to the Rocky Mountains. The D&RGW operated the highest mainline rail line in the United States, over the 10,240 feet Tennessee Pass in Colorado, and the famed routes through the Moffat Tunnel and the Royal Gorge. At its height, around 1890, the D&RG had the largest operating narrow gauge railroad network in North America. Known for its independence, the D&RGW operated the last private intercity passenger train in the United States, the "Rio Grande Zephyr."

Click on image to view larger picture



Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad How the West was Won

Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad

Item: 32-D    Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid-1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.

History - continued from above

In 1988, the Rio Grande's parent corporation, Rio Grande Industries, purchased Southern Pacific Transportation Company and as the result of a merger, the larger Southern Pacific Railroad name was chosen for identity. Today, most former D&RGW main lines are owned and operated by the Union Pacific Railroad; several branch lines are now operated as heritage railways by various companies.

Click on image to view larger picture



Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad D&RG R.R. Flag

Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad

Item: 33-D     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid-1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.

Click on image to view larger picture




Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad D&RGW observation car    Rio Grande train ca. 1868

Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad

Item: 34-D     Water Service Key     Price: $145.00

Remarks:ca. 1904-21
Forged by the S.R. Slaymaker Co.
Superb serif stamp marks and gold patina.
A rare 1!

Click on image to view larger picture




Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Denver & Rio Grande Railroad D&RG R.R. Flag

Denver & Rio Grande Railroad

Item: 35-D     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800s-early 1900s
Forged by the Adams & Westlake Co.
Nice pocket worn lettering and patina.
Early Rio Grande key, no "W."

Click on image to view larger picture



Denver & Salt Lake Railroad Denver & Salt Lake Railroad D&SL R.R. Flag

Denver & Salt Lake Railroad

Item: 37-D     Price: $150.00

Remarks: ca. mid-1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive stamp marks and gold patina.
A hard key to find!

History

The Denver-Northwestern & Pacific Railway was a U.S. railroad company in Colorado. The company had numerous reorganizations throughout its financially troubled history, and later had the official names of the Denver & Salt Lake Railroad, and finally the Denver & Salt Lake Railway (reporting mark D&SL). By the time the company was acquired by the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad it was colloquially known as the Moffat Tunnel Route. The portions still in use today are known as the Moffat Tunnel Subdivision of Union Pacific Railroad's Central Corridor.

Click on image to view larger picture



Denver & Intermountain Railroad Denver & Intermountain Railroad D&IM interurban car #25

Denver & Intermountain Railroad

Item: 39-D     Interurban Line     Price: $195.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900s
Superb serif stamp marks and gold patina.
Very nice trolley key. A rare 1!

History

The Denver & Intermountain Railway was organized by Samuel Newhouse on May 19, 1904 and chartered on May 20, 1904. The D&IM purchased the Denver, Lakewood & Golden Railway at foreclosure sale for $175,000.00 and took over operation of the road on June 1, 1904.

Inbound Golden cars from Denver arrived going north on Jackson Street. At the intersection of 13th and Jackson Streets, the line divided into two tracks and turned west following private right-of-way on the north side of 13th Street to Washington Avenue. After unloading passengers and parcels, the cars changed trolley poles and left for Denver on the same track. Sometime referred to as the Denver & Interurban Railway. The last passenger run on this line ran June 4, 1950, and freight service ended on March 16, 1953.

Click on image to view larger picture



Detroit Terminal Railroad Detroit Terminal Railroad DT R.R. Flag

Detroit Terminal Railroad

Item: 42-D     New Listing     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. mid-1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.
Very nice stamp marks and carmel patina.

History

Detroit Terminal Railroad Company was incorporated in the State of Michigan, United States of America, on December 7, 1905 to own railroad track forming a semi-circle around the City of Detroit. It existed as a railroad until it was merged into its parent company, Consolidated Rail Corp., on May 31, 1984.

When Ford completed its huge River Rouge Complex in Dearborn, Michigan Detroit Terminal Railroad's western extension was completed to service it providing Ford with the benefits of having a terminal railroad to connect with all the other railroads in Detroit for routing its freight. The interest of Michigan Central, Grand Trunk Western and Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railroads in owning the Detroit Terminal Railroad was not only for accessing newly developed industrial sites located outside of downtown Detroit for industrial development serviced by rail but to also allow the better interchanging of freight cars between the three owner railroads and with all the other railroads in Detroit.

Click on image to view larger picture



Detroit Terminal Railroad Detroit Terminal Railroad DT engine #105

Detroit Terminal Railroad

Item: 43-D     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid-1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.

History - continued from above

The main freight yard of the Detroit Terminal was its Davison Yard located in northern Detroit at Davison and Mound Roads located about in the middle of the belt line's route. All freight cars came and went through Davison Yard where they were classified for the various trains to take the freight cars to the on-line industries or the connecting railroads for interchange.

Today Conrail (Shared Assets) still runs daily trains over what was the east end of the Detroit Terminal Railroad to service a Jeep manufacturing plant owned by Chrysler Group LLC. On May 31, 1984, Conrail legally merged Detroit Terminal Railroad into itself, officially ending 79 years of continuous operation by Detroit's only terminal railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Detroit-Toledo & Ironton Railroad Detroit-Toledo & Ironton Railroad DT&I R.R. Flag

Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad

Item: 46-D     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb stamp marks and gold patina.
Given the moniker, "Darn Tired and Independent."

History

In 1901, the merger of the Detroit & Lima Northern Railway and the Ohio Southern Railway formed the Detroit Southern Railroad. This company was purchased at foreclosure on May 1, 1905 by Harry B. Hollins & Company of New York, which reincorporated it in the state of Michigan under the name of the Detroit-Toledo & Ironton Railway.

The line went bankrupt in 1908, but remained solvent until it was purchased by Henry Ford in 1920. Ford recognized the strategic importance of the line to his automobile business as the line left Dearborn, Michigan and connected with all of the major east-west rail lines in the Midwest. This gave Ford direct control over shipments of raw materials and finished goods to and from his factories in Dearborn. The line thrived and saw numerous improvements under Ford's management. However, Ford sold the line in 1929 to the Pennsylvania Railroad after becoming disgusted with interference and over regulation from the Interstate Commerce Commission.

Click on image to view larger picture



Detroit-Toledo & Ironton Railroad Detroit-Toledo & Ironton Railroad DT&I work car ca. 1921

Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad

Item: 47-D     New Listing     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800s-early 1900s
Forged by the Adams & Westlake Co.
Superb stamp marks and two-tone patina.
Of the two DT&I switch keys,
this key is the more difficult to find.

History - continued from above

In 1963, the DT&I, itself by then a subsidiary of the Pennsylvania Railroad, once again gained control of the AA. The Ann Arbor lines would later become part of the formation of Conrail in April 1976 but were still facing abandonment. They were purchased by the state of Michigan in October 1977 with the intent of preserving rail service over its tracks. Subsequently, the state divested itself of the lines and remnants of the AA are now owned and operated by several short line railroad companies (including one with the same name as the original).

Click on image to view larger picture



Des Moines Union Railway Des Moines Union Railway DMU-bridge

Des Moines Union Railway

Item: 49-D     Price: $115.00

Remarks: ca. mid-1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive stamp marks and gold patina.
Iowa short line.

History

The Des Moines Union Railway was incorporated in 1886 as a jointly owned union railroad between the Wabash St. Louis and Pacific Railroad, which reached Des Moines in 1882; and the Chicago, Milwaukee St. Paul & Pacific (Milwaukee Road) which reached Des Moines in 1882 as well. It was owned 50/50 between the two railroads. Along with serving the Wabash and Milwaukee Road, it would later serve the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy along with the Chicago Great Western.

Des Moines Union Railway now owned by Norfolk Southern.

Click on image to view larger picture



Durham & Southern Railroad Dighton & Somerset Railroad Dighton & Somerset train depot

Dighton & Somerset Railroad

Item: 51-D     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. pre-1927
Forged by the Wilson Bohannan Co.
Attractive stamp marks and gold patina.
A rare 1!

History

The Dighton and Somerset Railroad was a railroad that ran between Fall River, Massachusetts and Braintree, Massachusetts. It opened in 1866; from the 1890s to the 1930s and again in the late 1950s, it was the primary rail route from Boston to the South Coast. Passenger service ended in stages with the final regular service in 1958, though freight service on two short segments continues into the 21st century. MBTA Commuter Rail service is proposed to be extended onto the northern part of the line around 2030 as part of the South Coast Rail project.

Click on image to view larger picture



Duluth-Missabe & Northern Railroad Duluth-Missabe & Northern Railroad DM&N R.R. Flag

Duluth-Missabe & Northern Railway

Item: 53-D         Price: $100.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800s-early 1900s
Forged by the Adams & Westlake Co.
Ex-fine pocket-ware and great gold patina.
Early bird DM&N key!

History

The Duluth, Missabe and Northern Railway (DM&N) was a railroad company in the U.S. state of Minnesota. It was one of the earliest iron ore hauling railroads of the area, said to have built the largest iron ore docks in the world, and later was one of the constituent railroads in the merger that formed the Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Railway.

The DM&N was incorporated in 1891 and the first load of iron ore was shipped to Superior, Wisconsin, in October, 1892. The formation of the railway was necessary after the discovery of high-grade Mesabi iron ore near Mountain Iron, Minnesota by the "seven iron men." The DM&N was taken over by "John D. Rockefeller" who sold the railroad to the United States Steel Corporation. The D&IR itself was sold to a steel interest, Illinois Steel,which itself eventually became part of United States Steel resulting in both railroads coming under ownership of the same company. The railroads continued to run independently until the DM&N leased the D&IR in 1930 with both eventually merged in March of 1938 as the Duluth-Missabe & Iron Range Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Duluth-Missabe & Northern Railroad Duluth-Missabe & Northern Railroad How the West was Won.    How the West was Won.    How the West was Won.

Duluth-Missabe & Northern Railway

Item: 54-D     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800s-early 1900s
Forged by the Adams & Westlake Co.
Great stamp marks and gold patina.

Click on image to view larger picture




Duluth-South Shore & Atlantic Railroad Duluth-South Shore & Atlantic Railroad DSS&A R.R. Flag

Duluth-South Shore & Atlantic Railway

Item: 56-D     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. 1904-21
Forged by the S.R. Slaymaker Co.
Excellent serif stamp marks and copper patina.
Given the moniker, "Damn Slow Service and Abuse."

History

The Duluth-South Shore & Atlantic Railway (DSS&A) was an American railroad serving the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the Lake Superior shoreline of Wisconsin. It provided service from Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, and St. Ignace, Michigan, westward through Marquette, Michigan to Superior, Wisconsin, and Duluth, Minnesota. A branchline stretched northward from Nestoria, Michigan up to the Keweenaw Peninsula and terminating at Houghton, Michigan, with two branches extending further to Calumet, Michigan and Lake Linden, Michigan.

Click on image to view larger picture



Duluth-South Shore & Atlantic Railroad Duluth-South Shore & Atlantic Railroad DSS&A Ry.

Duluth-South Shore & Atlantic Railway

Item: 57-D     Price: $110.00

Remarks: ca. 1904-21
Forged by the S.R. Slaymaker Co.
Excellent serif stamp marks and gold patina.

History

The first predecessor of the DSS&A began operations in 1855. The railroad fell under the control of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) in 1888, and was operated from 1888 until 1960 as an independently nameplated subsidiary of the CPR. In 1949, a reorganization of the DSS&A took place, creating new heralds and designating the company a railroad instead of a railway. In 1961, the DSS&A was folded into the CPR-controlled Soo Line Railroad. Since 2001, the remaining operating trackage of the former DSS&A has been operated by the Canadian National Railway (CN). The original DSS&A trackage still operated is now limited to the areas between Trout Lake and Munising Junction, Ishpeming and Baraga, and White Pine and Marengo Junction.

The original DSS&A trackage still operated is now limited to the areas between Trout Lake and Munising Junction, Ishpeming and Baraga, and White Pine and Marengo Junction.

Click on image to view larger picture



Duluth-Winnipeg & Pacific Railway Duluth-Winnipeg & Pacific Railway DWP R.R. Flag

Duluth-Winnipeg & Pacific Railway

Item: 59-D     Price: $80.00

Remarks: ca. mid-1900s
Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice stamp marks and gold patina.
Given the moniker, "Delivered With Pride."

History

The Duluth-Winnipeg & Pacific Railway (reporting mark DWP) is a subsidiary railroad of Canadian National Railway (CN) operating in northern Minnesota, United States. A CN system-wide rebranding beginning in 1995 has seen the DWP logo and name largely replaced by its parent company. The DWP line is CN's connection between International Falls and Duluth, Minnesota, where the railroad connects to a short stretch of the former Duluth-Missabe & Iron Range Railway before following the former Wisconsin Central (both now wholly owned by CN) to Chicago, Illinois. In December 2011, the Duluth-Winnipeg & Pacific Railway was merged into Wisconsin Central Ltd., which is also controlled by Canadian National Railway. This merger was intended to increase efficiency.

Click on image to view larger picture



Switch Key Directory Switch Key Directory

Switch Key Directory

American Railway's Switch Key Directory

Price: HC-$25.00 | CD-$35

Whether your just starting out collecting switch key's or you have been a collector for many years, this 44 page switch key directory is a useful tool. Although, it does not list every railroad key there is, the directory has a 3-D diagram for the most common railroad keys in the collectors circle. With a CD, you can copy the directory to your hard drive and view and enlarge the pages on your computer screen. Price does not include shipping fees.

Upon request, I will "three ring" the pages for a book binder.

Click on image to view larger picture



D.S. Key & Lock Directory D.S. Key & Lock Directory

Don Stewart's Railroad Switch Keys and Padlocks

Switch Keys and Locks Directory

Price: HC-$65.00 | CD-$55

One of the lesser known railroad directories is Don Stewart's Railroad Switch Keys and Padlocks Directory. The book includes 56 pages of switch key pictures, 12 pages of switch lock pictures, 12 supplemental pages including, 2 Canadian key picture pages and 32 pages of railroad names. It's another handy tool for beginners and even veteran collectors. The book contains 117 pages in all and is a ink jet printed copy of the original book. As noted, the CD copy is less expensive than a hard copy. The reason; printer ink and paper prices. With a CD, you can copy the directory to your hard drive and view and enlarge the pages on your computer screen. Price does not include shipping fees.

Upon request, I will "three ring" the pages for a book binder.

Click on image to view larger picture



Dates quoted for keys are approximate dates. Railroad switch keys initials (reporting mark) are assumed to be correct and accurate.
Comments on any railroad initials origin, including (typos), are welcome. Last update 02/02/2023

Top

contact webmaster