CN Freight Train - 16th St. Chicago

  Contact RRT | Misc. | Locks | Keys | Home | Lanterns | Picture Gallery | Payment  

"a website for the railroad enthusiast"

All Key Sales are Final
Front Side: Kansas City-Memphis & Mobile Railroad Back Side: Kansas City-Memphis & Mobile Railroad Frisco RR Flag

Kansas City-Memphis & Mobile Railroad

Item: 2-K     Price: $225.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Fine pocket wear.
Handsome tapered barrel. Superb serif lettering and patina.
Low serial number. A great looking key!


In reference to this key, I was once asked, "how can I sell a railroad switch key if the railroad never came to fruition under its original name?" My reply: There have been hundreds of railroads in history that were chartered under one railroad name, began laying rail, ran into financial problems and, became dormant under bankruptcy. When the economy improved, if in their interests, the railroad barons would purchase the existing line, change the name and continue with the construction of the line. Once a railroad is chartered and construction begins, a "work train" is established. Eventually, locks are utilized and switch keys issued to the work train crew. Changing the name of a railroad before the line was finished, does not make a railroad key, lock, etc., less valuable. An established railroad cannot erase the origin of it's roots simply with a name change.

History

For railroads, the 1800's proved to be not only an exciting era but turbulent too. When problems would arise, as usual, money was always the issue. The railroad industry tycoon's like; James Hill, Jay and George Gould, Cornelius Vanderbilt, Edward Harriman, Collis P. Huntington, to name a few, could only invest in so many lines at one time. Some chartered plans never made it off the drawing board. Some new railroad lines, a year or two into laying track, would change names, some more than once. The KCM&M key offered for sale is a good example of a chartered line never making it to fruition. I could find no facts or evidence that the KCM&M railroad ever generated any revenue. After three years, the line was still being built when once more, it reached financial difficulties and was eventually gobbled up by the "Frisco Railroad".

The Kansas City Osceola & Southern Railroad was originally chartered in 1871 as the Kansas City Memphis & Mobile Railroad. Between 1871 and 1874 the company did grading from Kansas City to Harrisonville and from North Clinton to Osceola. The company failed without laying any rails.

The Kansas City & Southern Railway was chartered in 1880 and acquired the unfinished grade of the Kansas City Memphis & Mobile. In 1883-84 it built from North Clinton to Lowry City. In 1885 it extended the line from Lowry City south to North Osceola, across the Osage River from Osceola proper, and built from North Clinton north to East Lynne. In 1889 it completed the line from East Lynne to Knoche Junction in Kansas City. The Kansas City & Southern went into receivership and was reorganized in April, 1891 as the Kansas City Osceola & Southern Railway. In 1897 the Kansas City Osceola & Southern signed a traffic contract with the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad", calling for the railroad to be extended south to meet the Frisco's-Springfield & Northern branch, at Bolivar. (The S&N line had been built in 1884). The KCO&S constructed a bridge across the Osage River and extended its line into Osceola in 1897, and in 1898 continued building south from Osceola to Bolivar.

The Frisco had been given the right to purchase the Kansas City Osceola & Southern under the 1897 traffic contract, and in June, 1900 they exercised this right and acquired the KCO&S, which thereby became the northern portion of the Frisco's Kansas City Branch.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad Back Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad KCS RR Flag

Kansas City Southern

Item: 4-K     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Handsome elongated barrel.
Excellent block lettering and patina. A very nice KCS oldie.

History

The Kansas City Southern Railway Company (KCS), owned by Kansas City Southern, is the smallest and second-oldest Class I railroad company still in operation. KCS was founded in 1887 and is currently operating in a region consisting of ten central U.S. states. KCS also owns and indirectly operates Kansas City Southern de Mexico (KCSM) in the central and northeastern states of Mexico, and is the only Class I Railroad to own any track both inside and outside of Mexico's boundaries. (Ferromex is the only other Class I operating in Mexico). Including all trackage owned by wholly owned subsidiaries, KCS owns a total of approximately 6,000 route miles of track.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad Front Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad Southern Belle Pullman Express poster    Southern Belle Pullman Express poster    Southern Belle Pullman Express poster

Kansas City Southern Railway

Item: 5-K     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Excellent serif lettering and patina.
Given the moniker, "The Haywire."

History - continued from above

Arthur Edward Stilwell began construction on the first line of what would become the Kansas City Southern Railway in 1887, in suburban Kansas City, Missouri. Together with Edward L. Martin, Stilwell built the Kansas City Suburban Belt Railway, which was incorporated in 1887 and began operation in 1890, serving the Argentine District in Kansas City, Kansas; Independence, Missouri; and the riverside commercial and industrial districts of Kansas City. While the Belt Railway was a success, Stilwell had a much bigger dream. Over the ensuing decade, the line grew through construction and acquisition of other roads, such as the Texarkana & Fort Smith Railway, to become a through route between Kansas City and Port Arthur, Texas, with the final spike being driven north of Beaumont, Texas, on September 11, 1897, the Kansas City-Pittsburg & Gulf Railroad Company (KCP&G) was completed. In 1939, another mainline between Dallas and New Orleans, via Shreveport, Louisiana, was added through the acquisition of the Louisiana & Arkansas Railway (L&A). From 1940 to 1969, Kansas City Southern operated the Southern Belle passenger train between Kansas City and New Orleans, along with regular freight transportation.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad Back Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad KCS border train

Kansas City Southern Railway

Item: 6-K     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering. Nice gold patina.
Different style cut than the two KCS keys above.

History - continued from above

In June 2009 the Kansas City Southern began operating on new trackage between Victoria and Rosenberg, Texas, known as the Macaroni Line. The line was built in 1882 and was called the Macaroni Line because the main food for the workers constructing the line was macaroni. In 1885 it was acquired by Southern Pacific Railroad, which operated the 91-mile line until 1985; by the early 1990s the tracks were mostly torn out. In 2006 KCS announced they would rebuild the Macaroni Line (through subsidiary Tex Mex) to end the need for trackage rights on a circuitous Union Pacific route. Construction began on January 2009 and the line opened for the first trains in over 20 years by June 2009. The line now operates daily trains and has CTC signaling.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad Front Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad KCS  train at Hunt Yd in Greenville, TX

Kansas City Southern Railway

Item: 7-K     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Fraim forged.
Attractive block lettering and excellent patina.
Might be a signal key.

History - See 4-K

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad Front Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad KCS RR Flag

Kansas City Southern

Item: 8-K     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Fraim forged.
Attractive block lettering and excellent patina.
Same style cut as key above.

History - See 4-K

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad Front Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad Postcard ca. 1948

Kansas City Southern Railway

Item: 9-K     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Great silver patina.
Attractive block lettering.

History - See 4-K

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City-Mexico & Orient Railway Back Side: Kansas City-Mexico & Orient Railway KCM&O R.R. inauguration 1902

Kansas City-Mexico & Orient Railway

SOLD     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Excellent block lettering and nice patina.
A popular railroad = few in circulation.

History

The Kansas City-Mexico & Orient Railway, started in 1900 by American railroad entrepreneur Arthur Edward Stilwell, was the predecessor to the Chihuahua al Pacifico railroad in Mexico. It was intended to reach the Pacific Ocean at Topolobampo, Sinaloa.

The United States portion was incorporated in 1900 as the Kansas City-Mexico & Orient Railway, and completed between Wichita, Kansas and Alpine, Texas. Grading took place between El Dorado, Kansas and Bazaar, Kansas. Primary shops were first located in Fairview, Okla. In 1910 the Fairview shops were destroyed by fire and the shops were then reestablished in Wichita. It was forced into bankruptcy in 1912, but its receiver William T. Kemper was to make a fortune when oil was discovered under its tracks. In 1914, it was reorganized as the KCM&O Railroad. Another reorganization in 1925 returned it to its original name. It was popularly called The Orient railroad.

The KCM&O was acquired by the Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway in 1928, mainly to gain access to the west Texas oil fields. The Santa Fe then sold the Mexican portions. Operating rights on the portion (South Orient Rail Line) from San Angelo to Presidio later were awarded to Texas Pacifico Transportation.

At the end of 1925, KCM&O and KCM&O of Texas together operated 738 miles of road on 859 miles of track; they reported a total of 330 million net ton-miles of revenue freight and 8 million passenger-miles.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Railway Back Side: Kansas City Railway Kansas City postcard showing cable-powered streetcars

Kansas City Railway

Item: 12-K     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Nice serif lettering and gold patina. Key has a unique style bit.
Most likely from the Kansas City Transit era (1960-69).

History

The Kansas City Public Service Company was the most well known name for a series of public transit operators in Kansas City, Missouri, USA, until being sold to the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority in 1969. Streetcar operations in Kansas City began as horsecar operations in 1869, followed by cable cars and electrification after the 1880s. There were five operators during the consolidation and post-consolidation period: Metropolitan Street Railway Company (1886-1914), Kansas City Railway Company (1914-1925), Kansas City Public Service Company (1925-1960), Kansas City Transit (1960-1969). Kansas City acquired 184 PCC streetcars after 1941, but streetcar operations ceased by 1957. Over the history of streetcar operations, there were 25 streetcar lines in Kansas City. Twenty-nine of the PCC cars were later acquired by the Toronto Transit Commission. One car, ex-TTC 4752, is now located at the Western Railway Museum in Rio Vista, California. PCC #551 has been restored and is on display at Union Station. One of the most famous routes, "The Country Club Line", still had rail until the 1990s when it became a hike/bike recreation trail. Other segments of streetcar line could still be found around the city in 2013.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Terminal Railway Back Side: Kansas City Terminal Railway KCT RR Flag

Kansas City Terminal Railway Co.

Item: 14-K     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Nice block lettering and fine pocket wear. Great yellow-gold patina.
Low serial number. Key could be a brother of KCT key below.

History

The Kansas City Terminal Railway (KCT) is a Class III railroad terminal railroad that serves as a joint operation of the trunk railroads that serve the Kansas City metropolitan area, the United States' second largest rail hub. It is operated by the Kaw River Railroad.

The railway was created after a series of floods in 1903, 1904, and 1908 inundated the West Bottoms each time and temporarily closed the Union Depot there. The 12 original trunk railways of the city at the time joined together to build the new Union Station and to coordinate the bridges and switches that serve the city. Under an Interstate Commerce Commission order, the railway operated and then oversaw the liquidation of the "Rock Island Line" from 1979 to 1980.

The railway owns and dispatches 85 miles of track (25 in Kansas and 60 in Missouri) and leases six locomotives and no freight cars. It no longer owns Union Station. It has subcontracted its maintenance operations to BNSF.

The original trunk railroads that were owners of the Kansas City Terminal were:

Alton Railroad, Atchison-Topeka & Santa Fe Railway, Chicago-Burlington & Quincy Railroad, Chicago Great Western Railway, Chicago-Milwaukee-St. Paul & Pacific Railroad, Chicago-Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, Kansas City Southern Railway, Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad, Missouri Pacific Railroad, St. Louis-San Francisco Railway, Union Pacific Railroad and the Wabash Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Terminal Railway Back Side: Kansas City Terminal Railway Freshly painted KCT locomotive WAMX No.2005

Kansas City Terminal Railway Co.

Item: 15-K     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb gold patina. Nice block lettering and ex-fine pocket wear.
Low serial number. Key could be a brother of KCT key above.

History See 11-K

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Terminal Railway Back Side: Kansas City Terminal Railway KCT No.76 (SW1200)

Kansas City Terminal Railway Co.

Item: 16-K     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and patina.

History - See 11-K

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Terminal Railway Back Side: Kansas City Terminal Railway Aerial view of KC Union Station.

Kansas City Terminal Railway Co.

Item: 17-K     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and dark patina.

History - See 11-K

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kentucky & Indiana Terminal Railroad Back Side: Kentucky & Indiana Terminal Railroad K&IT RR Flag

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal Railroad

Item: 18-K     Price: $35.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and carmel patina.

History

In 1880, both the Kentucky and Indiana state legislatures authorized the Kentucky & Indiana Bridge Company to build a bridge between New Albany, Indiana, and Louisville, Kentucky (in the Portland area). The original bridge was built from 1881-1885 and had one railroad track, in addition to space for wagons/buggies and pedestrians to cross. In 1893 the company went into receivership, and in 1900 it was bought out by the B&O Railroad, the Monon Railroad, and the Southern Railroad. The name was changed to the Kentucky & Indiana Bridge and Railroad Company that year, and in 1910 it became the Kentucky & Indiana Terminal Railroad Company. A new bridge was built from 1910-1912. The K&IT RR was purchased by the Southern Railroad in December of 1981. The next year, Southern merged with Norfolk & Western to form the Norfolk Southern railroad, which still owns the bridge today.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas-Oklahoma & Gulf Railway Back Side: Kansas-Oklahoma & Gulf Railway Muskogee Company

Kansas-Oklahoma & Gulf Railway

Item: 19-K     New Listing     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb block lettering and patina.

History

The Kansas-Oklahoma & Gulf Railway (reporting mark KOG) (KO&G) was formed on July 31, 1919 from the assets of the bankrupt Missouri-Oklahoma & Gulf Railway. The KO&G largely consisted of a single line from Baxter Springs, Kansas, to Denison, Texas, prior to its purchase by Missouri Pacific's Texas & Pacific Railway in 1964 and merger in 1970.

The KO&G owed much of its latter existence to its status as a bridge line between the Missouri Pacific at Okay, Oklahoma and the Missouri Pacific-controlled Texas & Pacific Railway at Denison, Texas. This traffic was the main source of revenue for the KO&G and was the primary reason that the MP acquired it.

The KO&G came under common control of the Muskogee Company (often referred to as the "Muskogee Roads" or the "Muskogee Lines") in 1925, sharing common management with the Midland Valley Railroad and the Oklahoma City-Ada-Atoka Railway from 1930 to 1964.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Kaw Valley & Western Railroad Front Side: Kansas City Kaw Valley & Western Railroad Kansas City Kaw Valley & Western No.27

Kansas City Kaw Valley & Western Railway

Item: 20-K     Price: $115.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Attractive block lettering and great gold patina.

History

The Kansas City Kaw Valley & Western Railway (reporting mark KV&W) was an interurban electric railway that ran between the American cities of Lawrence, Kansas, and Kansas City, Missouri, between 1914 and 1963. Passenger service was eliminated on the Lawrence segment prior to its demise in 1949. The line between Kansas City, Kansas and Bonner Springs, Kansas remained an electric freight operation until 1963. Major portions of KS Highway 32 are built on the original roadbed.

The line was opened in 1914 between Kansas City and Bonner Springs, Kansas. In 1916 the line extended to Lawrence. The line had 75 passenger station stops.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Kansas City Northwestern Railroad Back Side: Kansas City Northwestern Railroad MoPac R.R. Flag

Kansas City Northwestern Railroad

Item: 21-K     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's.
Attractive serif lettering and superb carmel patina.
Operated 16 years 1893-1909.

History

Chartered in 1893, the Kansas City Northwestern Railroad was sold to the Missouri Pacific Railroad Corporation of Nebraska in 1909,
and did not become part of the reorganized Missouri Pacific Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Kansas City Northwestern Railroad Back Side: Kansas City Northwestern Railroad AL&G train crew, Iron Mountain station 1911

Kansas City Northwestern Railroad

Item: 22-K     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and patina. Operated 16 years 1893-1909.

History - See 18-K

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad Back Side: Kansas City Southern Railroad KCS RR Flag

Kansas City Southern Railroad

Item: 23-K     coach/caboose key     Price: $25.00

Click on image to view larger picture


L


Front Side: Lackawanna & Montrose Railroad Back Side: Lackawanna & Montrose Railroad Lackawanna R.R. Flag

Lackawanna & Montrose Railroad

Item: 2-L     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Unique style bit.
Superb serif lettering and patina. A nice Lackawanna rarity!
Line part of the DL&W's interurban service.

History

The Lackawanna & Montrose was incorporated September 30, 1889, The main line extends westerly from Alford to Montrose, 9.931 miles. The company also owns 1.803 miles of yard tracks and sidings. Its road thus embraces 11.734 miles of all tracks owned and used. The Lackawanna & Montrose is controlled by the Delaware-Lackawanna & Western Railroad Company and its railroad comprises the Montrose branch of the latter carrier's system.

This line ran from Montrose to Alford, where it connected with the Delaware & Lackawana line. Some sections of this line were turned into modern Mountain Riding Trails.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lake Ontario Railroad Back Side: Lake Ontario Railroad DL&W R.R. Flag

Lake Ontario Railroad

Item: 4-L     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. A rarity.
Nice block lettering and patina.
Same style cut as a NYNH&H key.

History

The Lake Ontario Shore Railroad was a short-lived common carrier railroad in New York that was absorbed by the Rome-Watertown & Ogdensburg Railroad.

The LOSRR was chartered to be built from Suspension Bridge, New York to Oswego, New York in 1858. The Lake Ontario Shore Railroad Company was founded in Oswego on March 27, 1868. Under Chief Engineer James Ross, work commenced in August 1871 in Red Creek, New York. Tracks were open to Oswego, New York in 1873.

Despite heavy support from on-line and planned on-line communities, the LOSRR was unable to handle its great financial obligations. Reasons include a lack of manufacturing industries, bypassing Rochester, New York and close competition with the New York Central Railroad. Construction only got as far as Kendall, New York. On September 22, 1874 the railroad was sold in court under foreclosure to the Rome-Watertown & Ogdensburg Railroad, who reorganized the railroad as the Lake Ontario Railroad Company on September 29. On October 22, this company and the RW&O made an agreement to consolidate, which was filed with the New York Secretary of State on December 23, 1875.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisiana & Arkansas Railway Back Side: Louisiana & Arkansas Railway L&A R.R. Flag

Louisiana & Arkansas Railway

Item: 5-L     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and two-tone patina.

History

The Louisiana & Arkansas Railway (LA) was a railroad that operated in the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. The railroad's main line extended 332 miles, from Hope, Arkansas to Shreveport and New Orleans. Branch lines served Vidalia, Louisiana (opposite Natchez, Mississippi), and Dallas, Texas.

The Louisiana & Arkansas Railroad was incorporated in Arkansas in 1898 for the purpose of acquiring former logging railroad properties in Arkansas and Louisiana. The railroad was constructed and initially operated under the leadership of William Buchanan, a prosperous timberman with extensive investments in southwest Arkansas and northwest Louisiana. Buchanan's partners were Harvey C. Couch and William Edenborn. Buchanan's primary company, Bodcaw Lumber Company, was headquartered in Stamps, Arkansas, and that city also served as headquarters of the L&A until the late 1920s. It was reorganized in 1902 as the Louisiana & Arkansas Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisiana & Arkansas Railway Back Side: Louisiana & Arkansas Railway LA 1st locomotive

Louisiana & Arkansas Railway

Item: 6-L     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina. Elongated barrel.
Post merger LA&T style cut, see LA&T 9-L key below.

History - continued from above

The Harvey Couch interests began purchasing stock of the Kansas City Southern Railway (KCS) in 1937. After gaining control of the KCS in 1939, a decision was made to merge the two properties. Kansas City Southern was the surviving corporation, with the Louisiana & Arkansas as a KCS subsidiary, but the KCS president and the controlling stockholders were all from the L&A. This merger created "single line" railroad freight service between Kansas City and New Orleans, and on September 2, 1940, a new KCS-L&A diesel powered streamliner, the Southern Belle, was inaugurated to connect the two cities.

The identity of the Louisiana & Arkansas gradually disappeared in the 1950s and 1960s, as the Kansas City Southern name was adopted for all properties. By 1966, all reference to the Louisiana & Arkansas had disappeared from the annual stockholder reports of Kansas City Southern. The Shreveporter, once the pride of the L&A, was discontinued on January 24, 1962, and the Southern Belle was discontinued on November 2, 1969, ending all passenger train service on the former Louisiana & Arkansas. In 1992, Kansas City Southern dissolved the subsidiary Louisiana & Arkansas Railway, although the former L&A route continues to be a major component of the Kansas City Southern.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisiana & Arkansas Railway Back Side: Louisiana & Arkansas Railway L&A R.R. Flag

Louisiana & Arkansas Railway

Item: 7-L     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Great block lettering and superb patina.
Post merger LA&T style cut, see LA&T 9-L key below.

History - See 5-L

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisiana & Arkansas Railway Back Side: Louisiana & Arkansas Railway Louisiana & Arkansas 10 wheeler

Louisiana & Arkansas Railway

Item: 8-L     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and carmel patina.
Post merger LA&T style cut, see LA&T key below.

History - See 5-L

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Louisiana-Arkansas & Texas Railroad Back Side: Louisiana-Arkansas & Texas Railroad MKT R.R. Flag

Louisiana-Arkansas & Texas Railway

SOLD     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Attractive block lettering and patina.

History

The Louisiana-Arkansas & Texas Railway Company was chartered on March 27, 1923, as the Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company of Texas; its name was changed on April 14, 1930. Early directors included H. C. Couch of Pine Bluff, Arkansas; C. P. Couch of Shreveport, Louisiana; Louis Tobian of Dallas; J. P. Dowell of McKinney, Texas; T. J. Taylor, Jr., of Jefferson; J. J. Bond of Ft. Worth; Pat Neff of Waco; and John D. Middleton of Greenville. The main office was in Greenville.

In 1929 the Louisiana & Arkansas Railway acquired and leased the Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company and gained control of the Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company of Texas. The line in Texas was renamed to reflect the change in control. The LA&T operated a 181 mile line from McKinney to the Texas-state line near Waskom. On July 15, 1932, the line began service between Greenville and Dallas via trackage rights over the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad Company of Texas. Effective October 17, 1937, the Dallas entry was changed to the Gulf-Colorado & Santa Fe Railway Company from Farmersville. In 1933 the company owned fifteen locomotives, 160 freight cars, eleven passenger cars, and fifty-five company service cars. Earnings that year were $3,567 from passengers, $763,054 from freight, and $73,788 in other revenue. The LA&T was merged into the Louisiana & Arkansas on July 1, 1939.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lake Erie & Eastern Railroad Back Side: Lake Erie & Eastern Railroad LE&E R.R. Flag

Lake Erie & Eastern Railroad

Item: 9-L     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and two-tone patina. Low serial number.
This key + LE&W key below = nice set.

History

The Lake Erie & Eastern was incorporated March 28, 1904, under the general laws of the State of Ohio, for the purpose of constructing and operating a railroad extending from a connection with the Youngstown branch of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Company at Struthers, Ohio, to Brier Hill, in the city of Youngstown, Ohio, a distance of about 7 miles. Pursuant to the above purpose, the Lake Erie & Eastern constructed a railroad from Struthers to Brier Hill, Ohio. On June 14, 1912, this company acquired the property, rights, and franchises of the Lake Erie-Youngstown & Southern Railroad Company, which company was incorporated on November 18, 1902, under the general laws of the State of Ohio.

The Lake Erie & Eastern is a corporation of the State of Ohio, having its principal office at Youngstown, Ohio. The company is controlled jointly by The Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Company and The Mahoning Coal Railroad Company through ownership of a majority of its capital stock. On the other hand, the records do not indicate that this company, itself, controls any common-carrier corporation. The property of the Lake Erie & Eastern has been operated by its own organization during its entire life.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lake Erie & Western Railroad Back Side: Lake Erie & Western Railroad LE&W R.R. Flag

Lake Erie & Western Railroad

Item: 10-L     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Bohannan Co.
Superb serif lettering and patina. Stylish accent ring.
This LE&W style bit is very similar to style below, minus the slit.
A very early LE&W key! This key + LE&W "RY" key below = nice set.

History

The Seney Syndicate linked several short railroads in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois to form the Lake Erie & Western Railroad in 1879 and 1880. The Lake Erie & Western extended from the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway at Fremont, Ohio 350 miles westward to Bloomington, Illinois.

In 1900, the Lake Erie & Western came under the control of the New York Central Railroad. After operating it as a separate entity for two decades, the New York Central sold the Lake Erie & Western to the Nickel Plate Road in 1922.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lake Erie & Western Railway Back Side: Lake Erie & Western Railway Railcars weighing down railroad bridge in Noblesville, IN

Lake Erie & Western Railway

Item: 11-L     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged?
Nice serif lettering and patina.
This key + LE&W "RR" key above = nice set.
Key listed in the "American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History - See 10-L

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Little Miami Railroad Back Side: Little Miami Railroad PRR Flag    LM R.R.

Little Miami Railroad

Item: 12-L     New Listing     Price: $175.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged?
Attractive block lettering and patina.

History

The Little Miami Railroad was a railway of southwestern Ohio, running from the eastern side of Cincinnati to Springfield, Ohio. By merging with the Columbus and Xenia Railroad it created the first through rail route from the important manufacturing city of Cincinnati to the state capital, Columbus.

On February 23, 1870, the Little Miami Railroad leased in perpetuity, renewable forever, all of its assets, including the DX&P, the D&W, and the C&X, to the Pittsburg, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railway, retroactive to December 1, 1869. The rent was $480,000 per year. The PC&St.L was part of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and the Pennsy co-signed the lease, guaranteeing the payments and other conditions. At the time of the lease, the LMRR system consisted of 195.65 miles (314.87 km) of track.

The LMRR continued to exist as a separate corporation even though much of the stock was owned by the Pennsy. When the Pennsy's successor, the Penn Central company, collapsed into bankruptcy in 1970, the LMRR was still active. It would become part of Conrail and merged out of existence December 23, 1981.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Long Island Railroad Back Side: Long Island Railroad LI switcher

Long Island Railroad

Item: 15-L     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and patina.
Different style cut then Long Island key below.
This LI key has a curved barrel bit.

History

The Long Island Rail Road (LI), legally known as the Long Island Rail Road Company and often abbreviated as the LIRR, is a commuter rail system in southeastern New York, stretching from Manhattan to the eastern tip of Suffolk County on Long Island. With over 334,000 daily passengers, it is the busiest commuter railroad in North America. It is also one of the few commuter systems in the world that runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year-round. It is publicly owned by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, as MTA Long Island Rail Road. The current LIRR logo combines the circular MTA logo with the text Long Island Rail Road, and appears on the sides of trains. The LIRR is one of two commuter rail systems owned by the MTA, the other being "Metro-North Railroad". Established in 1834 and having operated continuously since then, it is the oldest U.S. railroad still operating under its original name and charter.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Long Island Railroad Back Side: Long Island Railroad Long Island Station

Long Island Railroad

Item: 16-L     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Nice serif lettering and superb rustic dark patina.
This LI key has a straight barrel bit.

History - continued from above

The LIRR is relatively isolated from the rest of the national rail system. It connects with other railroads in just two locations: West of Harold Interlocking in Sunnyside, Queens LIRR trains enter the Amtrak-operated Northeast Corridor leading to the East River Tunnels. When this track was owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad, trains of the PRR connected to the LIRR at Penn Station. During the 1920's and 1930's a through sleeper was carried by PRR and LI RR trains from Pittsburgh to Montauk, called the "Sunrise Special". In Glendale, Queens, the LIRR connects with CSX's Fremont Secondary, which leads to the Hell Gate Bridge and New England; however, once trains leave the secondary, they enter LI Railroad trackage.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisville & Interurban Railroad Back Side: Louisville & Interurban Railroad L&I RR Interurban rail car No.907

Louisville & Interurban Railroad

Item: 17-L     New Listing     Price: $145.00

Remarks: Operated From 1901-35. A very nice key!.
Superb block lettering and patina.

History

The Louisville & Interurban Railroad (L&I) was an interurban line that operated in and around Louisville, Kentucky during the first half of the 20th century. The first line opened in 1901 to LaGrange. The next lines, one to Jeffersontown and the other to Prospect opened in 1904. Subsequent routes were built to Okolona (1905), Orell (1907), and Fern Creek (1908). In 1911, L&I acquired the Louisville & Eastern Railroad. The L&E consisted of lines from Louisville to Shelbyville and La Grange. From 1931-1935, all routes were abandoned. The L&I was owned by the Louisville Traction Company, which also operated local streetcar service through Louisville Railway Company.

Click on image to view larger picture


Front Side: Louisville & Nashville Railroad Back Side: Louisville & Nashville Railroad L&N R.R. Flag

Louisville & Nashville Railroad

Item: 20-L     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Hilt is slightly bent but fine.
Superb block lettering and patina.
Given the moniker, "The Old Reliable."

History

The Louisville & Nashville Railroad (LN) was a Class I railroad that operated freight and passenger services in the southeast United States. Chartered by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in 1850, the road grew into one of the great success stories of American business. Operating under one name continuously for 132 years, it survived civil war and economic depression and several waves of social and technological change. Under Milton H. Smith, president of the company for thirty years, the L&N grew from a road with less than three hundred miles of track to a 6,000-mile system serving thirteen states. As one of the premier Southern railroads, the L&N extended its reach far beyond its namesake cities, stretching to St. Louis, Missouri; Memphis, Tennessee; Atlanta, Georgia; and New Orleans, Louisiana. The railroad was economically strong throughout its lifetime, operating both freight and passenger trains in a manner that earned it the nickname, "The Old Reliable".

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisville & Nashville Railroad Back Side: Louisville & Nashville Railroad L&N Union Station 1907.    L&N engine No.500

Louisville & Nashville Railroad

Item: 21-L     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Fraim Co.
Superb block lettering and nice patina.

History - continued from above

The line to Memphis was opened in April 1861. It was a joint effort by the L&N, the Memphis & Ohio, and the Memphis-Clarksville & Louisville railroads.By then the Civil War had begun, with Kentucky on one side and Tennessee on the other. During the war Union and Confederate forces fought up and down the L&N, destroying as they went. By mid-1863 the major action of the war had moved to the Southeast. L&N began to pick up the pieces and get to business-and there was enough business that L&N prospered.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisville & Nashville Railroad Back Side: Louisville & Nashville Railroad L&N R.R. Flag

Louisville & Nashville Railroad

Item: 23-L     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Fraim Forged.
Fine pocket wear and superb carmel patina.

History - continued from above

In 1898 L&N became the sole lessee of the Georgia Railroad and the affiliated Western Railway of Alabama and Atlanta & West Point Railroad but almost immediately assigned a half interest in the lease to the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL). In April 1902 Edwin Hawley and John W. Gates acquired a large block of L&N stock which they sold within a few weeks to J.P. Morgan & Co. Before the year was over Morgan sold his L&N interest - 51 percent to the ACL. In May 1902 L&N and SOU, both under J. P. Morgan's control, jointly purchased the Monon Railroad. Many pieces of the Seaboard System Railroad were in place 80 years before the creation of that railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisville & Nashville Railroad Back Side: Louisville & Nashville Railroad Early L&N locomotive

Louisville & Nashville Railroad

Item: 24-L     Price: $35.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice block lettering and great carmel patina.
Unusual bit style.

History - continued from above

L&N was one of only a few railroads to build its own locomotives in any great numbers. Between 1905 and 1923 L&N's South Louisville Shops constructed more than 400 Consolidations, Pacifics, Mikados, and Eight-Wheel switchers. Although L&N was the largest coal hauler south of Virginia it began dieselizing relatively early. At the beginning of World War II (WWII) L&N purchased 14 Berkshires for freight and passenger service and simultaneously began dieselizing passenger trains with a fleet of EMD E6s.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisville & Nashville Railroad Back Side: Louisville & Nashville Railroad L&N R.R. Flag

Louisville & Nashville Railroad

Item: 25-L     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Adlake forged?.
Nice block lettering and great carmel patina.
One of the least abundant L&N keys circulating. A rarity.

History - See 20-L

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisville-New Orleans & Texas Railway Back Side: Louisville-New Orleans & Texas Railway L&N station

Louisville-New Orleans & Texas Railway

SOLD     New Listing     Price: $325.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's. Short tapered ring barrel.
Superb serif lettering and patina. A rarity!
Indentation on hilt = key ring.

History

Formed by C. P. Huntington in 1882 to connect Huntington-owned railroads - Southern Pacific and Chesapeake-Ohio & Southwestern to form a transcontinental railroad. The Louisville-New Orleans & Texas Railway was built between 1888 and 1890 and was admitted to the Illinois Central Railroad system in 1892. It ran between Memphis, Tennessee, and New Orleans, Louisiana, through Vicksburg, Mississippi, and Baton Rouge.

The Louisville-New Orleans & Texas Railway was itself formed by a consolidation made August 12, 1884, of the Tennessee Southern Railroad Company, the Memphis & Vicksburg Railroad Company, the New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Vicksburg & Memphis Railroad Company, and the New Orleans & Mississippi Valley Railroad Company. The LNO&T was completed in October 1884. The LNO&T was sold to the Yazoo & Mississippi Valley in Oct. 1892.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Longview-Portland & Northern Railway Back Side: Longview-Portland & Northern Railway OP&E R.R. Flag

Longview-Portland & Northern Railway

SOLD     Price: $110.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the F/S Hdw. Co.
Attractive block lettering and superb patina.

History

The Longview-Portland & Northern Railway is a historic railroad operation in the U.S. states of Oregon and Washington. It was founded by timber baron Robert A. Long, the founder of Longview, Washington. The company was incorporated in 1922.

Beginning in 1954, the "LP&N" operated a three-mile-long short-line railroad on the Oregon Coast that connected the International Paper plant to the Southern Pacific interchange just outside Gardiner, Oregon. The paper plant shut down in 1999 and was razed. All that remains of the plant is the railroad tracks and shop buildings.

In 2006, Robert Larson, president of the Oregon-Pacific & Eastern Railway (OP&E), filed with the State of Oregon for the LP&N. According to Mr. Larson, the LP&N will be a joint operation with OP&E. The "Blue Goose" logo will now become a part of the LP&N.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company Back Side: Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company Former depot Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company    Solomon Gap cut

Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company

Item: 28-L     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Ex-fine pocket wear and superb two-tone patina.
Attractive block lettering. A very nice Southern oldie!

History

The Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company of Texas was chartered on March 27, 1923, to acquire a line extending from McKinney to the Texas-Louisiana state line near Waskom. The railroad had capital stock of $200,000, and the principal office was Greenville. Members of the first board of directors were William Edenborn and E. A. Staman, both of New Orleans; Sam Brooks, R. R. Farmer, E. P. Twyman, and F. J. Phillips, all of Greenville; Paul Sippel and J. J. Tippin, both of Shreveport, Louisiana; and C. H. Morris of Winnsboro. The LR&NT was affiliated with the Louisiana Railway & Navigation Company, which operated a railroad between Shreveport and New Orleans. It was organized by Edenborn to acquire 181 miles of track between McKinney and the state line formerly operated by the Missouri-Kansas & Texas Railway Company of Texas. Operations of the LR&NT began on April 1, 1923. In 1926 the railroad owned fourteen locomotives and 323 cars and reported passenger earnings of $110,000 and freight earnings of $1,000,000. On April 14, 1930, it was renamed the Louisiana-Arkansas & Texas Railway Company.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lake Shore Electric Railroad Back Side: Lake Shore Electric Railroad LSE R.R.

Lake Shore Electric Railroad

Item: 30-L     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the Bohannan Co.
Superb serif lettering and copper patina. Ohio interurban.

History

The Lake Shore Electric Railway (LSE) was an interurban electric railway that ran primarily between Cleveland and Toledo, Ohio by way of Sandusky and Fremont. Through arrangements with connecting interurban lines, it also offered service from Fremont to Fostoria and Lima, Ohio, and at Toledo to Detroit and Cincinnati.

The Lake Shore Electric at its height offered multiple-unit trains of interurban cars to and from Cleveland and Toledo. These trains would split in Fremont on the west and at Ceylon Junction (a passenger station on the former S&I line east of Huron at the connection with the former TF&N branch to Norwalk) on the east. After splitting, some cars would travel via the Huron, Sandusky and Castalia northern route and others would go via the Norwalk, Monroeville, Bellevue, and Clyde southern route. The service was scheduled so the cars would re-join at Fremont and Ceylon Junction, respectively, to continue on to their destinations of Toledo or Cleveland as a train.

Lake Shore Electric went into bankruptcy on October 5, 1932. It continued operation under court ordered receivership thereafter until abandonment. As its passenger business waned with the increasing number of private automobiles on paved roads and the effects of the Depression, it outlasted most connecting interurban lines by concentrating on freight business.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad Back Side: Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad LS&MS RR Advertisement

Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad

Item: 31-L     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Excellent block lettering and gold patina.
This key + key below = nice set.

History

The Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway, established in 1833 and sometimes referred to as the Lake Shore, was a major part of the New York Central Railroad's Water Level Route from Buffalo, New York, to Chicago, Illinois, primarily along the south shore of Lake Erie (in New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio) and across northern Indiana. The line's trackage is still used as a major rail transportation corridor and hosts Amtrak passenger trains, with the ownership in 1998 split at Cleveland between CSX to the west and Norfolk Southern in the east.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad Back Side: Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad LS&MS R.R.

Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad

Item: 32-L     New Listing     Price: $145.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Excellent block lettering and gold patina.
Different style bit than LS&MS key above.
This key + key below = nice set.

History - continued from above

Around 1877, Cornelius Vanderbilt and his New York Central & Hudson River Railroad gained a majority of stock of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway. The line provided an ideal extension of the New York Central main line from Buffalo west to Chicago, along with the route across southern Ontario (Canada Southern Railway and Michigan Central Railroad). On December 22, 1914, the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad merged with the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway to form a new New York Central Railroad. While the original main line was to the south of Sandusky Bay between Toledo and Elyria, the northern alignment (the Sandusky Division) eventually became the main line. The NYC's destiny (Conrail) was 62 years away.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad Back Side: Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad LS&MS R.R.    LS&MS R.R.

Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad

Item: 33-L     New     car key     Listing     Price: $135.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Bohannan forged
Stylish ring barrel and great patina. Key has a smaller barrel
opening than standard LS&MS switch key. Rarer of the two.

History - continued from above

In October 1867 the Cleveland-Painesville & Ashtabula Railroad leased the Cleveland & Toledo Railroad. The CP&A changed its name to the Lake Shore Railway on March 31, 1868, and on February 11, 1869, the Lake Shore absorbed the Cleveland & Toledo. On April 6 the Michigan Southern & Northern Indiana Railroad and Lake Shore merged to form the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway, which absorbed the Buffalo & Erie Railroad on June 22, giving one company the whole route from Buffalo to Chicago.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad Back Side: Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad LS&MS R.R's engine shop, Norwalk, CT

Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad

Item: 34-L     Price: $135.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Tool house key.
Superb serif lettering and patina. A nice rarity!
This key + key above = nice set.

History - See 31-L

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Louisiana & North West Railroad Back Side: Louisiana & North West Railroad L&NW Engine No.44

Louisiana & North West Railroad

Item: 35-L     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Handsome dark serif lettering.
Superb two-tone patina and nice pocket wear.

History

Chartered in 1889, the Louisiana & Northwest Railroad (LNW) is a short-line railroad headquartered in Homer, Louisiana. LNW operates a 62.6-mile line in Arkansas and Louisiana from McNeil, Arkansas (where it interchanges with Union Pacific Railroad), to Gibsland, Louisiana (where it interchanges with Kansas City Southern Railway). The 6.5-mile (10.5 km) section from McNeil to Magnolia, Arkansas, is leased from Union Pacific.

LNW was incorporated in 1889. On June 10, 2008, Patriot Rail Corporation announced that it had purchased LNW for an undisclosed amount.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lancaster & Quarryville Railroad Back Side: Lancaster & Quarryville Railroad Lancaster station

Lancaster & Quarryville Railroad

Item: 36-L     Price: $295.00

Remarks: Operated from 1875-1915. Superb serif lettering and
two-tone patina. A very rare key that was most likely
issued (#2), in it's first year of operation, 1875.

History

This line started out as the Lancaster & Quarryville Railroad and was completed in 1875. Originally planned to be a narrow gauge route under the name Lancaster & Reading Narrow Gauge Railroad in 1871, the decision to make it standard gauge was decided shortly before construction began in 1874. As with most railroads in rural Pennsylvania, it carried both passengers and freight. Passenger service along the line ceased in 1909. A few years later, the L&Q merged with the Pennsylvania Railroad on April 30th, 1915. The railroad was severely damaged by flooding caused by Hurricane Agnes on June 23-24, 1972, and was abandoned soon after. Today, numerous bridges remain, along with three stations, and some warehouses with doorsills still at boxcar-floor height. A few bits of rails can be seen here and there, as well as various cuts and fills. Thanks to Tom Richards for contributing information about this route.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lehigh Valley Railroad Back Side: Lehigh Valley Railroad LV R.R. Flag

Lehigh Valley Railroad

Item: 37-L     Price: $100.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Attractive block lettering.
Short accent ring barrel and superb patina.

History

The Lehigh Valley Railroad (LV) was one of several Class I railroads located in the Northeastern United States, and was built for the purpose of transporting anthracite coal.
It was sometimes known as the "Route of the Black Diamond," named after the anthracite it transported.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lehigh Valley Railroad Back Side: Lehigh Valley Railroad Lehigh Valley Railroad, Sayre Station

Lehigh Valley Railroad

Item: 38-L     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and patina. Series B and C keys listed below.

History - continued from above

Anthracite coal was discovered in Summit Hill, Pennsylvania in 1791. The only practical means to transport the coal to a sizable market was to ship it down the often unnavigable Lehigh River. A canal was constructed, and by the 1820s the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Company had a near-monopoly on the mining and transportation of coal in the region. To break the monopoly and also to improve transportation, the Delaware-Lehigh-Schuylkill & Susquehanna Railroad was incorporated in 1846 to build a line from Mauch Chunk to Easton, Pennsylvania, where the Lehigh River flows into the Delaware. Construction did not begin until 1851, but then with the management and the financing of Asa Packer work began in earnest. The railroad was renamed the Lehigh Valley Railroad (LV) in 1853, and it was opened from Easton to Mauch Chunk in September 1855.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lehigh Valley Railroad Back Side: Lehigh Valley Railroad LV R.R. depot

Lehigh Valley Railroad

Item: 39-L     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and patina.
Series A and C keys listed above and below.

History - continued from above

In May 1959 LV discontinued all but two of its mainline passenger trains, including the daylight "Black Diamond." Those two, the New York-Lehighton John Wilkes and the overnight New York-Toronto Maple Leaf, lasted less than two years longer. LV was one of the first major railroads to shed all passenger service and offer only freight service. Relief from passenger losses made no difference. LV's financial situation continued to worsen. In 1961 the PRR bought all the outstanding stock to protect its previous investment in the LV. LV continued to prune branches and reduce double track to single and teamed up with CNJ to eliminate duplicate lines between Easton and Wilkes-Barre. In 1972 LV assumed all of CNJ's operations in Pennsylvania.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lehigh Valley Railroad Back Side: Lehigh Valley Railroad Norfolk Southern Pays Homage; LV RR Engine No.8104

Lehigh Valley Railroad

Item: 40-L     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
attractive block lettering and gold patina.
Series A and B keys listed above.

History - continued from above

One of the conditions of the creation of the Penn Central Transportation Company (PC) in 1968 (a long-discussed merger of the PRR, NYC and the New York, New Haven & Hartford) was that LV be offered to Norfolk & Western and Chesapeake & Ohio railways. Neither wanted it. PC declared bankruptcy on June 21, 1970, and LV filed for bankruptcy protection a little over a month later on July 24, 1970. LV's situation did not improve during the next six years. Its properties were taken over by Conrail on April 1, 1976, as were those of the Erie Lackawanna, Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines, CNJ, L&HR, RDG, and PC. Most track west of Van Etten Junction, New York was considered redundant and abandoned.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Lehigh Valley Railroad Back Side: Lehigh Valley Railroad LV R.R. Flag

Lehigh Valley Railroad

Item: 41-L     Price: $60.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Superb serif lettering and patina.

History - See 37-L

Click on image to view larger picture



Dates quoted for keys are approximate dates. RRT believes the railroad company's initials stamped on each key to be the correct.
Comments on any railroad initials origin, including (typos), are welcome. Last update 12/22/2017

Top

contact webmaster