CN Freight Train - 16th St. Chicago

  Contact RRT | Misc. | Locks | Keys | Home | Lanterns | Picture Gallery | Payment  

"a website for the railroad enthusiast"

All Key Sales are Final
Front Side: Galesburg & Great Eastern Railroad Back Side: Galesburg & Great Eastern Railroad Locomotive support facilities.    BR R.R. Flag

Galesburg & Great Eastern Railroad

Item: 1-G     Price: $225.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Eagle Lock Co.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina. Chartered in 1911.

History

The Galesburg & Great Eastern was a railroad which operated in Knox County, Illinois in the United States. Knox County is located in western Illinois, about 180 miles southwest from Chicago.

This interesting railroad ran until the early 1960's, hauling coal from a mine located at Victoria, Illinois to Wataga, Illinois, a distance of ten miles (16 kilometers). Although early plans indicated that the road would extend on to Galesburg (a major railroad center nine miles away), ultimately, the railroad would go there in name only.

When the coal arrived at Wataga it was usually transferred to a CB&Q train and taken to Chicago. On occasion the rail lines also hauled other freight, including grain from area elevators. The G&GE usually operated two round trips per day with a typical train consisting of an engine and a dozen hopper cars. Although it maintained a variety of locomotives it was not uncommon to obtain units from other railroads.

In the late 1950s the coal supply from the Little John Mines was exhausted. The Stonefort Corp. which was the last operator finally declared, "no coal-no railroad" and the line was abandoned.

It has often been asked why the Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad didn't include the name Galesburg? It is interesting to note that the early plans of the Galesburg & Great Eastern Railroad would be extended to Galesburg, however it would to there in name only.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Georgia Midland Railroad Back Side: Georgia Midland Railroad GM R.R.

Georgia Midland Railroad

Item: 2-G     Price: $95.00

Remarks: Chartered in 2004. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and patina. Short lived Georgia short line.

History

The Georgia Midland Railroad was a shortline railroad that operated several lines in Georgia that it acquired in 2004 from the initial operations of Ogeechee Railway.

In 2009 the Georgia Midland was purchased by Pioneer RailCorp from Atlantic Western Transportation Company, the holding company for the Heart of Georgia Railroad. Pioneer renamed the railroad as the Georgia Southern Railway. Hauling an average of 5000 carloads per year of aggregate sand, stone, farm products and wood, the Georgia Midland Railroad connected with the Norfolk Southern Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Georgia Central Railroad Co. Back Side: Georgia Central Railroad Co. GN R.R. Flag

Georgia Central Railroad Co.

Item: 3-G     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Bohannan forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina. Early CofG key.
Same style bit as CofG key. A gem!

History

The Central of Georgia Railway started as the "Central Rail Road & Canal Company" in 1833. As a way to better attract investment capital, the railroad changed its name to "Central Rail Road & Banking Company of Georgia." This railroad was constructed to join the Macon & Western Railroad at Macon, Georgia, and run to Savannah. This created a rail link from Chattanooga, on the Tennessee River, to seaports on the Atlantic Ocean. It took from 1837 to 1843 to build the railroad from Savannah to the eastern bank of the Ocmulgee River at Macon; a bridge into the city was not built until 1851. During the Savannah Campaign of the American Civil War, conducted during November and December 1864, Federal troops tore up the rails and converted them into "Sherman's neckties".

In 1907 railroad magnate and financier E. H. Harriman gained a controlling interest in the railway, and in 1909 sold his interest to the Illinois Central Railroad, which he also controlled. In 1932, during the Great Depression, the CofG went into receivership, from which it did not emerge until 1948. In 1956, the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway (Frisco), seeking a route to Atlantic Ocean ports, gained control of the CofG, but the Interstate Commerce Commission declined to approve a merger of the two roads, so the Frisco sold its CofG stock to the Southern Railway in 1963.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Great Northern Railroad Back Side: Great Northern Railroad GN R.R. Flag

Great Northern Railway

Item: 4-G     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina.

History

The Great Northern Railway was an American Class I railroad. Running from Saint Paul, Minnesota, to Seattle, Washington, it wasthe creation of 19th century railroad tycoon James J. Hill and was developed from the Saint Paul & Pacific Railroad. The GN's route was the northernmost transcontinental railroad route in the U.S. The Great Northern was "the only privately funded and successfully built transcontinental railroad in U.S. history". No federal land grants were used during its construction, unlike all other transcontinental railroads. In 1910 the Great Northern fell victim to the deadliest avalanche in U.S. history at the site of the defunct town of Wellington, Washington. In 1881 James J Hill took over the 1856 charter of the Minneapolis & St. Cloud Railroad. He first used its franchises to build the Eastern Railway of Minnesota from Hinckley, Minnesota to Superior, Wisconsin, and Duluth. Its charter was liberal enough that he chose it as the vehicle for his line to the Pacific. Hill renamed the railroad the "Great Northern Railway."

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Great Northern Railroad Back Side: Great Northern Railroad GN Ry station, Fargo

Great Northern Railway

SOLD     Price: $115.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Slaymaker Co.
Superb serif lettering and patina. Scarce A-Div. key
Great serial number, 1963!

History - continued from above

The Great Northern was opened through to Seattle in 1893 using a temporary line over Stevens Pass. GN changed little in the modern era, from the 1920s through the 1960s, apart from the industry-wide migration from steam to diesel. Hill soon acquired control of NP with the intent of merging GN, NP, CB&Q and SP&S into a single railroad. As a start, he formed Northern Securities as a holding company, but the Interstate Commerce Commission quickly ruled against such a merger. In 1927 the Great Northern Pacific Railway was incorporated to merge GN and NP and lease SP&S and CB&Q. The ICC approved the merger upon the condition that GN and NP divest themselves of the CB&Q, a condition the two Northerns were unwilling to meet. More than four decades passed before the merger went through on March 2, 1970 with the CB&Q included and indeed half the name of the merged company, the Burlington Northern Railroad (BN). BN operated until 1996, when it merged with the Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway to form the BNSF Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Great Northern Railroad Back Side: Great Northern Railroad GN R.R. Flag

Great Northern Railway

SOLD     Price: $115.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Slaymaker Co.
Superb serif lettering and patina. Great serial number, 1946!

History - See 4-G

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Great Northern Railroad Back Side: Great Northern Railroad BNSF-logo

Great Northern Railway

Item: 7-G     Price: $100.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Fraim/Slaymaker Co.
Superb serif lettering and patina.
i = Seattle Division

History - See 4-G

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Georgetown Railroad Back Side: Georgetown Railroad Georgetown R.R. Flag

Georgetown Railroad

SOLD     Price: $175.00

Remarks: Chartered May 31, 1878. Forged by A&W Co.
Low serial number. Texas shortline went belly up in 1879.
Superb block lettering and gold patina.
Key is a over a century old and still a beauty.

History

The original Georgetown Railroad Company was chartered on May 31, 1878, with a commitment to build a railroad the approximately 10 mile distance between Georgetown and Round Rock. The headquarters was in Georgetown. The nternational-Great Northern Railroad stepped in and purchased the Georgetown Railroad and merged it into their system. The proceeds of the first stock offering was about $50,000, and the end of 1878, the GRR had connected Georgetown to Round Rock. Soon, the railroad found itself in difficult financial straits and George M. Dilly, acting for the receiver of the International & Great Northern Railroad, (I&GN) purchased the Georgetown. Operations merged with that company in 1882.

The branch was operated by the I&GN and its successors until 1959, when it was sold to the new Georgetown Railroad Company.

This company was incorporated on July 25, 1958, to acquire about eight miles of the Georgetown branch then owned by the Missouri Pacific, as successor to the I&GN. The new company acquired the property on March 16, 1959. Although it serves other customers, the major industry on the Georgetown Railroad is the large quarry of the Texas Crushed Stone Company, located near Georgetown. On June 3, 1991, the Georgetown Railroad acquired that portion of the Belton Railroad east of I-35 at Belton and began operating this line as its Belton Subdivision. In 1990 the Georgetown Railroad owned seventeen locomotives and 1,299 cars.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Georgia & Florida Railroad Back Side: Georgia & Florida Railroad G&W R.R. Flag

Georgia & Florida Railroad

Item: 10-G     Price: $35.00

Remarks:Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Macon-Dublin & Savannah style cut.
In 1907, Seaboard purchased a controlling interest
in the MD&S. In 1958 it was fully absorbed into the SAL. A rarity!

History

The Georgia & Florida Railroad was a railroad in the Southern U.S., with a main line from Madison, Florida to Greenwood, South Carolina. The Southern Railway gained control in 1963, reorganized it as the Georgia & Florida Railway, and merged it into subsidiary Central of Georgia Railroad in 1971.

Most of the G&F was assembled by John Skelton Williams, former president of the Seaboard Air Line Railway, between 1906 and 1911.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Genesee & Wyoming Railroad Back Side: Genesee & Wyoming Railroad G&W R.R. Flag

Genesee & Wyoming Railway

Item: 11-G     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

The G&W has a interesting flag herald, logos of Rail Link
subsidiaries have a coupler in the center. Example: G&W herald logo

History

Genesee & Wyoming Inc. is a short-line railroad holding company that owns or maintains interests in 120 railroads throughout five countries (the United States, Canada, Australia, Belgium, and the Netherlands), and operates more than 15,500 miles (24,900 km) of owned and leased track, with more than 3,300 miles (5,300 km) under additional track-access arrangements. The company had its roots in the Class III Genesee and Wyoming Railroad, which began in 1899.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Genesee & Wyoming Railroad Back Side: Genesee & Wyoming Railroad Huron Central train in Massey, Ontario, Canada

Genesee & Wyoming Railway

Item: 12-G     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Superb serif lettering and dark patina.
Given the moniker, "Guilford Fail System."

History - continued from above

Genesee & Wyoming Railroad, predecessor of Genesee & Wyoming Inc., was purchased out of bankruptcy in 1899 by Edward L. Fuller. At that time, the railroad was operating as a 14.5 miles (23.3 km) long single-track line serving a single customer, a salt mine owned by Fuller in Retsof, NY. It was still operating the same line for the salt mine when Mortimer B. Fuller III, great grandson of Edward L. Fuller, purchased the railroad in 1977. The holding company, Genesee & Wyoming Railroad Inc., was organized during the same year, and the railroad became its subsidiary.

With deregulation of the rail industry by the Staggers Rail Act of 1980, railroads began disposing of unprofitable routes. Genesee & Wyoming acquired several of these short line railroads, scattered across the United States, from 1985 to 1996. Its acquisitions began including railroads in other countries in 1997

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Gulf-Mobile & Ohio Railroad Back Side: Gulf-Mobile & Ohio Railroad GM&O R.R. Flag

Gulf-Mobile & Ohio Railroad

SOLD     Southern Division     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Superb box lettering and dark patina.

History

The Gulf-Mobile & Ohio Railroad GM&O was a Class I railroad in the central United States whose primary routes extended from Mobile, Alabama, and New Orleans, Louisiana, to St. Louis, Kansas City, and Chicago. From its two parallel lines through eastern Mississippi, the GM&O also served Montgomery and Birmingham, Alabama, as well as Memphis, Tennessee.

The Gulf-Mobile & Ohio (GM&O) was incorporated in Mississippi on November 10, 1938, to acquire the properties of the Mobile & Ohio Railroad (M&O) and Gulf-Mobile & Northern Railroad (GM&N). It acquired the M&O through foreclosure sale on August 1, 1940, and was consolidated with the GM&N on September 13, 1940. The new railroad extended from New Orleans, Louisiana, and Mobile and Montgomery, Alabama, north to St. Louis.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Gulf-Mobile & Ohio Railroad Back Side: Gulf-Mobile & Ohio Railroad 12th St. coach yard

Gulf-Mobile & Ohio Railroad

Item: 14-G     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Adlake forged.
Nice box lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

During World War II, GM&O trimmed several branches from its system, consolidated shop facilities, and otherwise tightened up the organization. In 1944 the railroad began to investigate acquiring the bankrupt Alton Railroad, which extended from Chicago to St. Louis and from Springfield, Illinois, west to Kansas City. On May 31, 1947, GM&O merged with the Alton and became a Great Lakes-to-Gulf carrier

GM&O merged with IC on August 10, 1972, forming the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad (ICG). In 1996 IC sold off former GM&O lines to other railroads. On February 11, 1998 IC was purchased by the Canadian National Railway (CN) with the integration of operations beginning on July 1, 1999.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Georgia Power Company Back Side: Georgia Power Company Atlanta 1915

Georgia Power Company

Item: 15-G     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Georgia Interurban Ry & Power Co.
Attractive serif lettering and two-tone patina.

History

Georgia Power is an electric utility headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, United States. It was established as the Georgia Railway and Power Company and began operations in 1902 running streetcars in Atlanta as a successor to the Atlanta Consolidated Street Railway Company.

Originally the Georgia Railway and Power Company, it began in 1902 as a company running the streetcars in Atlanta, and was the successor to the Atlanta Consolidated Street Railway Company. In the 1930s, the company published a free newsletter called Two Bells which was distributed on its streetcars; Two Bells was still distributed into the 1960s on the buses of successor Atlanta Transit Company (ATC). From 1937 until 1950, Georgia Power also operated trolleybuses in Atlanta, and in 1950 its network of 31 electric bus routes was the largest trolley bus system in the United States. After the Atlanta transit strike of 1950, the Atlanta Transit Company took over operations. Atlanta Streetcar was formed in the 2000s to establish a new streetcar service along Peachtree Street.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Grand Trunk Pacific Railway Back Side: Grand Trunk Pacific Railway GTP last spike    GT R.R. Flag    GTP surveyors

Grand Trunk Pacific Railway

Item: 16-G     New Listing     Price: $345.00

Remarks: Operated 1914-1920. Subsidiary of GT Ry.
Block lettering and superb patina. A very rare key.

The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (reporting mark GTP) was a historical Canadian transcontinental railway running from Winnipeg to the Pacific coast at Prince Rupert, British Columbia. East of Winnipeg the line continued as the National Transcontinental Railway (NTR), running across northern Ontario and Quebec, crossing the St. Lawrence River at Quebec City and ending at Moncton, New Brunswick. The entire line was managed and operated by Grand Trunk Railway.

By 1919 it was obvious that the GTPR was not paying its way. The financial strain broke on March 7 when GTR defaulted on repayment of construction loans to the federal government, whereby the GTPR was nationalized and taken over by a Board of Management operating under the Department of Railways and Canals while legalities were resolved. On July 12, 1920 the GTPR was placed under the management of Crown corporation Canadian National Railways (CNR) and in 1923 was completely absorbed into the CNR.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Grand Trunk Railway Back Side: Grand Trunk Railway GT R.R. Flag

Grand Trunk Railway

Item: 17-G     Bldg. & Bridge     Price: $115.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Great stamp marks!
Superb serif lettering and gold patina. Beside the B&B stamp,
LB stamped twice on the front and once on the back side.

The Grand Trunk Railway (reporting mark GT) was a railway system that operated in the Canadian provinces of Quebec and Ontario, and in the American states of Connecticut, Maine, Michigan, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont. The railway was operated from headquarters in Montreal, Quebec, with corporate headquarters in London, England (4 Warwick House Street). The Grand Trunk, its subsidiaries, and the Canadian Government Railways were precursors of today's Canadian National Railways.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Grand Trunk Railroad Back Side: Grand Trunk Railroad Grand Trunk locomotive in 1859

Grand Trunk Railroad

Item: 18-G     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Short tapered barrel.
Superb serif lettering and two-tone patina.

History - continued from above

Nearing bankruptcy in 1919, the entire system was nationalized. In 1923 the government merged the Grand Trunk, the Grand Trunk Pacific, the Canadian Northern and the National Transcontinental lines into the new Canadian National Railways. The Grand Trunk lines, however, kept its distinctive name.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Grand Trunk Railroad Back Side: Grand Trunk Railroad Grand Trunk locomotive in 1859

Grand Trunk Railroad

Item: 19-G     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Short tapered barrel.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

Nearing bankruptcy in 1919, the entire system was nationalized. In 1923 the government merged the Grand Trunk, the Grand Trunk Pacific, the Canadian Northern and the
National Transcontinental lines into the new Canadian National Railways. The Grand Trunk lines, however, kept its distinctive name.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Grand Trunk Western Railroad Back Side: Grand Trunk Western Railroad GT R.R. Flag

Grand Trunk Western Railroad

Item: 20-G     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Great block lettering and carmel patina.

History - See 17-G

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Grand Trunk Western Railroad Back Side: Grand Trunk Western Railroad GT R.R. Flag

Grand Trunk Western Railroad

Item: 21-G     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Fraim Co.
Signal box key. Superb block lettering and patina.
Super low serial number. A real beauty!

History - See 17-G

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Grand Trunk Western Railroad Back Side: Grand Trunk Western Railroad A 1909 photograph of a Grand Trunk Western locomotive and crew at the Durand, Michigan roundhouse

Grand Trunk Western Railroad

Item: 22-G     Price: $25.00

Remarks: ca. mid-late 1900's. Keyline forged.
Block lettering and nice gold patina.

History - See 17-G

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Grand Trunk Western Railroad Back Side: Grand Trunk Western Railroad GT R.R. Flag

Grand Trunk Western Railroad

Item: 23-G     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid-late 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and carmel patina.

History - See 17-G

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Graysonia-Nashville & Ashdown Railroad Back Side: Graysonia-Nashville & Ashdown Railroad GN&A Engine

Graysonia-Nashville & Ashdown Railroad

SOLD     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged?
Superb block lettering and gold patina.
Key is listed in the "American Railways Switch Key Directory."

History

The carrier was incorporated October 25, 1922, under the general laws of Arkansas. The articles of incorporation are dated August 29, 1922, which is recorded as the date of organization. The purpose of incorporation was to acquire and operate that part of the railroad formerly owned by the Memphis, Dallas & Gulf Railroad Company, extending from Ashdown to Shawmut, Ark., about 61 miles.

The carrier is an Arkansas corporation, having its principal office at Nashville, Ark. The records reviewed do not indicate that the carrier is controlled by any company, firm, or individual, or that it controls any common-carrier corporation.

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Grand Rapids & Indiana Back Side: Grand Rapids & Indiana GR&I RR Flag

Grand Rapids & Indiana Railway

Item: 25-G     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Operated 1854-1918.
Dark block lettering and ex-fine pocket ware. Superb gold patina.
The GR&I merged into the Pennsy. Rare key

History

The Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad at its height provided passenger and freight railroad services between Cincinnati, Ohio and the Straits of Mackinac in Michigan, USA. The company was formed on January 18, 1854. After grappling with financial difficulties for many years, the company opened service between Bridge Street in Grand Rapids, Michigan to Cedar Springs, Michigan on December 25, 1867, a distance of about 20 miles. By 1869 the railroad was again in trouble with its creditors, and the courts appointed a receiver, Jesse L. Williams of Fort Wayne, Indiana, to control the company. Under Williams' direction, the Continental Improvement Company was hired on May 1, 1869 to complete the line between Fort Wayne and Little Traverse Bay in Michigan. Fifty-one days later, on June 21, 1869, the Continental Improvement Company had laid the last rail connecting Cedar Springs to Morley, Michigan. Williams was discharged as receiver on June 20, 1871. By 1907 four passenger trains were running north to and from Mackinaw City daily. Passenger train fares were not enough to support the railroad and ridership declined. In 1909 the railroad reported a profit of 24.4 cents for every passenger for each mile carried; by 1921 the railroad was losing 19.5 cents per passenger mile. In 1918, the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad was bought by the Pennsylvania Railroad now Conrail.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: GG Railway Back Side: GG Railway GG R.R. Flag

GG Railway

Item: 26-G     coach key     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. A rarity.
Great serif lettering and patina.

History

The original Brooklyn-Queens Crosstown Local service began on August 19, 1933, as a shuttle between Queens Plaza on the IND Queens Boulevard Line and Nassau Avenue. This service was designated GG because the IND used double letters to indicate local service. Starting on April 24, 1937, GG trains were extended to Forest Hills-71st Avenue during rush hours, serving as the Queens Boulevard local while E trains ran express west of Continental Avenue. The entire IND Crosstown Line was completed on July 1, 1937, including the connection to the IND Culver Line. GG service ran at all times between Forest Hills-71st Avenue and Church Avenue. Soon after, it was cut back to Smith-Ninth Streets.

The 1939 World's Fair was served by GG trains, some of which were marked as S Special, via the short lived IND World's Fair Line to Horace Harding Boulevard. Trains were extended to the World's Fair Station at all times during the fair, supplemented by PM hour E trains. The fair closed on October 28, 1940, and GG service was truncated back to Forest Hills-71st Avenue.

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Grand Trunk Railroad Back Side: Grand Trunk Railroad Wabash R.R. Flag

Grand Trunk Railroad

Item: 27-G     coach/caboose key     Price: $25.00

Click on image to view larger picture


H



Front Side: Hannibal & Naples Railroad Back Side: Hannibal & Naples Railroad Wabash R.R. Flag

Hannibal & Naples Railroad

Item: 1-H     Price: $325.00

Remarks: ca. 1800's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and gold patina. A rarity!
Absorbed into the Wabash Railroad. Excellent stamp marks!

History

Although called the Pike County Railroad Company, this commercial entity was dominated by the business interests centered in Hannibal. In 1857, that city was situated within a slave state and hosted a local marketplace in which African Americans were sold as laborers in lifelong bondage. Construction of the Pike County Railroad would make Hannibal an interregional hub linking the Missouri River valley to the west with central Illinois and other transport connections to Chicago, Buffalo, Toledo, and market centers east.

The city of Hannibal owned the largest share of stock in the PCRC and the company's board of directors was dominated by entrepreneurs based in that city. After initial efforts toward planning, designing, and surveying the railroad route over a few years, the PCRC was reorganized in 1863 as the Hannibal and Naples Railroad Company, which was again dominated by business interests in Hannibal.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Hamilton Belt Railway Back Side: Hamilton Belt Railway B&O R.R. Flag    CSX R.R. Flag

Hamilton Belt Railway

Item: 2-H    Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Attractive serif lettering and nice patina.

History

The 2.9-mile Hamilton Belt Railway operated entirely within Hamilton from 1898 until 2012, serving several industries on the citys' West Side. Its prime customer for 114 years was Champion Papers (later SMART Papers). By 1926, Champion was dispatching 18 to 20 cars of paper daily, and bringing in an average of 144 box cars and 55 coal cars each week. In 1926, HBR tracks were purchased by the B&O. By 1940, Champion's Hamilton mill rail yards had more than 20 miles of track with several steam locomotives shuttling cars around the clock. HBR began losing business to trucks after World War II. It had no locomotives or cars and was worked in succession by the CH&D, the B&O, CSX and, after 1988, by privately-owned short line companies.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Harbor Belt Line Railroad Back Side: Harbor Belt Line Railroad PHL 101

Harbor Belt Line Railroad

Item: 3-H     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Attractive serif lettering and nice patina.

History

The Pacific Harbor Line (reporting mark PHL) was formed in 1998 to take over the Harbor Belt Line (HBL). In 1998, the Alameda Corridor was nearing completion, allowing a massive amount of railroad traffic from the largest harbors in the Western hemisphere: Port of Los Angeles and Port of Long Beach. The railroad has 18 route miles with a web of 59 miles of track.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Harbor Belt Line Railroad Back Side: Harbor Belt Line Railroad Houston East & West Texas Ry depot-Burke

Harbor Belt Line Railroad

Item: 4-H     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Attractive block lettering and superb carmel patina.
Nice early Belt key.

History - continued from above

The PHL was formed to create a level playing field for shippers. Up to that time, the HBL was owned and operated by the major railroads in Los Angeles; the Southern Pacific, the Santa Fe Railway and the Union Pacific. The PHL, in contrast, is privately owned by the Anacostia & Pacific Company. It operates on tracks and facilities owned by the ports.

PHL was the first railroad to have its locomotive fleet composed only of Tier II and Tier III "clean diesel" locomotives.
Pacific Harbor Line was named the 2009 Short Line Railroad of the Year by Railway Age magazine.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Hutchinson & Northern Railroad Back Side: Hutchinson & Northern Railroad HN R.R. Flag

Hutchinson & Northern Railroad

Item: 5-H     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Stamped "HN" on both sides of key.
Attractive serif lettering and superb patina.
Started as a electic trolley line.

History

The company began operating in 1923, when its electrified Carey Saltin wells serving the freight line was introduced. HN currently operates a switching and terminal service from a connection with UP and BNSF at Hutchinson to Salt Mine, KS (5.1 miles). Traffic is mainly salt.

The following information was taken from the "Electric Railway Journal," dated March 7, 1914. The construction began with a 14 mile line, laying track from Hutchinson to Burrton. From Burrton the line will be extended west to Nickerson, Sterling and Great Bend, with Dodge City as the eventual terminus.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Hoboken Shore Railroad Back Side: Hoboken Shore Railroad Hoboken Shore Railroad     HS R.R. Flag     Hoboken Shore Railroad

Hoboken Shore Railroad

SOLD     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Large hilt, Fraim forged?
Superb block lettering and superb patina.

History

Hoboken Shore Railroad is a New Jersey railroad which started as the Hoboken Manufacturers Railroad (reporting mark HMR) in 1897, and was then renamed in 1954. It ran along the Hoboken waterfront, serving as a "terminal switching railroad for all connecting carriers", between the Erie Railroad in Weehawken and the Hoboken Piers. The HMR operated car float service to serve the Maxwell House plant, though it did not own any tugs or barges. It was abandoned in the late 1970s, after the demise of the Hoboken Piers.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Hocking Valley Railroad Back Side: Hocking Valley Railroad HV R.R. Flag

Hocking Valley Railroad

Item: 8-H     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged?
Attractive block lettering and gold patina.

History

The Hocking Valley Railway was a railroad in the U.S. state of Ohio, with a main line from Toledo to Athens and Pomeroy via Columbus. The earliest predecessor of the Hocking Valley was the Mineral Railroad, incorporated in April 1864 to build from Athens in the rich Hocking Valley to Columbus. It also had several branches to the coal mines of the Hocking Valley near Athens. The company became part of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway system in 1910 and the line between Toledo and Columbus continues to see trains as CSX Transportation Columbus Subdivision. Portions of the main line south of Columbus are now operated by the Indiana & Ohio Railway and Hocking Valley Scenic Railway. When the C&O acquired control of the Pere Marquette Railway in 1929, the Hocking Valley served as its connection to the rest of the system. Finally, the Hocking Valley was merged into the C&O in April 1930.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Hocking Valley Railroad Back Side: Hocking Valley Railroad Hocking Valley train crew

Hocking Valley Railroad

Item: 9-H     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged.
Attractive serif lettering and silver patina.
This key + brass HV key below= nice set!

History - See 8-H

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Hocking Valley Railroad Back Side: Hocking Valley Railroad HV caboose

Hocking Valley Railroad

Item: 10-H     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by F-S Hdw. Co.
Superb serif lettering and carmel patina.
This key + steel HV key above = nice set!

History - See 8-H

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Houston & Texas Central Railroad Back Side: Houston & Texas Central Railroad Dallas Union Depot. Circa; 1910    H&TC R.R. Flag    Cotton scene in H&TC Railway yards, Houston, Texas

Houston & Texas Central Railroad

Item: 12-H     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Attractive serif lettering and gold patina.

History

Ebenezer Allen, a man from Galveston, Texas, obtained the charter to establish a railroad company on March 11, 1848. A series of meetings about the establishment of the company occurred in Chappell Hill and Houston. In 1852, the Galveston & Red River Railway (G&RR) company became active. The start of construction occurred on January 1, 1853, when Paul Bremond and Thomas William House broke ground in Houston. Track-laying of the 5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm) gauge railroad began in early 1856. On July 26, 1856, the track-laying extended to the 25-mile (40 km) point, at Cypress. The railroad company name changed from G&RR to H&TC on September 1, 1856. By April 22, 1861 the railroad construction had reached the 81-mile (130 km) point at Millican. Because of the American Civil War, the railroad construction was halted. In 1867, with the Civil War over, construction resumed. In 1871,the railroad track of the original Houston & Central Texas Railway line appeared in Corsicana. In 1872 the original line extended to Dallas. In 1873 the original railroad line reached Red River City,where it connected with the "Katy Railroad." This formed an all-railroad route from Texas to St. Louis, Missouri and the Eastern United States.

H&TC was sold to Charles Morganqv in March 1877 and came under Southern Pacific control when that company acquired the Morgan interests in 1883. However, the H&TC continued to be operated by its own organization until 1927, when it was leased to the Texas & New Orleans. The H&TC adopted 4' 8 1/2" gauge, now known as standard gauge, for its construction north of Corsicana as well as on the Waco line. The rest of the railroad was narrowed in three stages: Corsicana to Hearne in 1874, Hearne to Houston in 1876, and the Austin line in March 1877. Lines still operated by the Southern Pacific in 1988 included Houston to Denison, Ennis to Fort Worth, and Hearne to Giddings.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Hudson Valley Railway Back Side: Hudson Valley Railway Hudson-Valley-Map

Hudson Valley Railway

Item: 14-H     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Interurban trolley line.
Fine pocket wear, serif lettering and nice two-tone patina.

History

A New York state trolley line that operated in the Hudson Valley in the early 20th century. The line ran from Albany to Warrenburg.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Humeston & Shenandoah Railway Back Side: Humeston & Shenandoah Railway BR R.R. Flag    Humeston & Shenandoah R.R    Humeston & Shenandoah R.R    Wabash R.R. Flag

Humeston & Shenandoah Railway

SOLD     Price: $375.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and patina. A rare 1!

History

The Humeston and Shenandoah Railway (earlier Humeston and Shenandoah Railroad until 1896) was part of a collection of railroad lines built as a westward extension to the Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska Railway across southern Iowa, USA, in the last half of the 19th century. These lines were later exclusively operated, during the 20th century, by the Burlington Route. The Humeston and Shenandoah was originally envisioned as part of a strategy to allow Jay Gould and his Wabash Railroad to reach Omaha, Nebraska. The line's construction was contested, however, by the Burlington Route, and eventually Gould compromised and allowed the H&S Railroad to be built as a joint initiative with the Burlington. Upon completion of construction, the H&S line was leased for operation to a company owned jointly by the Wabash and the Burlington on April 1, 1881, and operated for their joint accounts. This arrangement continued until the Wabash bankruptcy of 1899, after which the line was operated by the Burlington Route under lease.

The H&S fell on hard times as the Great Depression, the advent of the automobile, improved roads, public subsidies for those roads, and trucks came along in the late 1920s. Freight and passenger traffic declined and the H&S was abandoned in pieces starting with the line segment from Norwich to Clarinda, Iowa, during the height of the Great Depression (December 1935). Other segments abandoned were the Shenandoah to Norwich segment in April 1938; Clarinda to Merle Jct. in December 1945; and Cleafield to Humeston, also in December 1945. The last and final segment of the H&S to disappear was the trackage between Merle Jct. and Clearfield, Iowa, which was abandoned in 1983.

The H&S was built across the hilly terrain of southern Iowa and the line suffered operationally from steep ruling grades, numerous curves and many trestles had to be built and maintained. Loss of timber trestles due to fire led to many of the line segments being put up for abandonment. The southern Iowa economy has generally lagged behind much of the remainder of Iowa and the Midwest, and the H&S suffered from a lack of industrial development along its line. The line's revenue base relied too much on coal, products of agriculture, and passenger operations for it to remain profitable once autos and trucks came to the area of southern Iowa.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad Back Side: Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad H&BTM train

Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad

Item: 16-H     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History

The Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad and Coal Company was chartered on May 6, 1852, and organized on January 10, 1853. The purpose of the line was to provide a rail link from Huntingdon to Bedford, and to provide a competitive alternate route to local coal producers to break the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad's monopoly on coal that was being shipped from the Cumberland, Maryland, area. The existence of high quality semi-bituminous coal in the Broad Top Mountain region was known since colonial times. Before the railroad, wagon or pole barge was the only practical method of bringing the coal from the remote region to market.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad Back Side: Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad H&BTM 2-8-0 No.38

Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad

Item: 17-H     Price: $165.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Heart = master key.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

The 31 mile portion of the main line from Huntingdon to Hopewell, via Saxton and Riddlesburg, was completed in 1855. On February 3, 1859, the Bedford Railroad Company was chartered to provide a railroad connection for Bedford, and was incorporated February 19, 1859. This company, with financial assistance from the Pennsylvania Railroad, built a line from Mount Dallas to Hopewell in July 1863, connecting with the H&BTM. It was merged into the H&BTM on August 17, 1864. Total track mileage at the company's height was just over 72 miles.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad Back Side: Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad H&BTM 2-8-0 No.38

Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad

Item: 18-H     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History - continued from above

The railroad was at its height in the last decades of the 19th century and the pre-World War I period of the 20th century. The completion of the Bedford Division allowed the PRR to divert most of the lucrative through traffic from the Cumberland area away from the H&BTM. The decline of the Broad Top Mountain coal fields, the maturity of construction bonds, and many ill-advised right of way improvements and equipment purchases took their financial toll. The Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad declared bankruptcy on October 11, 1953, operated its last passenger train in November 1953, and ceased operations on March 31, 1954.

Click on image to view larger picture



Dates quoted for keys are approximate dates. Railroad switch keys initials (reporting mark) are assumed to be correct and accurate.
Comments on any railroad initials origin, including (typos), are welcome. Last update 02/06/2018

Top

contact webmaster